Thread: HD Vinyl sounds vellee een-tuh-ras-teng...

HD Vinyl sounds vellee een-tuh-ras-teng...

The irony is using digital technology to master and cut!

http://www.avsforum.com/hd-vinyl-mas...i-res-results/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Christ, is it even warmer than regular vinyl?

The level of detail present in the groove is much higher than on current vinyl pressings.
    Will standard playback equipment be capable of pulling out this detail, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Will standard playback equipment be capable of pulling out this detail, I wonder?
    Yes, backward compatible. Not sure to what extent the extra quality will be extracted by hipster 49.95 suitcase units.
    BTW, this is still in development stage. It might never see the light of day if it doesn't actually work or does not receive sufficient backing.

But.... Whatever happened to Quiex?
    Still alive and well...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm waiting for HD wax cylinders.

If we spin them backwards, will we still hear subliminal messages?

But will the 'enhanced quality' last through multiple plays?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The irony is using digital technology to master and cut!
    What makes you find this ironic?

As opposed to analog mastering and cutting.
    What makes you find this ironic?

Why would it be mastered analog? Incidentally, even though a laser is (purportedly) used in cutting it's still ANALOG cutting.

Of course it will only be as good as the source music. i've heard from a reputable source that many of today's new vinyl releases are cut from MP3 files. So, just like high res, you need to know the source before you (a) buy and (b) start in with how much better vinyl sounds than CD, since some of that vinyl may well be coming from compressed MP3 sources.

Sick to hear, but with a source as reliable as the one who provided me with the info (I won't divulge his name as I don't believe he wants it known), I'm sorry to say I believe it....

Oh, I believe it, there's no doubt it's true for some releases. Because the vinyl market is (largely) not aimed at the audiophile market it only makes sense.

Bear in mind 70% of consumers prefer the sound of 320khz MP3s over hi-res.

Oh, I believe it, there's no doubt it's true for some releases. Because the vinyl market is (largely) not aimed at the audiophile market it only makes sense.
    It sucks that there is no industry standard as to what the source is for new vinyl and reissues.

Bear in mind 70% of consumers prefer the sound of 320khz MP3s over hi-res.
    Also bear in mind, that the results you are referring to are based on 3 samples (only 1 of which was a decent sounding recording), for a short time (comparing 3 songs is only enough time and enough variety to get an initial impression*), on very low quality equipment (40.4% of the participants listened on equipment less than $500).

*Since the 320khz sample is so compressed, it would sound louder than the uncompressed version, even if peak SPL were set the same. It is well known that, on initial, short term listening, the louder sounding sample sounds better to most people.

All this test that you are referring to proves, is that there is a reason why the loudness wars exist.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Yup, you're absolutely right. That's why I included the smiley