Thread: Featured CD : Ani DiFranco : Up Up Up Up Up

Featured CD : Ani DiFranco : Up Up Up Up Up

Prog? Maybe a bit. I don't care. Play all of the tracks in the YouTube vid below and see what you think...

Per Amazon:
    Whereas on Little Plastic Castle Ani DiFranco questioned her public image in song, here the fiercely independent singer/songwriter turns away from stardom's beckoning questions to further explore her emotional balance. "Angry Anymore" is a back-porch country song (with banjo and accordion) about coming to terms with a turbulent adolescence. "Everest" floats by as a reverie of spiritual rejuvenation. Most effective is "'Tis of Thee," which deals with racial injustice. The politics are oversimplified, but the melody is one of DiFranco's strongest. She even funks it up on the extended drum-machine-driven jam "Hat Shaped Hat." But while DiFranco enjoys playing around ("Know Now Then" features a "space phone" vocal), she's strongest when most contemplative, as the title track bears out. Backed by organ, piano, and guitar, she espouses this grand truth: "Half of learning how to play / Is learning what not to play." In her quietest moments DiFranco is living proof of simplicity's great power.
    http://www.amazon.com/Up/dp/B00000G4NS

Regards,

Duncan

I wouldn't consider her prog based on what I know but she is very good. I saw her at a political event once and she was good. I think she is one of the few female singer songwriters I can see appealing to prog fans. She seems to have her own quirky style. I borrowed a cd by her from the library once but I don't remember the name of it. According to what I have read she sort of reached her peak in the late 90's early 2000's.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I love Ani DiFranco!!! But Prog she ain't. Oh well. Great album and she puts on one helluva show!!! Fantastic.
    The Prog Corner

I respect her. I've seen her live. But I'm no fan.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Undoubtedly a great album from huge discography of this ingenious female artist. Though, my favourite her album is the next one, To the Teeth.
    From Up the album, my favourite song is Jukebox, following by Come Away From It

Really amazing Art Rock.

Can't recall when I first heard Ani DeFranco, probably some time in the early 90s. I respected what she did (I recall it being a bit more frenetic back then), and it's been interesting to listen to this stuff. I like Jukebox in particular. She's a really great singer and I like her lyrics. Musically I'm not sure this would really hold my attention over long periods, but I have no problem listening to a few tracks, and I'd see her live.

Prog? Not in my book. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's good stuff, though not totally up my alley.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Can't recall when I first heard Ani DeFranco, probably some time in the early 90s. I respected what she did (I recall it being a bit more frenetic back then), and it's been interesting to listen to this stuff. I like Jukebox in particular. She's a really great singer and I like her lyrics. Musically I'm not sure this would really hold my attention over long periods, but I have no problem listening to a few tracks, and I'd see her live.

Prog? Not in my book. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's good stuff, though not totally up my alley.

Bill
    To be fair how many solo female artists really are prog? I can think of a few that come close such as Kate Bush, Joanna Newsom, Happy Rhodes, Laurie Anderson and maybe a few others. The only female solo artist who I heard who I would call prog based on what I heard is Emily Bezar.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The only female solo artist who I heard who I would call prog based on what I heard is Emily Bezar.
    They aren't prog in the sense you seem to be using (although how you can rule out Hounds of Love, Arial and Ys is beyond me, even in those limited terms) but IMO the avant women have a cutting edge feel most male artists are scared to go near. Diamanda Galas, Yoko Ono, Nico circa Marble Index are frighteningly progressive.

As for Ani - love her stuff.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    To be fair how many solo female artists really are prog? I can think of a few that come close such as Kate Bush, Joanna Newsom, Happy Rhodes, Laurie Anderson and maybe a few others. The only female solo artist who I heard who I would call prog based on what I heard is Emily Bezar.
    Not in prog, but there were / are great female artists in Art Rock, like Linda Ronstadt, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar, to name a few. Btw, Kate Bush was also regarded as Art Rock singer after release of her Lionheart the album and onwards. And Ani DiFranco is undoubtedely one of these greatest female Art Rock acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Not in prog, but there were / are great female artists in Art Rock, like Linda Ronstadt, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar, to name a few. Btw, Kate Bush was also regarded as Art Rock singer after release of her Lionheart the album and onwards. And Ani DiFranco is undoubtedely one of these greatest female Art Rock acts.
    Maybe add Charlotte Church and Esperanza Spaulding to that list.

Not prog perhaps, but Ani is unquestionably progressive. Oh, and that title is missing one Up.

I can't comment on this specific album, but I'll just say the stuff of hers I've heard has been distinctive, smart and always at least interesting.

By the way in case anyone is wondering, her name is pronounced as "ah knee" not a as in "ant."

Michelle Young was a bit of a flash in the pan, but her "Masked for Madness" was very good (if somewhat cloned of the Kate Bush sound).
    Regards,

Duncan

I played a few Ani DiFranco albums, even owned a couple, and my opinion was that the woman couldn't write a melody to save her life. Proverbial mileage may proverbially vary.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I played a few Ani DiFranco albums, even owned a couple, and my opinion was that the woman couldn't write a melody to save her life. Proverbial mileage may proverbially vary.
    Very subjective thing. Some musicians don't focus on obvious melodies. You could say there's no real obvious melodies on Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and yet it's still a great album. Passion, tension and individuality(uniqueness)go a long way and she seems to have those in spades. Then again it could also have to do with which albums you heard/owned. Pretty much every artist has some albums that are significantly better than others.

She pisses me off. When I'm looking through the cutout bins, she has sooooo many discs in there they get in the way!!