Thread: ELO - Mr Blue Sky, Is there any reason to own this?

ELO - Mr Blue Sky, Is there any reason to own this?

i just listened to a borrowed copy of the newest ELO album Mr Blue Sky, for the uninitiated this is really a Jeff Lynne solo album (where Jeff plays 'everything') containing ELO's greatest hit re-recorded by mr Lynn for the sake of "finally getting them right".
    while he does a remarkable job of making these old classics sound just like the originals one would have to ask - what is the point?
    I am very impressed that after all of these years he can make these songs sound as good as they do. however with all of the modern technology to my ears it sounds a little sterile and downright funky at times (like the digital sounding Clav in Evil Woman of synth solo on Can't Get It Out Of My Head).

I get the idea that with this album and the recent solo release of some classic covers that the Jeff Lynn well has run dry. too bad.

The point is probably copyright renewal. That said, I always thought the production on those ELO albums was really weird, so I'd be mildly interested in this from an academic standpoint. I think I'd prefer the vintage ELO sound to the kind of production he's been doing since the 90's though.

Thoughts? Hard to tell a difference? I think it's great he can still sing the same.

As I feared- massive sampled drum fail. Other than that, I like the clarity of the re-record. Definitely has the vibe of the original. That cymbal kills it though.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The motivation on a lot of these re-recordings has to with online rights management. The artists basically do clone recordings so they can negotiate directly with iTunes, etc.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    The Jeff Lynne documentary, "Mr. Blue Sky," stated that Lynne simply wanted to re-record some of the old ELO songs because such a better engineer and producer than he was back in the '70s, not to mention the advancements in recording technology. He did a few and was so happy with the results that he ended up filling an album's worth of songs.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    The Jeff Lynne documentary, "Mr. Blue Sky," stated that Lynne simply wanted to re-record some of the old ELO songs because such a better engineer and producer than he was back in the '70s, not to mention the advancements in recording technology. He did a few and was so happy with the results that he ended up filling an album's worth of songs.
    I totally agree that the first three albums are dreadfully badly recorded (especially the debut), but I doubt this is the material Lynne is aiming at...
    If like the title hints, there is no use in re-recording the post NWR stuff... that was state of the art later-70's stuff

OK, I found the TL:
    1 Mr. Blue Sky 3:44
    2 Evil Woman 4:30
    3 Strange Magic 3:53
    4 Don't Bring Me Down 4:01
    5 Turn to Stone 3:46
    6 Showdown 4:16
    7 Telephone Line 4:30
    8 Livin' Thing 3:42
    9 Do Ya 3:56
    10 Can't Get It Out of My Head 4:35
    11 10538 Overture 4:44
    12 Point of No Return 3:14

Naaaahhh!!!!.... Don't need it....

only 10583 would interest me to hear in the new version.... don't want to hear Showdown or Strange Magic reworks that would cheapen the original (Don't care for the trest of the reworked tracks on this "thingie")
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    His voice sound really decent. I'l buy it in the cut out bin (where this will unfortunately go one day).

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The motivation on a lot of these re-recordings has to with online rights management. The artists basically do clone recordings so they can negotiate directly with iTunes, etc.
    In some instances, its simply to 'own' a sound recording of your tunes. Many of these artists (e.g. BOC) re-recorded their assets to get at that particular revenue stream (since many times, the label owns the 'sound recording' but not necessarily the songs) and then use those version in commercials etc.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I already own those songs, but I might consider it if it were actually the band doing it. Love Jeff, but I'd rather hear something new, not a redux.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Love Jeff, but I'd rather hear something new, not a redux.
    Well, he did release a covers album at the same time and is supposed to release an album of original material in 2013.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, he did release a covers album at the same time
    I've heard it - its OK. While its not exactly the dreaded standards pablum that's getting milked to death these days, it is an oldies tribute, pre-Beatlemania. While its fun to hear Lynne sound uncannily like Roy Orbison on Running Scared I'd still rather he sounded like Jeff Lynne (or ELO would be even better). He at least avoids Your Favorite Hit Parade territory by avoiding lavish arrangements and keeping the production rather subdued (for a Lynne project anyway). Despite some of the covers being a tad too predictable (Smile, Beyond The Sea) he never gets sappy and keeps things rather basic and rocking through covers of showier tunes like Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered and Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, which surprisingly don't suck. Lynne's music had always been steeped in late fifties rock at its base level, so this approach is a pretty comfortable fit for him. Better than you'd think, but it didn't warrant repeat listens for me - YMMV.

and is supposed to release an album of original material in 2013.
    fingers crossed
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

a little off topic but speaking of standards and tribute pablum (i'm normally not a fan of these things, but...) the other day i was listening to Rave On Buddy Holly which is a tribute by various artist. generally these multi-artist things suffer from a very inconsistant roster of artist or some hot new performer who doen't give a rat's ass and is just there to help sell the album, this is not the case with Rave On. maybe i like it because i happen to dig all of the performers (Nick Lowe, Patti Smith, The Detroit Cobras to name a few). overall very heartfelt and Paul McCartney's version of It's So Easy is worth the price of admission (jesus, it sounded like it could've been an outtake from the white album)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, he did release a covers album at the same time and is supposed to release an album of original material in 2013.
    I'm not interested in all of these cover albums that artists are doing these days. But the new album of original music sounds sweet.

Rick

the only way i'd consider getting this is if the last track Point Of No Return was a remake of the Kansas song. but then it would have been 'know' and not 'no'. Jeff should stick to producing at this point in his career. as for ELO... It's Over, It's Over, It's OOOOOOOOver!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the only way i'd consider getting this is if the last track Point Of No Return was a remake of the Kansas song. but then it would have been 'know' and not 'no'. Jeff should stick to producing at this point in his career. as for ELO... It's Over, It's Over, It's OOOOOOOOver!"
    I would like ELO to record again, as long it's the band that was seen on the Zoom tour DVD.