Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rachel Flowers should be at Carl Palmer's Keith Emerson Tribute Concert

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_c_music View Post
    Keyboardists for an Emerson tribute concert:

Rachel Flowers
    Jordan Rudess
    Mark Robertson
    You forgot Eddie Jobson.

Not to mention Patrick Moraz, Rick Wakeman, Jurgen Fritz, and Flavio Premoli.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    You forgot Eddie Jobson.

I think people here are listing keyboardists that have embraced Emerson's style and performed covers of his music, not every prog key man on the planet. Moraz might be the closest since he played in Refugee with ex-Nice members Lee Jackson and Brian Davidson.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

If something positive could come out of such a personal tragedy, that would be for Rachel Flowers to get an invite to the tribute show. I think it is awesome that this sentiment got the ear of her family, that they know how she is viewed in our little corner of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I think people here are listing keyboardists that have embraced Emerson's style and performed covers of his music, not every prog key man on the planet. Moraz might be the closest since he played in Refugee with ex-Nice members Lee Jackson and Brian Davidson.

Jobson said in an interview that he learned to play the first ELP album. On one of the UKZ tours, he did Bitches Crystal (it's on the CD). And, his work with UK, especially Danger Money shows an Emerson influence.

Wakeman is self-explanatory, as is Jurgen Fritz.

Moraz jammed with Emerson, wanted to befriend him and, as you noted, was in Refugee.

Premoli, of PFM, was influenced by Emerson with the Nice. And PFM was on ELP's label!!

And PFM was on ELP's label!!
    OK i'll stand corrected on those observations above^^^^, however I believe the deal with Manticore was more of the work of lyricist Peter Sinfield who added his poetic songs to the English versions of PFM's first three albums (Sorry Pete, love your words, but like the Italian versions better). Of course Sinfield was also writing for ELP at the time so hence the connection to the band. Come to think of it, IMO what 1970's prog band would not have been impressed or even somewhat influenced by this prog-keyboard pioneer and innovator?

You forgot Eddie Jobson.

After I posted it I thought of Wakeman. I'm not as familiar with the others mentioned as many of you are.

Kevin

Tony Pagliuca would make an interesting alternative. Don't know if they ever met, though.

A few days ago I sent the email below to both Carl Palmer and Greg Lake email contacts on both their web sites. As yet I have not received any replies, and may never get one. But I'm hoping if the tribute concert does happen, at least these ELP men can consider her, and see how their fans and Rachel's fans feel about her. Below is the letter I sent and Jeanie Flowers reply.

Hello Carl,

First I must add my condolences on the tragic loss of your musical brother. I as a fan loved Keith too, and also always loved the music he did with The Nice, and of course ELP. The first time I saw ELP in concert was in 1972, and you guys blew me off my chair. I saw the band four times after that, the last time in 1992.

The reason I write is because I've heard that you may be planning a tribute concert for Keith later this year, which would be great. There should be a concert to honor this great musician. When I heard this the first person I thought of to perform is the young musical prodigy Rachel Flowers from Oxnard, California. You probably know of her already through Keith, as he was Rachel's mentor, and became a friend. And I know of no one that can play Keith's music with such bravado, accuracy and passion. She is simply amazing. I have already posted to Jeanie Flowers, Rachel's mom on Rachel's Facebook page, and she has replied that as of yet she has not been contacted, but would certainly make the effort for Rachel to attend the show if invited. I'm very confident that Rachel would be a show stopper, and a highlight of the show, even with the other fine musicians that I know you would get for such a show. If you and Greg do plan for a show like this, please consider Rachel, as I know deep down that you could not go wrong. As a fan I share your grief and sadness, but a celebration of this man's music would be a joy. Thanks for the consideration. An old fan of yours, and a newer fan of Rachel's.

Sincerely,

Dennis Stone

Rachel Flowers Music
    March 21 at 3:26pm

Thank you, Dennis. Regardless of whether Rachel is invited to participate in a tribute concert, she will continue to carry on the legacy of Keith's music. Thank you so much for thinking of her. ~ jeanie (mom)

