Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    If they're talking about a June release, it is probably recorded and mastered by now.

Henry
    I can't find anything by that title online, but maybe it's just too early.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

Great potential here and I think it is a great pairing. Jon has lots of ideas that he sometimes has trouble actually completing. Roine is very professional and a prolific composer himself so he can take those ideas and fragments and make the pieces whole. This could be something very special
    Yes, this is pretty much my thoughts as well. I could imagine Roine, if given free rein creatively, would really put in the effort to turn this into something special.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    OK, cool. So it's sort of like back in the Tales or Relayer days, whereas instead of handing his rough ideas over to 4 guys Jon handed them over to 1.

My next question is: will this be just Roine and Jon, or did Roine bring in other folks to play on it?
    I'm thinking I've seen veiled reference on FB to other people like Jonas Reingold being involved...if memory serves...but I can't remember anyone else at the moment.

This whole thing sort of goes back a few years. A few people on the Flower Kings mailing list were discussing this and suggesting this could be a fruitful collaboration. Whether those conversations contributed to this actually happening I couldn't say. I mean, on some level if you're a symphonic prog artist and the opportunity to work with JA comes up you probably would avail yourself...
    <sig out of order>

Q: Will the vocals be in Hippy Solar Rainbow Guinea Pig Latin or Swedish?

A: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I doubt anyone here knows these details yet. Is the album even created yet? (Though it would certainly be interesting to know once it's done.)
    There have been teaser photos of the inside of a recording studio with reference to some secret project going back months now, so I'd assume the recording is done.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Will it matter?

No.
    <sig out of order>

I've always thought that this would be a great combination. Roine and Jon have similar musical visions, and Roine has the work ethic and organization skills (not to mention the musical talent) to actually make something out of Jon's scattershot ideas. Heck, a Jon + Flower Kings world tour would be a fantastic thing. They could really do justice to the Yes epics, and I'd be curious to see what Jon could add to some of the TFK catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm thinking I've seen veiled reference on FB to other people like Jonas Reingold being involved...if memory serves...but I can't remember anyone else at the moment..
    I think you are right and it makes sense that Roine would call on some of his TFK mates to work on this. - I remember on FB a year ago Roine posted some pictures of a secret studio session with Jonas, Felix Lehrmann and Tom Brislin. All with vague explanations about what it was or wasn't. Saying more information to come. Maybe that is it (or maybe not) This is getting really exciting!!

Could be interesting. It looks like the collaboration was all done remotely, which may not be the way to get the best out of the possibilities... or maybe it is, allowing Stolt to work freely with Anderson's ideas. Definitely looking forward to it. If Anderson gets this and the Anderson Rabin Wakeman album this year, that will make up for many years of more... erratic output.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

ROFLMAO!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I would certainly be interested in this. Seems like a natural fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I think you are right and it makes sense that Roine would call on some of his TFK mates to work on this. - I remember on FB a year ago Roine posted some pictures of a secret studio session with Jonas, Felix Lehrmann and Tom Brislin. All with vague explanations about what it was or wasn't. Saying more information to come. Maybe that is it (or maybe not) This is getting really exciting!!
    Yes, now that you mention it, those are the people I recall as well. But who knows, maybe that's an entirely different project.
    <sig out of order>

This may be a bit premature to say, but Jon is sure making up for lots of missed opportunities recently.

Wow! I've wanted to hear a collaboration between those two for a long time, going farther back than the Jon + Transatlantic show from a few years back. From the first time I heard "Church of Your Heart," which to me sounds like a Yes song that Yes never made, I wondered what could happen if Jon and Roine worked together.

Looking forward to the results.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here's a crazy-ass video where Jon mentions the album:

https://www.facebook.com/andersonpon...1786663890278/

Could be interesting. It looks like the collaboration was all done remotely, which may not be the way to get the best out of the possibilities... or maybe it is, allowing Stolt to work freely with Anderson's ideas. Definitely looking forward to it. If Anderson gets this and the Anderson Rabin Wakeman album this year, that will make up for many years of more... erratic output.

