Thread: Easy ZZ Top question for the fans....

Easy ZZ Top question for the fans....

So, is there any way of obtaining copies of the first two albums with their original mixes outside of getting a big box set? I'm only really a fan of the first two....

There are loads of vinyls in circulation.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks, but no good to me.

And, FYI, its vinyl, not 'vinyls'

Unfortunately on CD, only 1971-1990 complete studio recordings box has decent mixes.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Ah well, that sucks. You'd think they would have sorted that out by now.....

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Ah well, that sucks. You'd think they would have sorted that out by now.....
    I know that they issued Tres Hombres and Fandango! with the correct original mix individually, back in 2006. But not the first two ones nor Tejas (which is atrociously butchered on CD).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Try Best Buy. A couple years ago they had a discount CD section. I saw the first two ZZ Top albums. I have Rio Grande Mud. I didn't get the first one though. I should have gotten it. Barnes & Noble has a discount section too. I should see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Thanks, but no good to me.

And, FYI, its vinyl, not 'vinyls'
    My redneck father insists on doing the same thing. THere's no actual reason for him to even be using the word "vinyl" to refer to records, but he does it, and he also insists on putting the s on the end too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    My redneck father insists on doing the same thing. THere's no actual reason for him to even be using the word "vinyl" to refer to records, but he does it, and he also insists on putting the s on the end too.
    It's like 'Legos'
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just listened to a great vinyls - it was on a CDs.

If it's any good to you, the 2-cd best of Rancho Texicano has all original mixes- it's chronological so features a few songs from these two albums. I don't have the albums in question but I've heard some of those remixed tracks. Some of Free's catalogue got that treatment as well...these remixes actually sound more dated than the originals do.

Speaking of ZZ Top, the drum sound of the CDs has been altered to sound more 80s "modernised" and sound like stuff from the Eliminator period. So it's very reasonable seeking the original mixes to hear what the band truely sounded.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS