Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's your fave Bowie guitarist in context?

Ronson, then Belew.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Ronson, then Belew.
    Thats the way I see it too. Some great guitar on those first albums. Then Belew.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Reeves Gabrels.
    Me, too. Loved that era

Reeves Gabrels for me. It was largely his guitar work that made me a fan of Tin Machine.

Ronson was a big piece of DNA on a lot of the classic stuff. Fripp expanded things quite a bit, and Belew is obviously great, but for me Gabrels playing had a focus and depravity that was mind-blowingly unique.

I never met a drummer who didn't love Stewart Copeland, regardless of how they felt about The Police.

The reason I say that is because the only guitarist that pretty much every guitarist I've met can agree on is Mick Ronson.

Everything he played was perfect for the tune. You wouldn't want to change a note.

It's a no brainer....Mick Ronson!

All of the Bowie guitarists were great, but Fripp’s sustained laser-beam guitar on Heroes is hard to beat.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

First thing that came to my mind was Alomar.

Not a big Bowie fan but did like those albums he was on.

DtB

Thats what I loved so much about his work, the newest album coming out, who was going to be on it!? You never had to worry about the musicianship on an album and you were always exposed to brilliance you never heard of before. He always had the best. Ronson because all the classic work he's involved with. Belew because of the wild atmosphere he brought, Alomar was amazing, Gabrels added atmosphere and balls and reinvigorated his work at the same time. But the one that rarely gets mentioned is Earl Slick. The guy would pop in at a moments notice and play like ALL of them! Out of all of his guitarists, I respect him the most.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Thats what I loved so much about his work, the newest album coming out, who was going to be on it!? You never had to worry about the musicianship on an album and you were always exposed to brilliance you never heard of before. He always had the best. Ronson because all the classic work he's involved with. Belew because of the wild atmosphere he brought, Alomar was amazing, Gabrels added atmosphere and balls and reinvigorated his work at the same time. But the one that rarely gets mentioned is Earl Slick. The guy would pop in at a moments notice and play like ALL of them! Out of all of his guitarists, I respect him the most.
    Studio wise they were all excellent.
    When I saw the Serious Moonlight tour Alomar and Slick were the guitarists. To this day I remember the energy that Slick brought to the stage.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Ronson definitely. The other guitarists are great, but when I think of that classic Bowie guitar sound, I always think of Ronson. I would say Alomar is a very close second, while his playing hasn't become as recognizable as Ronson's, he was very important creatively to Bowie's post Spiders from Mars work. He certainly helped add "the funk" to a lot of Bowie's mid-late 70's work.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

I saw Ronson as part of Ian Hunter's lineup (for his You Can't Argue with a Schizophrenic tour), and while he was good there, it wasn't until I recently saw the Ziggy Stardust concert film after Bowie's death that I realized how good Mick was with Bowie. If only that damned movie spent less time on the audience and more time on that incredible band on stage...

Doesn't change my preference for Belew, though - Ade's exuberance - doesn't matter if it is solo, with Zappa, Talking Heads, Bowie, or KC (never saw him w/the Bears) - his on-stage presence wins me over every time.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Ronson.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Belew for sheer awesomeness on Stage, Gabrels for balls-out edginess (and for being the guitarist the only time I ever saw Bowie live), and Alomar as the utility guy. I've never thought of Fripp as one of "Bowie's guitarists," more a guest star/secret weapon.

If you like Slick, you can buy one of his guitars. Not quite my cup of tea--I like mine a little less thrashed.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/SLICK-Br...cts_c_493.html

I pick Ronson, Alomar, Belew, Gabrels, Slick, Torn, Monder, Fripp, SRV..............all depending on day of the week and whatever mood i'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Yes! Back in the day, I had a couple of Slick's solo discs. Would love to get my hands on CD copies of these, I enjoyed the hell out of them.

Ronson...!

As I felt - a win/win situation all around!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I'd have to go with Mick Ronson. Rebel Rebel absolutely kicks major booty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Curious your thoughts on this one.

Guitar Player's current issue is all about them and a great read!

Attachment 7156
    Thanks for mentioning the mag, I picked it up yesterday. Glancing though it, I see there's an article on Webb Wilder. Coolness!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I'd have to go with Mick Ronson. Rebel Rebel absolutely kicks major booty.
    Bowie played guitar on this one.

My vote is for Ronson also!

Mick Ronson's memorable guitar tunes wins hands down... for me. He is similar to Brian May from Queen, his tunes are very unique and catchy, you can immediately recognize and tell which track is playing

I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
    I'm the space invader,.....

Too many great Bowie tracks to mention but here is another great one
    Ziggy Stardust | David Bowie
    Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,
    And The Spiders from Mars.
    Starting with another memorable guitar tune, added by vocals and bass both smoking' great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Bowie played guitar on this one.
    Alan Parker, who was credited for playing guitar on 1984, claims that he also plays uncredited on Rebel Rebel, unless Bowie erased and re-recorded the guitar part afterwards. Nevertheless, Parker claims he recognizes his own playing and I think I believe him, because the guitar playing on Rebel Rebel sounds cleaner and more precise than on other Diamond Dogs tracks, even if the tone itself is quite rough.