Thread: FEATURED CD Squonk Opera : Bigsmorgasbordwunderwerk

FEATURED CD Squonk Opera : Bigsmorgasbordwunderwerk

Per Amazon:
    Squonk Opera's apparent purpose is to kick opera down from its elitist perch, but that's not to say that the group wants to make the genre more accessible to the masses. Like Le Cirque du Soleil and Blue Man Group, whose recordings don't necessarily help listeners visualize the actual live performance, Squonk Opera's latest project, which made it to Broadway, is a weird amalgam that draws from a multitude of art forms and musical genres. As the title reveals, the latest work is vaguely about food, but that's like saying that Hair was a play about hirsuteness. Not only are the lyrics sparse and cryptic and the vocals intentionally incomprehensible but, except for "In the kitchen of the mountain king," which does sort of evoke Edvard Grieg, the sounds, like the visuals and effects on stage, are often unpredictable. Many of those who have seen this latest work do consider it a jolly good time. At the very least this group cannot be accused of resorting to clichis. -Paul-Emile Comeau -- From Rhythm Magazine
    http://www.amazon.com/Bigsmorgasbord...N%3DB00004YL73

Regards,

Duncan

Ah yes, their stint on Broadway. I have the CD but I really wish I’d seen the show; their music is fine, but it’s missing something without the visuals. I only have this one and their prior release, Howandever, but I understand they have something like a half-dozen CDs under their belt now, and have appeared on one of those TV talent shows.

Incidentally, an acquaintance of mine from New York who doesn’t know a damn thing about prog raved about this show, and was gutted when it didn’t find an audience. Not bad for a band who got their start at ProgDay.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Have all of their CDs except the latest, and have been to 4 or 5 of their shows. The shows are not to be missed if you are anywhere near one.

These guys are great. I have the first four albums through Inferno but lost track of them after that, which I will have to rectify. I did get to see them perform this one, which was really incredible. The music stands on its own, but when you realize it is choreographed to a full stage show there is an added dimension to it.

I attended the work-in-progress workshop for Bigsmorgasbord, but never got to the the final full-scale production. Amazingly awesome band. I haven't picked up their latest disc yet, but Ken Golden raved on his site that it was a full-blown prog album. --Peter

Always felt an urge to catch them in performance, but I'll have to admit that none of what I've heard from their studio work has made much of an impression on me. They're intriguing for their conceptual status, I just haven't been able to fully catch on to their music as such.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

In 1997 they played a month long of weekend gigs at a dinner theatre in Toronto. I was blown away!!! went to see them 7 times during that month and I've seen them several times since, including in their home town of Pittsburgh. They are sponsored by the Pittsburgh Arts group, I think this why they have managed to stay afloat...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature