Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Country Music: What's real and what's fake?

Country Music: What's real and what's fake?

Country music seems the most misunderstood of all music genres. Some people don't even consider Johnny Cash to be Country because he was never backed by steel guitar and fiddles. Loretta Lynne and Dolly Parton were trendsetters, but Blake Shelton and Taylor Swift are Nashville cookie cutter that get big sales. Where does outlaws like Willie Nelson fit into all this. What's the difference between Nashville Country and Bakersfield Country?

So, what's real Country Music?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

CM is a broad category, anybody that wants in is welcome.

When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be about "fake cowboys" pretending to be country singers because it's a relatively high-selling genre right now. That's true too.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post

So, what's real Country Music?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

The breasts are real.

Willie is real, Merle is real, Ernest Tubbs, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings... Even Marvin Rainwater! Yes I agree a lot of the new country acts are pretty fake... My pickup, a six pack, that woman, the BBQ, 4 wheelin, my daddy. Pretty formulaic.

A lot of the real deal country stars were asskickers, didnt finish school, poor roots, did time, and the accent was real because they came from the country... Hillbillies in a word.
    Still alive and well...

I had to sit through 3 hours of country music a few weeks ago and I said it sounds like a lot of 70's rock riffs either slowed down or they added the "twang" to it. I guess 4/4 time music is all going to sound the same after a while. Its just that the lyrically content was, well, country. Not much to it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I had to sit through 3 hours of country music a few weeks ago and I said it sounds like a lot of 70's rock riffs either slowed down or they added the "twang" to it. I guess 4/4 time music is all going to sound the same after a while. Its just that the lyrically content was, well, country. Not much to it at all.
    Yeah... Country music is really quite simple music and I think experimentation may be frowned upon. I always thought the marshall tucker band was able to get around and jam it up a bit. You might even say the allman bros had a country thing going.

Johnny cash was kind of the darth vader of country music... The dark side. And i think thats why he appealed to rock fans.
    Still alive and well...

Will the Circle Be Unbroken by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and a host of old-time country greats. One of the best Country/Bluegrass albums ever released:

If you play this, your dog don't die, your girlfriend comes back and your pick-up starts in the morning.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

"Country playing now said a sign across the door
    A blond in a mini skirt screaming out for more
    They're saying that it's country how about that
    It's just rock and roll in a cowboy hat"

- Slim Dusty
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Taylor Swift is about as Country as Starbucks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Taylor Swift is about as Country as Starbucks.in
    Bingo.

To me true country is Bluegrass and folk and Delta Blues.

And Honky Tonk......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    To me true country is Bluegrass and folk and Delta Blues.
    Bluegrass goes where country fears to tread... (I just made that up)
    Still alive and well...

Still alive and well...

I love bluegrass. To the point where I am really enjoying "progressive bluegrass":

To me, these are the real inheritors of the American Country tradition, not the cowboy hat-wearing commercial crap you hear on the CMA awards.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Country music seems the most misunderstood of all music genres...
    I have nothing intelligent to offer on this provocative statement. Never encountered any such 'misunderstanding.' But I'm not concerned about genres per se.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I heard a song in the store the other day that struck me as a pretty appalling formulation. A vaguely country beat, a simplistic pop riff that could've been a Katy Perry tune in another incarnation, and overtly Auto-tuned-for-effect male vocals, but with a country twang. A Frankensteined creation that should not have been. I didn't stick around to see if there was an obligatory fiddle sample thrown in.
    <sig out of order>

My wife and I enjoy 'alt-country', sort of singer songwriter pop, bluegrass, americana.
    EmmyLou Harris, Lyle Lovett, Gillian Welsh and Dave Rawlings, Lucinda Williams, Alison Krauss.
    The Goat Rodeo sessions is good.
    Some of the artists have little 'country cred' being from New York or LA.
    But they make up for it in delivery and musicianship.
    A lot of the old school country is not to my liking. I guess my life has little in common with their songs.
    I am not about to deny someone their enjoyment of music, just cause I don't like it. But, much of pop country is formulaic factory written, recycled pap.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I can enjoy some of the older stuff, very selectively. And while I don't intentionally look for country to listen to, I recently came across Chris Stapleton. Apparently he's a songwriter for some of the usual pop-country generics who was convinced to do his own thing. It's pretty damn good. His voice and songs harken back to more of that 70s sound, with a strong bluesy influence.

Chris Stapleton impressed me at the Grammys. Talented guy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbxuXq_981s As if it didn't sound annoying enough, the video takes it to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbxuXq_981s As if it didn't sound annoying enough, the video takes it to another level.
    I didn't have the sound on for my brief view of that, but it looks like it could be a rap video.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I heard a song in the store the other day that struck me as a pretty appalling formulation. A vaguely country beat, a simplistic pop riff that could've been a Katy Perry tune in another incarnation, and overtly Auto-tuned-for-effect male vocals, but with a country twang. A Frankensteined creation that should not have been. I didn't stick around to see if there was an obligatory fiddle sample thrown in.
    You mean this? ROFLMAO!

I really can't say for certain what real country music might be, but I will say that anything with an auto-tuned vocal is certainly NOT real country music.

I'm a technical manager at a Chuck E Cheese's and I had to endure hearing this awful song 6 times a day, 5 days a week for almost 2 months.
    I pretty sure I hear auto-tune on the vocals, regardless this ain't real country...