Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs worth the price of the album NOT by a prog band but for prog lovers

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Not really, I am referring to a song so good that will make you buy the album.

I bought an album by a band called "lake" just for one song, Between the lines.

Ahh, those were the days I agonized deciding which LP i could afford to take home, and yes, many times I got an album because one or 2 songs that never aired on the radio and there was no other way to listen to it but to buy the LP

I have a few, for now this one ...

From the second Pearls Before Swine (on ESP) album, Balaklava, "Ring Thing."

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Steven (Welcome to My Nightmare, 1975) by Alice Cooper

Tori Amos - I Can't See New York (Scarlet's Walk)
    Golden Earring - Are You Receiving Me (Moontan) - I guess some might consider this album prog
    Its A Beautiful Day - White Bird (s/t)
    Last edited by flowerking; 03-29-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Steely Dan were progressive rock band, one of the best progressive rock bands actually
    Look, I'm a huge fan and I've heard their entire discog a few hundred times or so. Steely Dan were a lot of things and some of their work was obviously 'progressive', whilst other parts of it were 'jazz' and so on - but this is actually one case where an artist truly defies general classification. If anything, they were arguably the most perfectionist and coherently eclectic pop/rock band to ever assemble on any major scale - but this still doesn't render them a "prog" unit. And luckily so, I'd say.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah, Stargazer was the first thing that crossed my mind.
    The Prog Corner

I'm not a big Stones fan, but this song is special, and makes the album it's on (It's Only Rock and Roll) worth my purchase.

The Ballad of Dwight Fry - Alice Cooper. Of course, I love the rest of the album too, so its a winner all around.

This is the case with many of my "non-prog" albums. Bohemian Rhapsody is well worth the price of admission, but you get the rest of that incredible album for free.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Look, I'm a huge fan and I've heard their entire discog a few hundred times or so. Steely Dan were a lot of things and some of their work was obviously 'progressive', whilst other parts of it were 'jazz' and so on - but this is actually one case where an artist truly defies general classification. If anything, they were arguably the most perfectionist and coherently eclectic pop/rock band to ever assemble on any major scale - but this still doesn't render them a "prog" unit. And luckily so, I'd say.
    Steely Dan were vocally jazz-rock band, the best one; 90% of vocally jazz-rock in general sounds similar to pop, but it's not; even with singing, jazz-rock remains to be a part of progressive music.
    E.g. Rikki Don't Lose That Number is their huge pop hit, but e.g. Genesis recorded pop song I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) at their best (imo) album with Peter Gabriel and the song was a hit, King Crimson recorded pop song I Talk To The Wind, Caravan recorded Golf Girl, etc; pop indeed was one of ingredients of prog.

I like all of the Close To You album, but for this site, Carpenters' 'Another Song'...a full-on psychedelic finish on this one.

I suppose there's also their Klaatu 'Calling Occupants...' cover on Passage, Richard liked the Klaatu album and wanted to cover that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    The Ballad of Dwight Fry - Alice Cooper. Of course, I love the rest of the album too, so its a winner all around.
    Good call but 'Halo of Flies' is the obvious 'proggy' choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

As another example, if I give you Dave Crosby's Laughing on the If I could Only Remember My Name album, most of the other tracks are simply awesome as well.

For some reason, the folks who find the Dead progressive say the same about this album.

Are you a closet "Dead Head" Sean?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I'm not a big Stones fan, but this song is special, and makes the album it's on (It's Only Rock and Roll) worth my purchase.

Same here. I bought this album a few months ago just for this track.
    The funny thing is that I knew one of the guitar-theme's before from Mick Taylor's first solo-album, but it turned out to be a kind of revenge for him, because he wasn't credited enough on It's Only...
    But it's not just the guitar-playing, also the Moog-melody is very proggy and reminded me of Paul Fishman's Absolute Elsewhere.

^I'm not fond of It's Only Rock N Roll as an album, but that's one of the highlights.

'Can You Hear The Music' from Goats' Head Soup is worth checking out. That Leslie-guitar is amazing!

Another one came to mind: Roy Harper - The Game (from HQ)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Another one came to mind: Roy Harper - The Game (from HQ)
    Love it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The second half of this has a bit of a Canterbury sound. (I see JJ88 just mentioned it.)

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

The Two Sides of Tony McPhee - The Hunt

Bloodrock - D.O.A.

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You

Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quite often, when it comes to certain threads here, I'm reminded of this scene:

Banned
    Astronomy (Secret Treaties, 1974) by Blue Öyster Cult

Flaming Telepaths (Secret Treaties, 1974) by Blue Öyster Cult

Subhuman (Secret Treaties, 1974) by Blue Öyster Cult

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    For some reason, the folks who find the Dead progressive say the same about this album.

Are you a closet "Dead Head" Sean?
    Why closet??

I saw The Dead some 9 times I had to travel 8 of times to the US to see them (usually in Syracuse), because they weren't exactly really welcome in Canada, because of the band's kling-ons.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I'm not fond of It's Only Rock N Roll as an album, but that's one of the highlights.

'Can You Hear The Music' from Goats' Head Soup is worth checking out. That Leslie-guitar is amazing!
    From Goat's Head , I tend to retain Angie, Star Star and my fave TRS track ever : dooo dooo dooo (Heartbreaker)

And from It's Only, I retain the t/t and Dance Little Sister

That's why I like that Made In The Shade compilation so much. Never needed the Taylor-era albums

Just like with Hot Rocks, I never needed a Brian Jones-era album or with Sucking in the 70's, I never needed a Ron Wood era album

Just

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Astronomy (Secret Treaties, 1974) by Blue Öyster Cult
    Svet,

citing three tracks from the same album kinds of defeats the purpose of this thread
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Light Of Day- Little River Band 1978

I heard this one and I knew I wanted the album

Riff Raff - Original man