Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Once upon a time in a record shop...

My favourite is "A Man Of No Fortune, And With A Name To Come": just vocal and piano. Heartbreaking.

I remember distinctly. My favorite record shop in White Plains, NY. I was in med school. Went there after a series of tests to see & hear what was new. I heard "Carmina burana" for the first time. And it was Ray Manzarek's album! Bough it on the spot. Great investment.
    Thanks Ray.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Wim Mertens went into a record store, heard something new that he liked, and bought it?

My entire Mertens collection consists of the Belly of an Architect soundtrack.
    What else would be good?
    for me, his best is also his first, Vergessen.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm certain that it happened many times with doowop 45s at Times Sq. Records (a store that has achieved legendary status now), but I don't remember any specific tunes.

I do remember that at the Record Hunter store across the street from the NY Public Library concrete lions on 5th Avenue in 1971 hearing "Take Me To The Pilot" from Elton John's debut album for the first time and telling the clerk, "I'll take one of those".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I used to shop at a record store called "Treble Clef". In the 70s, one of their employees looked exactly like Steve Hackett. He was playing and talking about Peter Gabriel's debut, saying, "I like every note". I was actually aware of Gabriel from being a Genesis fan but I bought the album and agree that PG I was a note perfect album (except Excuse Me). I loved just browsing the rows and LPs.

Years ago on a trip from Fla. to NY I was hitting as many record shops as possible on the way. I think it was in Wash. DC I walked into a store and they were playing Patrick O'Hearn's new 'Ancient Dreams'. Wow. Absolutely HAD to buy it ! (Price sticker says Apple Records...)

Only time I've ever done that . And I've been buying/collecting these round black things since '70.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Wim Mertens went into a record store, heard something new that he liked, and bought it?

My entire Mertens collection consists of the Belly of an Architect soundtrack.
    What else would be good?
    No, I discovered Wim Mertens that way.
    Bought Maximising the audience and sometimes later I bought Man of no fortune and a name to come

On The Belly of an architect, there are things that can also be found on Vergessen and Struggle for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    This used to be a weekly event for me.

My friend and I used to shop at least once a week at a store in LA called "Moby disk" (I ended up working there later on) that specialized in prog and imports.
    hah! I've been trying to remember the name of this place for years. thanx! I saw their ad in a Circus magazine many moons ago and sent off for the mail order catalog. I sure looked forward to it's arrival but I never knew for sure when I would get one. it wasn't monthly if I remember correctly. wish I had saved a couple.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Well in days of yore,...well, yeah but sadly those days are over as pretty much all record stores are now gone!!
    Thankfully yours is still around!

As for the thread subject, this happened to me last year when I was in Freeson Rock in Montreal, and the guy was playing the Grand Tour album (CD), which I liked and bought on the spot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

One day while visiting Vintage Vinyl in Ocaen twp NJ, (early '90's) they had this most amazing Space Rock CD spinning. I immediately asked what was this???...The Clerk showed me the CD...Pungent Efflugent by Ozric Tentacles....never heard of them before.....I said, I'll take it...Cleck said they were out of stock on it but that they did have this...the "cereal" box set....bought it on the spot....been a fan since.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not that often to me. Once with The Shins, but they're not really a band I got that into, I just heard something that caught my ear. I knew a guy who discovered Marillion that way though.

Once had a funny convo with a guy in a London record shop - I was mostly into UK music and he was mostly into American music, which amused us.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'd almost forgotten how much fun it used to be to make the rounds of the NYC record shops. I didn't so much bother with used stuff, so as long as there was import and major label stuff you were interested in it was worthwhile.

Did you hear that Amazon is planning on opening some brick and mortar stores as showrooms? I'm not sure for what merchandise, but the idea is you'd still buy via Amazon.com. Maybe they could have music showrooms.

I have a used record shop in my town, Infinity Records in Massapequa Park, NY. When we first moved here I used to visit it monthly, but I go less now. Mostly because I have what I want to listen to, for the most part.

Now, once a year we take a trip to New Jersey and stop for hours at Princeton Record Exchange. THAT's a record store. I can spend 4 hours just paging through the $1 bins under the tables and come out with 50 records, and not get to the other half of what's there.

Ahhh, the smell of moldy album covers ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd almost forgotten how much fun it used to be to make the rounds of the NYC record shops. I didn't so much bother with used stuff, so as long as there was import and major label stuff you were interested in it was worthwhile.

Did you hear that Amazon is planning on opening some brick and mortar stores as showrooms?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Merchandise

I heard Kansas' "Song for America" shortly after its release when I happened to be in a record store in Kansas City. I had to buy that album immediately!

This thread just makes me miss record shops. In the early 80's I drove 250 miles a day in a delivery van all throughout Northern Virginia and I used to stop at a lot of shops.

Man, I miss that.

Don't remember this ever happening to me but I do remember once I was checking out some speakers and we were playing The Allman Brothers instrumental Pegasus on a turntable and at least 5 people came over asking what it was, they loved it. Most likely someone bought Enlighten Rogues that night. We had it playing quite loud in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Don't remember this ever happening to me but I do remember once I was checking out some speakers and we were playing The Allman Brothers instrumental Pegasus on a turntable and at least 5 people came over asking what it was, they loved it. Most likely someone bought Enlighten Rogues that night. We had it playing quite loud in the store.
    I know what you mean. I brought a Kenso-CD and DVD with me the times I bought speakers and a SACD-player (so in two occations) and the people loved it.