Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: If the album "Love Beach" were called "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman"….

Great points about Blake, grego.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...y-track-594681

Keith Emerson:

“We wanted the opening to be startling, and this number certainly does take you by surprise. What was surprising to me was when the song gave the media the idea that we’d become born-again Christians. I’ve got no objection to born-again Christians, but that certainly wasn’t the case, nor was it the intention behind the song.

“To me, the lyrics are a little bit like Procol Harum’s A Whiter Shade Of Pale. I didn’t really connect any kind of religious element to it at all. I just thought it was a damn good song. Every kid at school knew the Jerusalem – it’s so majestic.

“I remember, back in the ‘60s, I worked on an arrangement of it with The Nice. It didn’t come across somehow, but with ELP it came together quite nicely. I think we knew how to embrace the sense of drama in the music and organize it properly, and I think that Greg felt comfortably singing it, which helped, as you can imagine.

“I used the Moog Apollo on it. This was when the Moog company decided to go polyphonic. I would help Bob Moog out on his different inventions. The Apollo sounded incredible. It wasn’t an easy song for Carl to lay down the drums on. It was a little bit like when he had to put on the drum parts for Lucky Man, from the first album. Greg had already recorded his guitar work, and of course, there was no click track to work from. These are the challenges with recording.”

So, according to Emerson, it was his idea and it predated ELP, so Lake and Sinfield weren't involved.

Thanks for sharing, A. Scherze. So Jerusalem was just a 'picture' for the new exibition, so to say. No more than that, q.e.d.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Thanks for sharing, A. Scherze. So Jerusalem was just a 'picture' for the new exibition, so to say. No more than that, q.e.d.
    Yes indeed. Thanks A. Scherze, it was all pretty much within my expectations, really.

EDIT: yeah , as said here, it was so cool to hear those Keith thoughts.
    Last edited by HarmonyMan; 03-24-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Awesome quotes from Keith. Thank you!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm glad so many enjoy "Jerusalam." Personally I dislike those opening two tracks on Brain Salad Surgery. In fact the only thing I like on that album is "Karn Evil 9." I skip everything else. Give me Trilogy over it any day. I don't like Greg Lake's singing voice, and when it gets all echo-ey and it sounds like his voice is coming from down the hall, it just grates on me.

I suppose I'm just fortunately that aside from In The Hot Seat, I like most of it.

In The Hot Seat sounds like their most 'commercial' album. Things like Give Me a Reason To Stay. or Gone Too Soon, are not what anyone could expect from ELP, except of course the producer. Why they hired the producer, seems a mystery to me.

There's no doubt that this and In The Hot Seat are the runt of the litter. With ITHS, the margin is similar to Love Beach- a few decent songs amidst some really bland material. I'd salvage 'Hand Of Truth', 'Man In A Long Black Coat' and 'One By One'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There's no doubt that this and In The Hot Seat are the runt of the litter. With ITHS, the margin is similar to Love Beach- a few decent songs amidst some really bland material. I'd salvage 'Hand Of Truth', 'Man In A Long Black Coat' and 'One By One'.
    Street War is ok too I think.

how about maybe, keeping that ugly disco-ish artwork , but renaming the album Taste Of My Love (the track after LB)??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thinking of it under this title has made it somewhat better, even listenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Street War is ok too I think.
    I think you're right, that's about the best of the rest. If memory serves it's one of the songs from the Lake/Downes 'Ride That Tiger' collaboration.

I think you're right, that's about the best of the rest. If memory serves it's one of the songs from the Lake/Downes 'Ride That Tiger' collaboration.
    It is; original now available on their Ride the Tiger release.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I completely agree, these 3 tracks are the best there.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    It is awful, I think Memoirs is even worse than the first side, especially the bit about central heating!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8283796.stm

NO REUSE Radiator (Jupiter photo)

By Tom Geoghegan
    BBC News Magazine

In 1970, Martyn Jarvis, 55, was a gas fitter, installing central heating systems in the Slough area.

"Central heating was just taking off then and there was a sense of excitement. It was like getting the first colour television - 'Ooooh, I've got central heating!'

"Unless you were really well off, you didn't have any radiators. There was an awful lot of solid fuel around then, an open fire in the living room normally, which heated the water as well.

"Other houses just had a three-bar electric fire, so you needed plenty of blankets at night. I remember the 1963 winter was particularly horrendous."

By the end of that decade, and into the early 1980s, having central heating was regarded as a basic requirement, he says.

There were obvious health benefits - warmer homes helped to address winter mortality rates - but the impact was wider than that.

The design of a home changed because its inhabitants started behaving differently, says architect Harry Charrington. Today the average temperature in a home is 22C, compared with 18C in the 1950s, he says, yet people 50 years ago felt just as warm as we do today.

"People don't wear clothing to keep warm any more. One of the social norms is that people can go around in shirt sleeves at home or in the office. So central heating has changed the way people think about clothing.

"Rather than put extra clothes on, they put the heating on. It used to be that if it got cold, you put a jersey on and if it got warm you opened a window. People don't have an expectation that they will have to change the way they behave in cold weather."

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8283796.stm

NO REUSE Radiator (Jupiter photo)

By Tom Geoghegan
    BBC News Magazine

In 1970, Martyn Jarvis, 55, was a gas fitter, installing central heating systems in the Slough area.

"Central heating was just taking off then and there was a sense of excitement. It was like getting the first colour television - 'Ooooh, I've got central heating!'

"Unless you were really well off, you didn't have any radiators. There was an awful lot of solid fuel around then, an open fire in the living room normally, which heated the water as well.

"Other houses just had a three-bar electric fire, so you needed plenty of blankets at night. I remember the 1963 winter was particularly horrendous."

By the end of that decade, and into the early 1980s, having central heating was regarded as a basic requirement, he says.

There were obvious health benefits - warmer homes helped to address winter mortality rates - but the impact was wider than that.

The design of a home changed because its inhabitants started behaving differently, says architect Harry Charrington. Today the average temperature in a home is 22C, compared with 18C in the 1950s, he says, yet people 50 years ago felt just as warm as we do today.

"People don't wear clothing to keep warm any more. One of the social norms is that people can go around in shirt sleeves at home or in the office. So central heating has changed the way people think about clothing.

"Rather than put extra clothes on, they put the heating on. It used to be that if it got cold, you put a jersey on and if it got warm you opened a window. People don't have an expectation that they will have to change the way they behave in cold weather."
    I'm an American ex pat that's living in the UK in order to do some archival work (transferring tape to digital) that I had been putting off for a long time due to some personal business. And, yes, many are amazed that my heat is on in September. Even from those that can afford it! Silly gits!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    In The Hot Seat sounds like their most 'commercial' album. Things like Give Me a Reason To Stay. or Gone Too Soon, are not what anyone could expect from ELP, except of course the producer. Why they hired the producer, seems a mystery to me.
    I agree. A great deal of that album is toothless. Makes one wonder what the record company would have thought if it was done in 1979.

^I played In The Hot Seat again a few days ago...yeah. All those similar sounding Lake ballads really let it down, and then there's the backing vocals on one song. I could have done without them on the earlier 'Paper Blood' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I'm an American ex pat that's living in the UK in order to do some archival work (transferring tape to digital) that I had been putting off for a long time due to some personal business. And, yes, many are amazed that my heat is on in September. Even from those that can afford it! Silly gits!
    Your hit is on right now dude, but just for those that can afford it! Silly gits!