Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simon Says ?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I will be getting this....(Siren Songs)....but verify for me: this has not been released on CD, right? I see it in i-tunes and Amazon MP3 only. I would rather have CD if available.....
    Greg Walker/Syn-phonic has Siren Songs on CD. He got some copies from the band. It's excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I've always heard the Swedish An bands described as sounding like King Crimson, never like Genesis.
    Well, to be really pedantic here, Anglagard sounds like a love child from a Shylock and SFF one night stand, but that makes sense only if you know those two bands :-) I probably should have referenced earlier in the Genesis discography, Nursery Crime perhaps. I can see where it might be hard to follow the analogy, but go back and imagine Genesis of that era as an instrumental band with Gabriel's voice being replaced by a flute or guitar lead. Anglagard was just too darned symphonic for a King Crimson association, unlike Anekdoten, who managed to capture the brutal nature of the Red era quite nicely.

Reference like this are meant to be suggestive only, trying to infer some quality from something a person might know as to help them decide if they should make an effort to explore further.

We don't need to have a kitten over it - and I am looking at you, Hugues :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I've always heard the Swedish An bands described as sounding like King Crimson, never like Genesis.
    If you mean Anglagard, to me, it's evident that they took on a cross of Genesis, Yes AND Crimson

Anekdoten is definitely Crimsonian, though

Quote Originally Posted by bob_netherton View Post
    We don't need to have a kitten over it - and I am looking at you, Hugues :-)

Not sure what this is about?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    If you mean Anglagard, to me, it's evident that they took on a cross of Genesis, Yes AND Crimson. Anekdoten is definitely Crimsonian, though
    What was relatively "new" with the three 'an' bands (Ängla, Anek and Landberk) was that they were admittedly as informed by obscurities from the hidden annalles of progressive rock as they were by the "big" ones. All three of them had passionate record collectors in their ranks, and Sweden's very own rock past was held in particular regard; Kebnekaise, November & Saga, Fläsket Brinner, Älgarnas Trädgård, Turid, Dice, Life, Contact, Trettioåriga Kriget, International Harvester, Bo Hansson, Panta Rei, Råg I Ryggen - these disparate artists and countless more were all listened to with close attention to detail. In Änglagård's case - and this is rarely touched upon - they were also quite influenced by the more radical approaches within progressive rock, such as with 80s UZero, Western Culture-era HC, Conventum, Maneige, Dün and so on, and applying this compositional formalism to their own environment of "symphonic" rock. This further accounts to the fact that the band managed to place themselves perfectly between the comfort zones of "regular" genre enthusiasts and those of more "out" listeners, where the first group of listeners somehow rarely seem to be all too aware of what actually goes on within the camp of the second. I always thought this was a highly cunning and intriguing move by the Ängles.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What was relatively "new" with the three 'an' bands (Ängla, Anek and Landberk) was that they were admittedly as informed by obscurities from the hidden annalles of progressive rock as they were by the "big" ones. All three of them had passionate record collectors in their ranks, and Sweden's very own rock past was held in particular regard; Kebnekaise, November & Saga, Fläsket Brinner, Älgarnas Trädgård, Turid, Dice, Life, Contact, Trettioåriga Kriget, International Harvester, Bo Hansson, Panta Rei, Råg I Ryggen - these disparate artists and countless more were all listened to with close attention to detail. In Änglagård's case - and this is rarely touched upon - they were also quite influenced by the more radical approaches within progressive rock, such as with 80s UZero, Western Culture-era HC, Conventum, Maneige, Dün and so on, and applying this compositional formalism to their own environment of "symphonic" rock. This further accounts to the fact that the band managed to place themselves perfectly between the comfort zones of "regular" genre enthusiasts and those of more "out" listeners, where the first group of listeners somehow rarely seem to be all too aware of what actually goes on within the camp of the second. I always thought this was a highly cunning and intriguing move by the Ängles.
    You can hear that a bit in Angla's latest album.... the last minute or so of the album could come from a Samla album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.