Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make Your Guitar Sound Like A Mellotron!

Make Your Guitar Sound Like A Mellotron!

Holy jeebus this thing sounds great, mighty impressive. EHX has hit it out of the park!

Awful.

Maybe the Birotron was their template?

Whoa...Just watched the whole thing....Orch, Cello, strings, flute, sax sounded pretty good. The Choirs were awful. Pretty advanced technology for a GTR pedal to get these sounds. I am impressed...wonder what the $-tag is?

I think it lists at $295.00

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Awful.

Possibly the Orchestron, as they did show Orchestron discs in the opening. I always thought the Orchestron sounded really awful, but it has its adherents. I guess those people are bigger Kraftwerk fans that I am.

A neat gizmo, but what with MIDI guitar technology being what it is, is it really necessary?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

New "Mel 9" 'Tron pedal for guitar!

Name the tunes! Pretty good emulations here! EH makes other pedals that emulate organs and electric pianos fairly convincingly, but this rules more!

I'm an out of control tronoholic and nothing beats the real analog tape monster! Although I must say this is not too bad. The full orchestra and the low choir sounds best to me. But if you are a poor guitarist this is an acceptable device. I just hope that any serious prog bands would not use this, and deny a keyboardist the real deal. Maybe this along with a real tron would be ok? And does it have pitch control?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Except for the dodgy choir, this thing sound great! Me want...

I usually make it sound like either a kazoo, a toy trumpet or a defect bagpipe. Free of charge.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Awesome! 'Tron sound is quite amazing.
    Although I'm not a musician personally, I like to see every such novelty because those multi-instrumentalists' prog albums will be getting better and better.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-15-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Sean, there is already another thread on this.

Listened to the samples last night. Not bad. Oddly, I actually like the Brass and Low Tron Choir the best, I didn't think the string sounds were all that great. Probably sounds better in a mix. I've heard the organ pedal version of this in use, and it's not bad for certain kinds of things. I'd be be tempted by this, but these are usually somewhat pricey, and I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Awful.

It's not going to fool many people - but many artists might get inspiration from this. People probably said that the tron sounded awful too! Nothing like a real choir!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Possibly the Orchestron, as they did show Orchestron discs in the opening. I always thought the Orchestron sounded really awful, but it has its adherents. I guess those people are bigger Kraftwerk fans that I am.

A neat gizmo, but what with MIDI guitar technology being what it is, is it really necessary?
    It's a lot cheaper than a midi solution, it's simple and it works (like and effect pedal) with any guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    And does it have pitch control?
    Well, you can bend the notes! It uses the guitar notes as the basis for the sound. You'll get out, what you put in.

But if you are a poor guitarist this is an acceptable device.
    At first I read this as "poor" meaning "not very good." Actually, I suppose both apply in my case...

Ooooooo...WANT!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I usually make it sound like either a kazoo, a toy trumpet or a defect bagpipe. Free of charge.
    I'm sorry but I have the band name Defect Bagpipe™ trademarked, so I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to quit using that term for your performances.

Where's the "wobble?"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    The Choirs were awful. Pretty advanced technology for a GTR pedal to get these sounds.
    I thought the Low Choir actually sounded pretty good, that was one of my favorite sounds along with the Brass. I wasn't blown away by the Strings or Flute, but for what this is they aren't awful. The technology is actually pretty simple. EXH has other boxes that do the same thing for organs, and all they are doing is manipulating various tones triggered by the electric signal to emulate the sounds. I'm honestly surprised nobody thought to do this ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A couple of advantages of this mover MIDI triggering. First, as already mentioned, the cost and necessity of having a MIDI pickup or guitar.

Second, pitch to MIDI is not terribly stable. You have to have really good technique, and even then you can get a ton of glitches. I use the EXH POG, which is an octave pedal with options for octave low and octave high. It is without doubt the best octave pedal I've ever used, both in sound, and in terms of it's flawless ability to track even low notes. The tracking in the MEL-9 I'm sure is identical to the POG. And that is a huge plus for a unit like this.

I'm an out of control tronoholic and nothing beats the real analog tape monster! Although I must say this is not too bad. The full orchestra and the low choir sounds best to me. But if you are a poor guitarist this is an acceptable device. I just hope that any serious prog bands would not use this, and deny a keyboardist the real deal. Maybe this along with a real tron would be ok? And does it have pitch control?
    I agree with you on the Low Choir. I'll have another listen to the Full Orchestra, that was the first sound, maybe I'm not remembering it as clearly for that reason. I think this unit and EHX's organ unit are more aimed at bands, particularly those with two guitarists, that want an occasional touch of Tron or organ to flesh out a song, but don't need or want a dedicated keyboardist. I could see a Prog band using this, but likely in tandem with a real keyboard, or with other effects. I could also see a Prog band using a device like this in a totally unanticipated way.

Also, why would this device need a pitch control? You can pitch bend with the strings.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Sean, there is already another thread on this.
    Show me and I will merge them. Did you start it? This thing just came out yesterday, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Show me and I will merge them. Did you start it? This thing just came out yesterday, didn't it?
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ke-A-Mellotron!

You have to expect that people here would be on anything Mellotron like ravenous sharks in a fish run.

Merged

Now pass around the collection plate and send me one!

List price is under $300. Looks like a great option for those on a budget, sort of like a poor man's emulator. And much more portable!

EDIT: I just found it for $221.30 at sweetwater.com.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 03-15-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

For what it does I think the price is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Merged

Now pass around the collection plate and send me one!

Timing is everything......my work bonus comes out next week.

But if you are a poor guitarist this is an acceptable device.
    No, actually. Speaking as a poor guitarist, I wouldn't touch this, because I know from years of experience with these kinds of devices (years that I probably should've used improving my playing) that the lack of precision in my playing would result in an endless stream of clunky unintended bum notes and noises and frustration.