Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Featured CD : Magma : MDK

I discovered progressive rock music - to any serious extent after listening to then-current Yes and Genesis since 1983 or so - while attending high school in 1987-90. In one of the classrooms there was a most eloquent paper drawing of the Roger Dean moorglade hanging from the top of a blackboard, apparently a leftover by a pupil who attended the school sometime during the mid-70s. On the seat of a wooden chair in the same room, someone (possibly the very same person) had carved in the names of three artists I had come to know fairly well ; ELP (Brain Salad circle logo), Yes and Genesis (the latter's Lamb/And Then... logo) - and then a fourth.

"Magma". With the claw underneath. Given that I'd never heard them, I went home and read about the band in the two rock encyclopaedias I kept - the most significant being the Danish Politikens Rock Lexikon of 1985. At this point, 16 years of age, I had easily gotten into Genesis/Yes/Tull, spent a bit more time with ELP and partly struggled with King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator. But man. I had no idea what transcendent listening was all about until attempting Soft Machine's Fourth and Magma Live. I instinctively realized that after overcoming the initial confusion and fascination with THIS stuff, I'd be essentially able to grasp *everything that would ever be presented to me*.

The experience of discovering organized sound of this conceptually radical nature within the moniker of "rock" was that paradigmatic. It changed the lot of my understanding of music as medium, and I keep wondering to this very day whether this would have happened at all if not for the carvings on that chair or if I hadn't originally exposed myself to somewhat easier going adventurous rock noise.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great post, man..our experiences are similar-except Weather Report was my "fourth band" and epiphany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

My first encounter with Magma was seeing "Live" at a record show sometime in the 80s. I asked the dealer about it. I just remember him grumbling, "Sounds like Focus."

Attahk was the first album I bought and I didn't think much of it. Hearing "De Futura" later was what finally pulled me in.

Fun fact: MDK was also the reason Alex Hacke of Neubauten got into music. MDK could just be rock’s “A Love Supreme” (along with "New Gold Dream"). Love how the piano is played like a drum, creating a rhythmic drone that is simply unlike anything else.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I borrowed it at the library in 74 (because of the logo), and digged it immediately due to my love for Carl Orff Carmina Burana, Carmina Catulli and Trionfo di Afrodite.I couldnt figure where they were coming from, there was no info on that copy only their names in Kobaian.

Then a year later I heard the track Kobah from Hhai in the radio, and bought the album whithout knowing the rest. That was a surprise, and I didnt like it much. But I had payed the bucks for the album, and simply HAD to like / understand the music, so the money wasnt wasted, so I listened to it a 1000 times
    The nickle dropped and I have just loved it ever since. Its also very well recorded, one of the greatest sounding live albums I know.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

One of my all time favorite albums.

What is the story with 1989 issued "original" version of Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh called just Mekanïk Kommandöh? Was Mekanïk Kommandöh really rejected by record company or is there more to the story?

How do you think Mekanïk Kommandöh compares to MDK? I really like both versions almost to the extent that favourite on is the one I last listened.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    What is the story with 1989 issued "original" version of Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh called just Mekanïk Kommandöh? Was Mekanïk Kommandöh really rejected by record company or is there more to the story?

How do you think Mekanïk Kommandöh compares to MDK? I really like both versions almost to the extent that favourite on is the one I last listened.
    MK is better for me...Dark and gloomy...Besides it sounds more chamber like RIO....

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanik Zain View Post
    MK is better for me...Dark and gloomy...Besides it sounds more chamber like RIO....
    But no Jannick Top...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    But no Jannick Top...
    Well, Epok DVD live version with Jannick Top is the best MDK I believe...