Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Top 5 Krautrock Albums?

Can "Soup"....cmon! Greatest groove ever. Jaki takes it to realms that are beyond superhuman. The fuckin best.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    BTW, as a Kraut may I say that the term Krautrock is fucking stupid. Thank you.
    I used Google to translate liner notes on a 'Kraut Jazz' CD I had. It translated 'Kraut Jazz' as 'Cabbage Jazz'
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Faust IV - Excellent, love it. This album could reach a potential wider audience, I mean within the prog world. Maybe. Anyway, what a great work of art.

ADII Yeti - Starting to dig this ever than before. The improvs are really amazing, and the entire composed suites are equally as great. Its a long listen, but its truly phenomenal.

Cluster II - Great for a once in a while spin. Glad I was buzzed up for this - it worked quite well

Popul Vuh In den Garten Pharaos - Yeah this is really starting to speak to me. This is a late night, dark, headphones experience that really works for me. Another true piece of art.

I was re-watching the movie "Norwegian Wood". There was a snippet of a song that I thought at first was being sung by Jim Morrison. After a lot of Google searches, I figured out that it was "Mary, Mary, So Contrary" by Can. What an absolutely amazing song. I need to pick up Monster Movie and some of the other Can albums mentioned in this thread.

Tanz der Lemminge is such a wild ride. I hear about 67 new ideas/details with each spin. There's a moment in "Syntelman's" at exactly 11:38 with this fantastic little riff played on the organ (R channel)/guitar (L channel) which always stands out. Its these little details scattered about on this album which make it unique. As much as I love God's Rod and Yeti, Tanz is climbing the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I was re-watching the movie "Norwegian Wood". There was a snippet of a song that I thought at first was being sung by Jim Morrison. After a lot of Google searches, I figured out that it was "Mary, Mary, So Contrary" by Can. What an absolutely amazing song. I need to pick up Monster Movie and some of the other Can albums mentioned in this thread.
    That's cool. The first five plus Soon Over Babaluma are all essential imo. Plus don't miss The Lost Tapes set...some GEMS there from the classic early daze with both Mooney and Suzuki. Unless you already know this

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    There's a moment in "Syntelman's" at exactly 11:38 with this fantastic little riff played on the organ (R channel)/guitar (L channel) which always stands out.
    great, great stuff

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have any of you read Julian Cope's book "Krautrocksampler?" (Sorry if I asked this upthread.) It's a great little book, despite what some others have said. It describes his introduction and explorations of Krautrock, and is also sort of a field guide to the bands, but very opinionated. It was partly my own guide through Krautrock as I blasted through my earnings at the store "Other Music" across the street from Tower Records on West Fourth Street - a VERY expensive and wonderful destination in my youth (plus all the other stores in the area - almost all, alas, gone now).

The only thing is, for some reason, though, I still have Neu, Faust, and Can left to explore. I wasn't pulled in by his descriptions of those as I was Amon Duul II, Ashra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Klaus, and several others. Although they were still a lot of fun to read about. I really recommend getting your hands on a copy if you can. I have a PDF copy around somewhere. I guess someone scanned the whole thing! PM me if interested. Anyone know if I can put it on PE somewhere? I feel like there's a section for files or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Tanz der Lemminge is such a wild ride. I hear about 67 new ideas/details with each spin. There's a moment in "Syntelman's" at exactly 11:38 with this fantastic little riff played on the organ (R channel)/guitar (L channel) which always stands out. Its these little details scattered about on this album which make it unique. As much as I love God's Rod and Yeti, Tanz is climbing the ladder.
    Now I have to pull this one out! Love it, but it's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

The only thing is, for some reason, though, I still have Neu, Faust, and Can left to explore.
    Neu’s Hallogallo is my favorite song of all Krautrock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Neu’s Hallogallo is my favorite song of all Krautrock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's definitely up there for me too - probably top 10 for sure. Moonshake is in there too. Remember: If it isn't Krautrock, it's Krap.

Here 'ya go Jed:

^^ Thanks, man! You know, I think I'm really more of a Kosmische kind of guy, this stuff doesn't do it for me.

There lot's of great krautrock music that still sounds fresh today, Hallo Gallo is def. one, as is Can's Bel Air! Along with one of my all-time favs: