Thread: Emerson's girl's words "twisted, altered, taken out of context"

Emerson's girl's words "twisted, altered, taken out of context"

Keith's girlfriend Mari weighs in about the UK press taking her words and twisting them for the sake of sensational reading. Turning the fans into a convenient scapegoat for his death....

"I was going to ignore this, but I cannot bare it anymore. There is an interview of me going around in the newspapers everywhere. Please know that there are many gross inaccuracies in this article in the manner that my words are twisted around, altered, taken out of context, or plain "I didn't say it". I've been told, "That's British tabloid for ya!" It angers me that I fell for it in my most vulnerable moment. Live and learn."

This was posted in the RIP thread but got swept aside in a flurry of posts about other things today. I think it's important we all see this.

And also to realize that the paper that got the initial scoop and did the twisting of her words was basially the UK's version of The National Enquirer.

"Consider the source" has never been truer. She unfortunately got duped and down the line every reader was as well.

I'm not suggesting rude comments were not a factor, but to say shit like "Emerson trolled to death by fans" is just a cheap shot to get readers and unfortunately will probably be the news that is remembered because it was the first "shot across the bow" so to speak, unfortunately. However sensational and one dimensional.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Keith's girlfriend Mari weighs in about the UK press taking her words and twisting them for the sake of sensational reading. Turning the fans into a convenient scapegoat for his death....

"I was going to ignore this, but I cannot bare it anymore. There is an interview of me going around in the newspapers everywhere. Please know that there are many gross inaccuracies in this article in the manner that my words are twisted around, altered, taken out of context, or plain "I didn't say it". I've been told, "That's British tabloid for ya!" It angers me that I fell for it in my most vulnerable moment. Live and learn."

This was posted in the RIP thread but got swept aside in a flurry of posts about other things today. I think it's important we all see this.

And also to realize that the paper that got the initial scoop and did the twisting of her words was basially the UK's version of The National Enquirer.

"Consider the source" has never been truer. She unfortunately got duped and down the line every reader was as well.

I'm not suggesting rude comments were not a factor, but to say shit like "Emerson trolled to death by fans" is just a cheap shot to get readers and unfortunately will probably be the news that is remembered because it was the first "shot across the bow" so to speak, unfortunately. However sensational and one dimensional.
    I didn't believe any of those "reasons" people mentioned, and frankly ignored all that.

IMHO thanks to the Internet it is easier for bullshiat rags like Daily Fail to appear on equal footing with other, more legitimate news sources.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't believe any of those "reasons" people mentioned, and frankly ignored all that.
    Same here. I thought what Lake said was probably as close to the truth as we need to get.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Same here. I thought what Lake said was probably as close to the truth as we need to get.

Bill
    I called bullshit on it as soon as it was posted at the other thread. I'm grateful Mari took the initiative, during a time where she should be left to grieve, to quell the misreporting. Now, if only we could shitcan the "Carl's an opportunist" and "Moog on Ebay" nonsense here...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Bill
    Yep. But of course the very sensationalised 'Mail account is the one that has had more circulation.

Since we're in the mood for facts, here's some more information, from the coroner's report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35806414

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Since we're in the mood for facts, here's some more information, from the coroner's report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35806414
    Yeah, pretty much corroborates what Lake was saying. Just goes to show there's often much more going on than what appears on the surface. Emerson really appeared to have it largely together, struggles with his arm notwithstanding. How wrong that appearance proved to be. Only those truly close to him probably knew, and kept it private. The fact that Lake said he "wasn't surprised" really says it all to me, though. And that it goes back decades, pointing to larger issues at play.

It's terribly sad, but I've been gratified how many positive comments I've seen on Emerson and ELP, from a wide variety of sources. In the end, I think that will trump this crap in the tabloids, which I think we're all best served just to ignore.

Bill

that's the media for you.

Bill
    If there's anyone else out there who can corroborate, I was at the Wild Horse Pass (Phoenix AZ area) Emerson and Palmer show, and during the Q&A he briefly mentioned his hand and arm troubles, and he had to pause to regain his composure. I was second row sitting right front and center of him, and seeing him have to fight with his emotions like that, however brief it was, was a little startling for me to see at the time.

Going back further, there was also a print interview round the time In the Hot Seat was released, posted on the Prodigy ELP discussion group, where the interviewer was a Grade 'A' douche and Emo was uncharacteristically dour.

Just going by memory here, YMMV.
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 03-15-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: quote didn't post
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I'm not in the least bit surprised by this.

I thought last year he had announced he was retiring from live performance. I was surprised to hear about this upcoming Japanese tour.

Talking about "British tabloids", didn't Elton John sue one of them (and won!) after they accused him of being a child molester or something like that?