Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD : Surprise : Assault On Merryland

Featured CD : Surprise : Assault On Merryland

Requested by a PE member, who has re-issued this 1977 album on CD.

Per ProgArchives:
    For many years this album was on my wish list but I was unable to track it down and now thanks to a great new technology we can all finally enjoy this masterpiece from the 70's , completely restored to CD from the kiln and a process of re-baking the oxide to the original mastertape. "Assault On Merryland" is a concept album based around a fantasy land called Merryland and a tale of a prince, princess and king who manage to reverse a spell which left Merryland in total darkness. Musically this is a 4 piece ensemble comprised of Rick Bess (guitars, bass), Blair Blake (Organ, piano, moog, Taurus pedals, celeste), Dave Kelly (drums), Mark Biehl (Vocals, Flute, trumpet). Musically these guys are tight and play with great lustre and technical skill. Songs area all very well written and offer great themes and varied tempos and moods. Overall this album is quite symphonic and perhaps best way to describe the music of SURPRISE would be a mix of FIREBALLET, KING CRIMSON and classic CAMEL. Overall a wonderful album and a definite need for your collection.
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5868

Regards,

Duncan

I wouldn’t even bother with this one unless you’ve absolutely exhausted all your other obscure US prog options. Not really worth a second glance.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I wouldn’t even bother with this one unless you’ve absolutely exhausted all your other obscure US prog options. Not really worth a second glance.
    Sadly, I agree. I was psyched when I tracked this CD down at a cheap price. Hung onto it for years, spinning it and thinking, "it can't be this bad." Finally decided, "yes, it is this bad." Wound up ditching it for basically what I bought it for. Good riddance. YMMV.

Bill

It's not as bad as the above 2 posts would have you believe. Still...It's a concept album with one of the stupidest fantasy storylines I've yet seen, sounding like something on the back of a kid's cereal box. Musically, it's OK but uneven, with a bit too much of that slick, AOR thing going on. I keep the album, as I have tons of USA Prog artists' output, but this thing is an anti-Prog cliche whipping boy target if there ever was one.

It does have some good material on it, however.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like it, though I bought the reissue new so didn't pay a lot. I guess I should spin it again as it's been a long time. I never really paid attention to the concept.

There were a few good moments on this disc, but overall it was quite iffy IMO. Definitely one for the completists.

I actually kinda liked this one when I first got into US 70s 'prog' obscurities. Today I'll have to admit that it's possibly one of the least rewarding listens from that grand bulk. Been many years since I last heard it, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sadly, I agree. I was psyched when I tracked this CD down at a cheap price. Hung onto it for years, spinning it and thinking, "it can't be this bad." Finally decided, "yes, it is this bad." Wound up ditching it for basically what I bought it for. Good riddance. YMMV.

Bill
    I had the LP back in the 80s and tried to like it several times as well... it's got about 3 minutes of interesting material on it

Americans never were very good at Symph Rock. Stick to Jazz Rock for the best progressive Rock music from the USA
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-19-2016 at 04:37 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Got this one as a promo when it was re-released and thought it was a fine album with an original sound.
    Have to admit I haven't played it a lot since then.
    Haven't payed too much attention to the lyrics, which I guess is often easier when English isn't your first language.

Third league. They sound like a high school band cutting their teeth on prog. Sold it ages ago...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually kinda liked this one when I first got into US 70s 'prog' obscurities. Today I'll have to admit that it's possibly one of the least rewarding listens from that grand bulk. Been many years since I last heard it, though.
    Yes, the same here!

Hopefully soon someone will make Ameriprog great again.

Banned
    I like it. Excellent stuff which sounds, due to some heavier riffs, pretty like a modern symphonic rock.
    An excellent artwork too.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-19-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Someone taped this for me a long time ago. To me it was sort of a cross between Styx and maybe Starcastle or something. Kind of a hard one to pin down. It wasn't bad but nothing on it really stood out either. For American prog I would probably prefer the aforementioned or Happy the Man or even other more obscure titles such as albums by Cathedral, Lift or Easter Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Someone taped this for me a long time ago. To me it was sort of a cross between Styx and maybe Starcastle or something. Kind of a hard one to pin down. It wasn't bad but nothing on it really stood out either. For American prog I would probably prefer the aforementioned or Happy the Man or even other more obscure titles such as albums by Cathedral, Lift or Easter Island.
    It's true that sometimes a large part of the appeal of these 70s Ameriprog releases is that they ever existed in the first place.

BTW, it's important to refer to it as Ameriprog.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hopefully soon someone will make Ameriprog great again.
    Didn't already Crucible, Mars Hollow, Moth Vellum, The Source and Dix Beard etc. attempt that? I remember a 90s band called Kalaban who did this by the book. Their singer was apparently/audibly in emotional pain from first to last word there, and I always feel like making out with a slightly obese'n'freckly girl in the front seat of a Vauxhall at a drive-in when thinking of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's true that sometimes a large part of the appeal of these 70s Ameriprog releases is that they ever existed in the first place.

Maybe it's important to you. I'll call it US prog or whatever I want. Thank you very much. Oh and I don't refer to Italian prog as RPI either.

you're joking of course
    Americans were notoriously terrible at the Symph Rock style of Prog. We were the best at the Jazz Rock style though. That is where American progressive Rock music was truly great.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Full disclosure: my best friend is the guy who put this out so I am probably a bit biased I find this to be an essential addition to any Ameriprog collection (snort) It has a charming and naive aspect that that wonderfully captures its milieu (Ooo watch out!) and some of it can "surprise" you if you let it. I havent played it in a while either, but will definitely whip it out for the 45 min drive to work this week. Plus, its cool to know someone who took it upon themselves to rescue this from obscurity and its ever reaching dark hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    I find this to be an essential addition to any Ameriprog collection
    It sounds a bit twee to these ears; not terrible but awfully derivative of Foxtrot- and Nursery Cryme-era Genesis. With less distinctive vocals.

I was amused however to see it described as a "sticky Surprise"!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progaor View Post
    Nice review.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Third league. They sound like a high school band cutting their teeth on prog. Sold it ages ago...
    Quite correct. The band members were 17 and 18 when they recorded the album. In fact they were all still in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by progaor View Post
    Yes, cool review! I agree

Sorry I did not put a band bio in the booklet due to cost/space considerations....I included a 2 page bio with copies ordered from me personally at the time.

Some interesting trivia/whereabouts info:

Surprise keyboardist Blair Blake is presently the webmaster for the band Tool, and has written a couple of occult-related books.

Vocalist Mark Biehl has released two "new-age" discs in recent years and does Borders-type gigs these days in the St. Louis area.

Drummer Dave Kelly is a successful painter and sculptor.

Haven't been in touch with guitarist/bassist Rick Bess in many years. Don't know what he's up to, but hope he is well, he has had many health issues.

Mark Biehl's 'vocal coach', Chuck Sabatino, wrote songs for Michael McDonald and was a member of his touring band. He also had one of his songs recorded by Head East. Sadly he passed in 1996.