Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath: 13

Banned

Black Sabbath: 13

I just read on Ultimateclassicrock.com that Black Sabbath's upcoming studio album with be called 13, and it's scheduled the be released on an unspecified date in June; the disc will be produced by Rick Rubin The article indicates that Brad Wilk from Rage Against The Machine will be the group's drummer for the recording, but the article is unsure if he(or Tommy from Ozzy's band) will be the tour drummer. I know there are people that are pissed at Sabbath for having a falling out with Bill, but I would rather have the majority of Sabbath than none at all. What say you PEers?

I'm really up for this! They said they wouldn't do anything new unless it could stand aside their classic work.

Banned
    When I saw the announcement on Facebook, I looked up Brad Wilk's bio on Wikipedia, and it said that one of his influences is Elvin Jones. Isn't he a jazz drummer? If so, I wonder if Brad will bring the "swing" that Bill bought to Sabbath's music. I prefer to look at the glass as half full.

I hope Brad is drumming. He is more fit for The Classic Sabbath style. Sabbath needs to swing. Tommy is as stiff as it gets. I would love to have Bill instead, but it just isn't going to happen, and who knows if he could hang any more. The last time I saw him live with Sabbath he was barely holding it together. Of course at least he did hold it together. Ozzy sounded like shit, and I expect him to sound no better this run around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I hope Brad is drumming. He is more fit for The Classic Sabbath style. Sabbath needs to swing. Tommy is as stiff as it gets. I would love to have Bill instead, but it just isn't going to happen, and who knows if he could hang any more. The last time I saw him live with Sabbath he was barely holding it together. Of course at least he did hold it together. Ozzy sounded like shit, and I expect him to sound no better this run around.
    Did you not read the opening post? Brad will be on the record. Btw, we need more people like you on Facebook. A lot of people are still complaining that Bill got screwed. As for your comment on Ozzy's voice:a lot of people(some on PE) said that Ozzy sounded good on his last solo cd. Here's hoping that Rick can do for Sabbath what he did for The Man In Black.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I just read on Ultimateclassicrock.com that Black Sabbath's upcoming studio album with be called 13, and it's scheduled the be released on an unspecified date in June; the disc will be produced by Rick Rubin The article indicates that Brad Wilk from Rage Against The Machine will be the group's drummer for the recording, but the article is unsure if he(or Tommy from Ozzy's band) will be the tour drummer. I know there are people that are pissed at Sabbath for having a falling out with Bill, but I would rather have the majority of Sabbath than none at all. What say you PEers?
    That's an interesting development. Brad is a great drummer, IMO. He'll fit in just fine.

Did you not read the opening post? Brad will be on the record. Btw, we need more people like you on Facebook. A lot of people are still complaining that Bill got screwed. As for your comment on Ozzy's voice:a lot of people(some on PE) said that Ozzy sounded good on his last solo cd. Here's hoping that Rick can do for Sabbath what he did for The Man In Black.
    I have not seen him live recently, but I think Ozzy's most recent album "Scream" is really good and his voice is in fine form. Whether or not he can pull it off live may be another story, but the album great.

Steve Sly

When I saw the announcement on Facebook, I looked up Brad Wilk's bio on Wikipedia, and it said that one of his influences is Elvin Jones. Isn't he a jazz drummer? If so, I wonder if Brad will bring the "swing" that Bill bought to Sabbath's music. I prefer to look at the glass as half full.
    Bill Ward was strongly influenced by jazz drummers... especially in the early days...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Bill Ward was strongly influenced by jazz drummers... especially in the early days...
    That's the point I was trying to make.

What say you PEers?
    I can see it going either way. No reason to speculate, though.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Although I'm disappointed that Bill Ward is not involved, I'm really looking forward to a new Sabbath album.

I would have preferred a new Heaven & Hell album, even though I know that's impossible (R.I.P. Ronnie). There's nothing left to Ozzy's voice.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Take me to the station
    And put me on a train
    I've got no expectations
    To pass through here again.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I would have preferred a new Heaven & Hell album, even though I know that's impossible (R.I.P. Ronnie). There's nothing left to Ozzy's voice.
    People that have heard Ozzy's last solo album(Scream) would disagree with you.

Yes I read it, but I left out what I meant to say, because they did not mention if he was touring with him.

Elvin was, indeed, a jazz drummer....with the classic John Coltrane quartet of the 1960s, in addition to a series of fine recordings of his own, many on Blue Note including the tremendous Live at the Lighthouse with another personal fave, saxophonist Dave Liebman.

And yes, he could swing like a mo'fo'.....

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Take me to the station
    And put me on a train
    I've got no expectations
    To pass through here again.
    Is this your way of showing scepticism?

I'll need to hear some camples before I decide if I'll get any mileage out this; so I may be joining you on that train.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Their next affair would be rerecording rhythm section of the first 8 albums, to blew away Ward as if he wasn't a member. I'm sure they discussed this.

Anyway, no expectations, as been cited. They are too old. They should have done a new album about 15 years ago, when they reunited, and even recorded 2 new songs.

Banned
    Wow, Gregory!! Could you be anymore of a douche?
    Last edited by JIF; 01-17-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: someone edited my post

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I hope Brad is drumming. He is more fit for The Classic Sabbath style. Sabbath needs to swing. Tommy is as stiff as it gets.
    i'm kinda out of the loop with Ozzie's touring band, what happened to Mike Bordin?

Wow, Gregory!! Could you be anymore of a groovy kinda dude?
    Of course, I would listen, when it comes out. But indeed, what to expect? They're a bunch of pensioners. Time to sit in the dooryard with a cup of tea and smell the roses!)
    And lately I tried some of Iommi solo stuff, and everything there was predictible like alphabet, hadn't found nothing inspirational.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Of course, I would listen, when it comes out. But indeed, what to expect? They're a bunch of pensioners. Time to sit in the dooryard with a cup of tea and smell the roses!)
    And lately I tried some of Iommi solo stuff, and everything there was predictible like alphabet, hadn't found nothing inspirational.
    I have The Devil You Know by Heaven And Hell, and I used to have Ozzy's Scream. Didn't listen to Scream much before I sold it, but people on here have said that Ozzy sounds great on it. Tony and Geezer played great on The Devil You Know.

I have The Devil You Know by Heaven And Hell, and I used to have Ozzy's Scream. Didn't listen to Scream much before I sold it, but people on here have said that Ozzy sounds great on it. Tony and Geezer played great on The Devil You Know.

Ugh...I heard half of Scream and that was enough for me, even with some good guitar work from Gus G. His last few solo albums have been completely uninsteresting for me. Though in the studio he can be made to sound passable, I'm not holding out hopes for the live shows. There's a reason Ozzy's last few tours here in the US bombed-the guy just can't cut it live anymore. I love him, but it's the sad truth. That said, I'm still very interested to see what these guys come up with on 13.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Ugh...I heard half of Scream and that was enough for me, even with some good guitar work from Gus G. His last few solo albums have been completely uninsteresting for me. Though in the studio he can be made to sound passable, I'm not holding out hopes for the live shows. There's a reason Ozzy's last few tours here in the US bombed-the guy just can't cut it live anymore. I love him, but it's the sad truth. That said, I'm still very interested to see what these guys come up with on 13.
    Pete, that's pretty much how I feel. I grew up on Black Sabbath so I'm really hoping for the best. But Ozzy's solo career hasn't done much for me in a very long time. "The Devil You Know" on the other hand is actually very good, IMO!