Henry
    Agree but think this remote thing used to get on Howes nerves. He like to work in studio and jam it out like in the old days. From my own experience I get better work done face to face than via other forms of communication.

That video of him made me sea sick---who was the camera man? Was just in San Luis Obisbo two weeks ago--if he still lives there--very sweet town.
    Last edited by 2steves; 03-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Does someone have any details about how this was done? I'm guessing Roine was the main composer/producer and sent Jon the music over the intertubes. Jon then came up with vocal parts, recorded them and sent them back for Roine to work into the final mixes. Does that sound about right?
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can add a little to the story. It's a bit more hands on & Jon is VERY involved in it.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I am looking forward to this as long as they don't cover any Yes songs.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can add a little to the story. It's a bit more hands on & Jon is VERY involved in it.
    Can you say more?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Have you heard this thing? We'll know if you're lying or not based on any little smirk evident in your avatar picture over there, so keep that in mind.

I have never been much of a Flower Kings fan, but Roine's playing and ideas aligned to Jon's broader vision, could make this interesting. I very much enjoyed The Anderson Ponty Band project, and also the last long-form composition Anderson released (Open), so I'm waiting to give this a listen.

Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    This may be a bit premature to say, but Jon is sure making up for lots of missed opportunities recently.
    As a long-time critic of Jon's erratic method, I completely agree. This would be a very productive year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just posted on Facebook:

Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt team up for ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’

Anderson / Stolt, the brand new duo of legendary Yes vocalist & singer/songwriter Jon Anderson and progressive rock veteran Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Transatlantic), have announced the release of their collaborative album ‘The Invention Of Knowledge’ for 24th June 2016 via InsideOut Music.

Jon Anderson had this to say: “.....Music is always the driving force in my life...working with such a wonderful musician as Roine Stolt made the creation of this album very unique,we are very excited with the release of 'Invention of Knowledge'.“

Roine Stolt adds: “It is not aiming at being new Yes music; just new music, modern and classical, rock and ethno, tribal and orchestrated, grooving and floating. Hopefully in the true spirit of “progressive” - leaning forward, surprising and also comforting with familiar run-arounds.

We’ve been “inventing” as we go along - Jon is an endless source of new ideas. We’ve been bouncing ideas back and forth for months and as a result there are probably dozens of versions of these songs. It’s been a very interesting and rewarding time and the result is just insanely detailed.”

InsideOut label-head Thomas Waber comments: “I have been talking to Jon for ages about making an album of ‘Yes music’ – as Jon calls it - and Roine seemed like the perfect guy for him to work with. I am really happy that it has finally happened and I am also thrilled with the material they have come up with. I think it will please a lot of fans!”

The idea came to life swiftly off the back of a performance from Roine’s band Transatlantic, and Jon Anderson on the Progressive Nation At Sea Cruise in 2014, and was initially instigated by InsideOut Music label boss Thomas Waber. The duo set about crafting new music in the spirit of early epic works such as ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans’, ‘Awaken’ & ‘Olias Of Sunhillow’, but giving it a modern twist.

Written & recorded over the course of 1 and a half years, the tracks have been in a state of constant change as Roine and Jon swapped & refined ideas by sending tracks to each other via the internet. In March 2015, an ensemble was put together by Roine to realise the music live in the studio. Joining him there was Tom Brislin (who played on the Yes Symphonic tour) & Lalle Larsson on keys, Jonas Reingold & Michael Stolt on bass and Felix Lehrmann on drums. The sessions were also bolstered by appearances from Daniel Gildenlöw, Nad Sylvan, Anja Obermayer, Maria Rerych and Kristina Westas who all provided backing vocals.

The full track-listing for the album is as follows:
    • Knowing 17:45
    • Everybody Heals 13:20
    • Invention Of Knowledge 23:10
    • Know 11.20

Keep an eye out for more news in the coming weeks!
    ANDERSON / STOLT
    online:www.jonanderson.com
    www.theflowerkings.se

Artwork: Silas Toball

I'm assuming that this is the album cover?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally