Thread: My Keith Emerson tribute - Trilogy / Goodbye

My Keith Emerson tribute - Trilogy / Goodbye

I spent a few hours one evening a few days after Keith Emerson's death, preparing and playing a sort of ambient fantasy/meditation over several Keith/ELP themes, including Trilogy (which bookends the track), The Only Way (Hymn) and a few others. It's strange, I've been an ELP and KE fan for so long, but this past week is the first time I've really listened to any ELP properly for many, many years. It really connects with something deep inside, this is a large part of the soundtrack to my late teens. But not only nostalgia and sadness here, there are really so much deeply _musical_ and beautiful stuff that KE was involved in, in addition to all the "other" stuff we associate with him, like all his showmanship and innovation. Terribly, terribly sad to see him go, especially in the way he did. I like to think he's playing along with both hands, with no nerve troubles in his right hand, wherever he might be.

Anyway, I was hoping this board might appreciate this tribute to one of my great heroes. Thanks for all the music, Keith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBoZz27qMNA

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquence View Post
    I spent a few hours one evening a few days after Keith Emerson's death, preparing and playing a sort of ambient fantasy/meditation over several Keith/ELP themes, including Trilogy (which bookends the track), The Only Way (Hymn) and a few others. It's strange, I've been an ELP and KE fan for so long, but this past week is the first time I've really listened to any ELP properly for many, many years. It really connects with something deep inside, this is a large part of the soundtrack to my late teens. But not only nostalgia and sadness here, there are really so much deeply _musical_ and beautiful stuff that KE was involved in, in addition to all the "other" stuff we associate with him, like all his showmanship and innovation. Terribly, terribly sad to see him go, especially in the way he did. I like to think he's playing along with both hands, with no nerve troubles in his right hand, wherever he might be.

Anyway, I was hoping this board might appreciate this tribute to one of my great heroes. Thanks for all the music, Keith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBoZz27qMNA
    Lovely...............great job.
    Thank you for posting.

Very nice indeed!!!

That was beautiful- great touch with vocal bits at the end. I was sitting here working on a drawing while listening to it and suddenly there was a bit of cheering and then some fast piano runs and I thought wow, he's REALLY channeling Keith here! Turns out that "Piano Improvisations" from WBMFTTSTNE starting playing in another tab on my browser (I had been listening to the album when I was last working on Friday). Even without the piano improvisations it was very well done. Thank you for sharing it.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Very sweet. I got a kick out of seeing the Honky CD on your keyboard.

Nice, it's always good to see someone add something new when it's tasteful.

Thanks for the nice words everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Very sweet. I got a kick out of seeing the Honky CD on your keyboard.
    Yes, that was deliberate of course, but cool of you to notice - you're the first to mention it! I actually had a stack of KE solo CDs - Changing States, the Christmas Album, etc. - but it ended up just out of sight of the camera...

Really enjoyed that man - beautiful job. Cheers

Excellent, very moving .

Thx
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Wonderful job! Haunting, tastefully done, sublime...

Nice. Thanks for that.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thanks again for all the nice comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nice work. Is that a Nord G2 keyboard?
    Close! it is a Clavia, but not a G2 - it's a Nord Lead II. Really happy with it, although it mostly sounds pretty thin to my ears without any extra FX.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquence View Post
    Thanks again for all the nice comments guys!

Close! it is a Clavia, but not a G2 - it's a Nord Lead II. Really happy with it, although it mostly sounds pretty thin to my ears without any extra FX.
    I have a G2 Engine, which I really love. I hope they keep the drivers up to date with new Windows versions.