Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD : ELP : Tarkus

Featured CD : ELP : Tarkus

In memory of Keith (this thread is to discuss the music, not his passing).

Per Allmusic:
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 1970 eponymous LP was only a rehearsal. It hit hard because of the novelty of the act (allegedly the first supergroup in rock history), but felt more like a collection of individual efforts and ideas than a collective work. All doubts were dissipated by the release of Tarkus in 1971. Side one of the original LP is occupied by the 21-minute title epic track, beating both Genesis' "Supper's Ready" and Yes' "Close to the Edge" by a year. Unlike the latter group's cut-and-paste technique to obtain long suites, "Tarkus" is a thoroughly written, focused piece of music. It remains among the Top Ten classic tracks in progressive rock history. Because of the strength of side one, the material on the album's second half has been quickly forgotten -- with one good reason: it doesn't match the strength of its counterpart -- but "Bitches Crystal" and "A Time and a Place" make two good prog rock tracks, the latter being particularly rocking. "Jeremy Bender" is the first in a series of honky tonk-spiced, Far-West-related songs. This one and the rock & roll closer "Are You Ready Eddy?" are the only two tracks worth throwing away. Otherwise Tarkus makes a very solid album, especially to the ears of prog rock fans -- no Greg Lake acoustic ballads, no lengthy jazz interludes. More accomplished than the trio's first album, but not quite as polished as Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus is nevertheless a must-have.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/tarkus-mw0000652026

Regards,

Duncan

IMO the title track is highly advanced prog for 1971. The only weak spots are the Lake parts. And I agree with Allmusic in their opinion of Bitches Crystal and A Time And A Place both being two underrated prog songs, with Tarkus shadowing over them. But again IMO the title track is certainly an iconic early epic prog track. No one sounded like this in 1971.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Greatest. Prog. Album. Ever.

Although I love "Trilogy" and BSS, I wish that they had continued to explore this style. Possibly combining it with "Toccata" to from an album length piece.

One side: The Greatest Prog Epic Evah! The other side: some tracks.

I've always liked "Time And A Place" and while I'm not that big on the rest, I think "Are You Ready Eddy?" is the only real throwaway.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Trilogy has always been my favorite ELP rekkid, but Tarkus is, perhaps, the greatest of their achievements. Similar with Yes, since I think that CTTE is their greatest achievement but I prefer Tales.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Side 2 could have been 18 minutes of static and this would still be a contender for one of the greatest prog albums of all time. The title suite is that good. What a breathtaking statement of original musical vision. Only "Close to the Edge" rivals (or surpasses) it IMO.

But since we're in Emo tribute mode these days, it's fitting to recognize that "Tarkus" is largely entirely his baby (we all know that at first Lake wanted nothing to do with it) whereas "CTTE" was more of a shared group effort.

My only fault with side 1 is the production which feels a bit sloppy and rushed. This is where side 2 actually excels, IMO, along with some excellent songs ("Bitches Crystal" FTW) that are unfortunately overshadowed by the title suite. The rough edges and flimsy editing throughout "Tarkus" are surprisingly glaring. Not one of Eddie Offord's finest hours, which is ironic since he has a whole song dedicated to him to close out the album.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

1971... WOW

what a great year this was for the early era of progressive Rock music. All the pioneer artists from the late 60s of all the (eventually to be separated) styles of Prog music were in full swing by 1971 be it Symphonic Rock, Afro Prog, Jazz Rock, Space Rock, Canterbury Prog, Zeuhl, etc.

just to name a few besides the mighty Tarkus:

Mahavishnu Orchestra The Inner Mounting Flame
    Mandrill Mandrill
    Byrd, Donald Ethiopian Knights
    Funkadelic Maggot Brain
    Osibisa Woyaya
    Caravan In the Land of Grey and Pink
    Coryell, Larry Barefoot Boy
    Davis, Miles A Tribute to Jack Johnson
    Focus Moving Waves (aka Focus II)
    Lindh, Björn J:son Från Storstad till Grodspad
    Mayfield, Curtis Roots
    Osibisa Osibisa
    Pink Floyd Meddle
    Santana Santana (aka III)
    Tower of Power East Bay Grease
    Allman Brothers Band, The At Fillmore East
    Ash Ra Tempel Ash Ra Tempel
    Carr, Ian / Nucleus Solar Plexus
    Coryell, Larry Fairyland
    Earth, Wind & Fire Earth, Wind and Fire
    Egg The Polite Force
    Nucleus We'll Talk About It Later
    Sly and the Family Stone There's a Riot Goin' On
    Soft Machine Fourth
    War War
    Can Tago Mago
    Flock Dinosaur Swamps
    Ekseption / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra 00.04
    Passport Doldinger
    Tonto's Expanding Headband Zero Time
    Embryo Embryo's Rache
    New Trolls Concerto Grosso per i New Trolls
    Magma 1001 Centigrades
    Hawkwind In Search of Space

ELP was a major music force of the progressive Rock music scene in 1971
    Keith was amazing!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

That percussive Hammond tone on Tarkus is awesome

I do like that title track.

A classic.

Not perfect, no genuine prog album is perfect. And it shouldn't be perfect - if you don't miss sometimes, you aren't trying hard enough to do something you haven't done before, and perhaps no one has done before. But, for all its imperfections, for all the bodged-together tendencies of both the band and its material, this is still magnificent. Emerson's over-the top virtuosity and ambitious composition, half Third Stream jazz and half junior Bartok, Lake's McCartneyesque voice and ballads, and Palmer's blindingly technical but sometimes choppy drumming didn't always gel into one purpose. But when they did, they were amazing, and on much of this album, they did.

As I said in one of the other threads, there is just something so aggressive about this album in a wonderfully progressive way. For the first 5 years of ELP's career, they wrote and played with a ferociousness and daring that they never again recaptured in full. Tarkus had the feel of a band that was striving for quality while still trying to knock people off their seats a bit. What an incredibly fun and compelling band they were at this time. I was always a fan, but nothing they ever did came anywhere near the debut to BSS period. Tarkus may not be the best album that they ever made, but it's very close to it.

I've always liked the light pop and lyrical twists of "Jeremy Bender" but of course it's the title suite that makes this album. When I first heard it (at about 15, in 1978) I had never heard keyboard sounds like the instrumental break in "Stones of Years" - I loved the patterns Keith made of the notes and I still think it's a model of tight but adventurous rock. Of all ELP's stuff, the Tarkus suite has aged the best IMO (closely followed by "Toccata" and "Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression").

I always liked the way Greg incorporated "Epitaph" in the "Battlefield" section - that moment on Welcome Back My Friends... still sends shivers up and down my spine.

In many ways I feel like I outgrew ELP - they were entertainers and I wanted artists. It's been years since I have listened to a whole album of theirs without cringing. But at their best, on side 1 of Tarkus and the two tracks I mentioned above, they were very special indeed.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

The title track is one of the best pieces they ever did. Side 2 is pretty much a waste of time, except maybe for "Time and A Place". This album pretty much sums up my opinion of ELP in general- hit and miss.

Banned
    Close to the Edge, Gates of Delirium and Tarkus are three greatest English symphonic rock side-long songs, imo.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-22-2016 at 02:37 AM.

The title track is one of their creative high-watermarks. The angularity of 'Eruption' in particular remains a stunning achievement (as an aside, you can hear Emerson slip the riff into that Lyceum show caught on video in 1970, I think it's during the piano solo of 'Take A Pebble'). However, I think the whole thing has an ebb and flow, with themes being repeated throughout.

The production is indeed a little problematic...it's particularly notable on 'Stones Of Years' where there's overloading of the bass, creating some distortion. Some of the playing here and there is a bit rough, notably on 'Battlefield'. 'Aquatarkus' especially was improved upon live, witness the Welcome Back... live version from a few years later. But these minor gripes aside, I love it. I think Emerson provides a masterclass in terms of organ tones throughout the track, as well.

As for the second side, well, as noted on another thread, it's 'Are You Ready Eddy' which literally lets the side down- a total throwaway. I don't care for 'Jeremy Bender' that much either but it does provide light relief after the title suite, and reveals a little more compositional effort. But the other tracks are underrated and, I always thought, quite strong.

Trilogy has always been my fav ELP album.. With that said Tarkus is right up there with BSS Pictures and their first release.. They had an an amazing run with the first 5 albums.. Side note anyone else remember that interview bit with Palmer where he said he came up with the first bit of Tarkus when Keith walk in on him.. As I recall his quote went something like.. "I never did get any credit for that did I?"

I can do without a couple of the extended organ solos and the opener/closer on side 2, other than that I like it very much.

I'll always prefer the debut and Brain to this one, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great work..the work of perfectionists, as they were...Title track is really a suite, greatly written and performed. Side 2 is of the same top quality, by the only exception of Are You Ready, Eddy. I love 'am or cheese offering, though. The live version of '74 has some improvements, that's organ bass pedals on Battlefield, and Aquatarkus jam. Oh and Epitaph reminiscence, of course.

Are You Ready Eddy is crap but otherwise this is brilliant stuff.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

This was the one that pulled me into ELP land. Such a heavy and awesome opening to an album. Very few first impressions are as good as this one - for me.

I think they should've slapped a disclaimer on the jacket: "Not to be confused with Brewer &
    Shipley's 'Tarkio'."
    Still, gotta love side one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    That percussive Hammond tone on Tarkus is awesome
    This! And Stones Of Years melody is sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    n many ways I feel like I outgrew ELP - they were entertainers and I wanted artists. It's been years since I have listened to a whole album of theirs without cringing. But at their best, on side 1 of Tarkus and the two tracks I mentioned above, they were very special indeed.
    They were both. But the "entertainment" aspects of their output - Emerson's over-the-top stage persona, and the throwaway tracks of pure cheese - tended to overshadow the real artistry of their best material.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 03-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Great album and I love Side Two as well. "Jeremy Bender" is terrific.

I can't decide which I like best: Tarkus, Trilogy or BSS. All three are brilliant and get regular play at my crib.
    The Prog Corner

Tarkus was my favorite for a while, now it's more of a toss up with BSS and the first album. The title suite is, of course, awesome and one of their finest works. Side 2, I think, gets overlooked and I always felt it was the equal of side 1...except for Are You Ready Eddie, as everyone has pointed out. For a long time I liked Bitches Crystal more than the title suite. I liked the idea, from another thread, of just having A Time And A Place be the final track. I think side 2 would have gotten a lot more respect and reverence if they had done that. This album is just about perfect IMO, with only BSS perhaps surpassing it (mostly because of Tocatta and Karn Evil 9).