Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Future Kings Of England News?

Any Future Kings Of England News?

Been a while since we heard anything new on their front. Their website looks like it hasn't been updated in years. Their drummer used to post here (under the moniker Miles iirc) but I haven't seen him in a while. Last I recall they were suppose to veer into a new direction; a little more in a trippy psych vibe... Anybody have any updates? They're one of my favorite bands from the past decade. Would love to hear more material...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

While we wait....and for those not familiar with the band:

I'd LOVE to hear of a new album from these guys.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wasn't overly crazy about the last one, admittedly; but the first 3 were excellent!

From album #2:

I think it was a departure they needed but it wasn't their strongest album by any means.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I thought their last one was excellent, but then again I was already intimately familiar with the M.R. James narrative on which they based the music there.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love them all, but no I haven't heard anything either. They posted on their FB page in February so it might just be real life getting in the way.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I thought their last one was excellent, but then again I was already intimately familiar with the M.R. James narrative on which they based the music there.
    I was familiar with the short story as well. From that point of view it was well done. The music just had a little too much of a cinematic feel to it for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I was familiar with the short story as well. From that point of view it was well done. The music just had a little too much of a cinematic feel to it for my liking.
    I seem to remember them stating how they are influenced by certain post-rock groups, and I would agree that this is quite prominent on Who Is This Who Is Coming? - which I thought served them rather well.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'll dust it off and give it another spin. I'm just more a fan of The Viewing Point and The Fate Of Old Mother Orvis; both of which moved along at a brisker pace.

The Fate Of Old Mother Orvis is still my favorite by them.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have all their albums and love just about everything they've created

hope they continue making great music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Somehow I don't think I ever heard the last one, I hugely enjoyed the first two, they seem a long time ago now.

They come from close to my home, and whilst I don't recall them touring, there used to be the odd local gig I recall (I never actually managed to see them though), but there hasn't been any comment on them that I have seen in an age.

I'll have to search out the last release, it sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Somehow I don't think I ever heard the last one, I hugely enjoyed the first two, they seem a long time ago now.

They come from close to my home, and whilst I don't recall them touring, there used to be the odd local gig I recall (I never actually managed to see them though), but there hasn't been any comment on them that I have seen in an age.

I'll have to search out the last release, it sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm of the opinion that The Viewing Point was their high water mark so I strongly recommend you check it out.

OK, it's been about seven/eight years since the last album. Who do these guys think they are, Anglagard?

Facebook post from the band today

Thanks for the continued interest in our band, The Future Kings of England. It warms the cockles of our collective hearts to think people still enjoy the music over the four albums we made. Our little experiments in sound were great fun, but by the end, the fun was starting to wane a little, and we started to believe we were beginning to repeat ourselves a bit. So we decided to rest it, possibly forever.
    Having said that, we are proud of what we done. We can still listen to the albums and enjoy them for what they are. We hope you enjoy them too. If only we could recover the wav files to remix The Fate of Old Mother Orvis.....
    Ian

Well that certainly crushes my hopes and dreams. I've only got the last one on CD, the rest are lossy MP3s and I have had them for so long I don't even know where they came from. I checked Burning Shed and they had Viewing Point and The Future Kings of England back in stock, so I ordered them. Mother Orvis appears unobtainable in a lossless format.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well that certainly crushes my hopes and dreams. I've only got the last one on CD, the rest are lossy MP3s and I have had them for so long I don't even know where they came from. I checked Burning Shed and they had Viewing Point and The Future Kings of England back in stock, so I ordered them. Mother Orvis appears unobtainable in a lossless format.
    A little pricey, but doesn't break the bank:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1033261?ev=rb

The band officially stated that they are done… (see their Facebook page)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Facebook post from the band today
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The band officially stated that they are done… (see their Facebook page)
    Er....
    Ian

Er....
    B... B-but Neal Wilson is still active!

Er....
    Sorry was to lazy to read all Posts..

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    B... B-but Neal Wilson is still active!
    And thank goodness for that! I'm hoping his next album is like a cross between Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Filth Pig -- with some David Guetta sprinkled in.

Oh yeah, and Abba.

Aw well, too bad... Still , 4 albums is more than many of my favorites have given me... Thanks for the update. I'd forgotten I'd started this thread, but then again, I rarely visit this place anymore...

This was just posted on the FKoE Facebook account under the heading "The same but very different."

future kings.jpg