I just read this at Jeanie Flowers' facebook page and I think it's okay to post it here. Jeanie Flowers
    10 mins ·
    It's been over a week since I learned about the passing of Keith Emerson. It's time for me to tell my story.
    I wish I could say that we knew Keith well, and that we had many memories of all our times together. Truth is, even though in many ways he was ever present in our lives, we only got to actually meet him a few times.
    Before Rachel met Keith, people were continually speculating on how it would happen, making suggestions, and all hoping to somehow be in on the big meeting, preferably with a film crew on hand. But it didn't happen that way at all.
    Our friend Paul Mouradjian contacted me one day, very excited. He told me that Keith was going to be at the Typhoon Restaurant in Santa Monica on September 8, 2013 to conduct the premier of one of his pieces with the Orchestre Surreal. Paul made the reservations, sent me the address and all the details. We arrived early, of course. I parked the car, and we walked up the stairs to the venue, which was on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and just as we turned the corner to find the doorway... who comes walking out but Keith Emerson.
    Yes, Rachel and Keith's first meeting happened in a stairwell.
    He looked at Rachel, recognized her immediately, and said something to the tune of, "Well, hello Rachel! How are you, darlin'?" Rachel giggled, recognizing his voice instantly. They hugged and spoke for a moment. He invited us to sit at his table, but having been invited by Paul, I didn't want to be rude to our host... though I know Paul will read this and say, "Jeanie!! Why didn't you??" Possibly he will smack me upside the head. Well, hindsight and all that.
    That was Rachel and Keith's first meeting. Not at all the way a lot of people hoped or imagined it would be. To me, it was perfect.
    I remember that moment so well.
    Just as special to me was the last time I met Keith. It was January 2016 and we were at NAMM. It was the end of the day, and we were pushing our way through the throngs of people coming and going through the Hilton Hotel lobby. Graham Nash was singing outside. We had just passed Leland Sklar on the sidewalk, posing for pictures with his many fans. We were on our way to make an appearance at a private reception being given by American Music & Sound, who distribute Nord Keyboards in North America. Rachel and Brian were walking just ahead of me, kind of parting the crowd in our mission to find the elevators. The noise was oppressive - a physical entity that numbed the senses. I was trying not to lose track of Rachel in the crowd, when I thought I heard someone call out to me - I don't know if I heard my name, or just a voice saying, "Hey!" but when I felt a hand grab me by the arm I stopped and turned around, and by god if it wasn't Keith Emerson standing there, with a smile that could outshine the sun.
    To this day I still marvel at the fact that Keith Emerson stopped me in that crowd of people. Somehow he recognized me.
    He gave me a hug, and I turned to get Rachel before she was swallowed up by the waves of people. I felt bad because she was exhausted, and with the noise she could barely hear me tell her who I was dragging her to say hello to. We spoke only for a few moments, and Keith said he was just checking in and had to go, and we hoped to connect again during the next few days. We passed him once, at the Korg booth where he was doing an autograph signing - I got a terrible picture of him with Herbie Hancock and Jordan Rudess and a couple of other well known keyboardists... but really, when Keith Emerson is there, who else would I notice? And we didn't get to connect again that trip.
    I will always remember that smile, and the fact that this larger than life rock god recognized me, and took the time to chat with me... about things like learning to play the ukulele at the Santa Monica Senior Center - I can't even think of him as a senior citizen. He's freakin' Keith Emerson! Hearing him talk to Rachel about working on the Doors tribute album... seeing him sign his conductor's baton after the concert at the Typhoon Restaurant and hand it to Rachel... but mostly I remember that smile. That is how I will always think of Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I just read this at Jeanie Flowers' facebook page and I think it's okay to post it here. Jeanie Flowers
    10 mins ·
    It's been over a week since I learned about the passing of Keith Emerson. It's time for me to tell my story.
    I wish I could say that we knew Keith well, and that we had many memories of all our times together. Truth is, even though in many ways he was ever present in our lives, we only got to actually meet him a few times.
    Before Rachel met Keith, people were continually speculating on how it would happen, making suggestions, and all hoping to somehow be in on the big meeting, preferably with a film crew on hand. But it didn't happen that way at all.
    Our friend Paul Mouradjian contacted me one day, very excited. He told me that Keith was going to be at the Typhoon Restaurant in Santa Monica on September 8, 2013 to conduct the premier of one of his pieces with the Orchestre Surreal. Paul made the reservations, sent me the address and all the details. We arrived early, of course. I parked the car, and we walked up the stairs to the venue, which was on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and just as we turned the corner to find the doorway... who comes walking out but Keith Emerson.
    Yes, Rachel and Keith's first meeting happened in a stairwell.
    He looked at Rachel, recognized her immediately, and said something to the tune of, "Well, hello Rachel! How are you, darlin'?" Rachel giggled, recognizing his voice instantly. They hugged and spoke for a moment. He invited us to sit at his table, but having been invited by Paul, I didn't want to be rude to our host... though I know Paul will read this and say, "Jeanie!! Why didn't you??" Possibly he will smack me upside the head. Well, hindsight and all that.
    That was Rachel and Keith's first meeting. Not at all the way a lot of people hoped or imagined it would be. To me, it was perfect.
    I remember that moment so well.
    Just as special to me was the last time I met Keith. It was January 2016 and we were at NAMM. It was the end of the day, and we were pushing our way through the throngs of people coming and going through the Hilton Hotel lobby. Graham Nash was singing outside. We had just passed Leland Sklar on the sidewalk, posing for pictures with his many fans. We were on our way to make an appearance at a private reception being given by American Music & Sound, who distribute Nord Keyboards in North America. Rachel and Brian were walking just ahead of me, kind of parting the crowd in our mission to find the elevators. The noise was oppressive - a physical entity that numbed the senses. I was trying not to lose track of Rachel in the crowd, when I thought I heard someone call out to me - I don't know if I heard my name, or just a voice saying, "Hey!" but when I felt a hand grab me by the arm I stopped and turned around, and by god if it wasn't Keith Emerson standing there, with a smile that could outshine the sun.
    To this day I still marvel at the fact that Keith Emerson stopped me in that crowd of people. Somehow he recognized me.
    He gave me a hug, and I turned to get Rachel before she was swallowed up by the waves of people. I felt bad because she was exhausted, and with the noise she could barely hear me tell her who I was dragging her to say hello to. We spoke only for a few moments, and Keith said he was just checking in and had to go, and we hoped to connect again during the next few days. We passed him once, at the Korg booth where he was doing an autograph signing - I got a terrible picture of him with Herbie Hancock and Jordan Rudess and a couple of other well known keyboardists... but really, when Keith Emerson is there, who else would I notice? And we didn't get to connect again that trip.
    I will always remember that smile, and the fact that this larger than life rock god recognized me, and took the time to chat with me... about things like learning to play the ukulele at the Santa Monica Senior Center - I can't even think of him as a senior citizen. He's freakin' Keith Emerson! Hearing him talk to Rachel about working on the Doors tribute album... seeing him sign his conductor's baton after the concert at the Typhoon Restaurant and hand it to Rachel... but mostly I remember that smile. That is how I will always think of Keith.
    Just finished that too... very cool.

^^^^Very nice. At least Rachel will always know that Keith was well aware of her talent, and appreciated her musicianship. And she must be very proud of that fact. It takes a real Chopin to be able to play the way she does. I'm sure that she will have a very successful future in music, and I'll be the first kid in town to buy her first official release, whenever that will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    ^^^^Very nice. At least Rachel will always know that Keith was well aware of her talent, and appreciated her musicianship. And she must be very proud of that fact. It takes a real Chopin to be able to play the way she does. I'm sure that she will have a very successful future in music, and I'll be the first kid in town to buy her first official release, whenever that will appear.
    Jeanie and a production crew are making a movie right now about Rachel. I can't remember the title but I can't wait to see it.

Jeanie and a production crew are making a movie right now about Rachel. I can't remember the title but I can't wait to see it.
    That title is Hearing is Believing. This also just appeared on Rachel's Facebook page:

rachel and keith.jpg

10 mins ·
    I wish I could say that we knew Keith well, and that we had many memories of all our times together ...
    In reply Mari Kawaguchi wrote:
    Jeanie, when we met at Typhoon, jazz was playing in the background, and Rachel could identify who the musicians were. Keith was stunned not because of the ability, but because he could do the same thing. "She's just like me!", he said later.
    The giggles of Rachel. The smile of Keith. Nothing is purer, nothing is more heavenly. Now Rachel, the torch has passed onto you. Please carry it on.

What a lovely message for the Flowers ladies from Keith's partner.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    What a lovely message for the Flowers ladies from Keith's partner.
    Indeed, Geezer, indeed...

Just announced on Jeanie Flowers' Facebook site, Rachel will be participating in the Official Keith Emerson Tribute concert.

https://www.facebook.com/jeanieflowers?fref=nf

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Just announced on Jeanie Flowers' Facebook site, Rachel will be participating in the Official Keith Emerson Tribute concert.

https://www.facebook.com/jeanieflowers?fref=nf
    Congratulations to her.

Can this announcement be made available here to those of us who don't do FB and are locked out from seeing it?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Can this announcement be made available here to those of us who don't do FB and are locked out from seeing it?

Here's what Jeannie wrote on fb:

"NEWS FLASH!! So many of you have asked me, and now I am very excited to be able to announce that Rachel will be playing at the Official Keith Emerson Tribute concert at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles on May 28th. This concert is open to all ages, and tickets go on sale Friday."

Here's a link to info on the El Rey's website (doesn't mention Rachel, yet, but quite an impressive list of other participants):

http://www.theelrey.com/events/detail/309437

THANKS!

No Carl Palmer. No Greg Lake.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Fantastic, I'll be there, I'll be there, I will be there! Hope this thread helped to get her there.

Here's the official poster for the upcoming tribute concert in L.A.. I hope that lots of PE forum members will attend. I'm not dissing Carl Palmer's tribute, but by the looks of this fantastic line-up, I'd rather be here. And what's super sweet is that it's in my own back yard.