Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Nad Sylvan finally added to PA

  1. #1
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775

    Nad Sylvan finally added to PA

    Well, I've seen posts about progressive ears on progarchives so hopefully no one will think this is a big deal. Anyway, I'm not sure why it took so long but they finally added a profile for Nad.

    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9720

  2. #2
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,789
    Well, we can all sleep easier tonight.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  3. #3
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    3,036
    Nad Sylvan +
    PA
    ------------------

    ?????????

  4. #4
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,292
    Wow, I know ProgArchives has a pretty extensive list of artists, and kudos to them for including them all, and keeping up with everything as well as they do, but taking 8 months (or how ever long its been) from what is generally regarded as a pretty major release in the prog world is odd. Well, I'm glad its there now at any rate.

  5. #5
    Progarchives has been very "good" to us. Prog Magazine, well that's something else entirely. We do a European tour playing 4 dates in the UK, play Summer's End Festival and its 8 months later and every Prog publication has reviewed our "new" album except them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Progarchives has been very "good" to us. Prog Magazine, well that's something else entirely. We do a European tour playing 4 dates in the UK, play Summer's End Festival and its 8 months later and every Prog publication has reviewed our "new" album except them
    I would be so grateful if every publication except Prog reviewed my album; maybe publicly complaining about it will get you the review you feel is owed.

    At least you guys still have your PA ratings to fall back on, I remember you telling me how important those numbers have been in helping your band.

  7. #7
    they are ignoring my suggestion-no answer either way.

    nothing has changed.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  8. #8

    Nad Sylvan finally added to PA

    The glass is half full Kerry but every publication (I think) we (us and 10T) sent out to have reviewed it by now except for them, as usual. Once in a while they surprise me with a feature on The Tea Club (last issue) and other smaller players in the US scene but that's not the norm. And we're not "owed" a review so much as a magazine that is thorough should be able to know the fish swimming in its midst and figure out label/festival caliber acts and construct a more timely program. I'm not asking them to keep tabs on obscure Bandcamp-only Prog created by one guy in Nome, Alaska.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I'm not asking them to keep tabs on obscure Bandcamp-only Prog created by one guy in Nome, Alaska.
    That guy actually got a pretty good review in Prog.

  10. #10
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,789
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I'm not asking them to keep tabs on obscure Bandcamp-only Prog created by one guy in Nome, Alaska.
    That's got a write-up in the New Releases thread here on PE.

  11. #11
    Member mellotron storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    181
    I'm more impressed that VLY was just added, that's more my style of music.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,462
    Well, I'm still confused that Talking Heads are in but XTC is out. Makes no sense to me but who am I to complain.
    Prog's Not Dead

  13. #13
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Well, I'm still confused that Talking Heads are in but XTC is out. Makes no sense to me but who am I to complain.
    They refuse to include the Tubes and the Grateful Dead(who ironically had the same keyboard player at one point) and probably lots of others and yet they do include Tori Amos and Bjork and lots of crossover and post rock bands.

  14. #14
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,789
    So at what point do you conclude that the genre designations at Prog Archives are clueless, and wash your hands of the mess? It's the rational approach, fwiw. (and imo, of course.)

  15. #15
    I think it's not a bad guide to a good majority of the music that 90% of PE would agree is Prog. I think there will be a contested 10% of stuff like The Tubes, XTC and The Grateful Dead that shall forever teeter on the Not Prog/Prog Related border. And of the 90% we'd agree on, probably 10-20% would not fit perfectly into the allocated subgenres. Still, all this considered, it's not a bad undertaking even though quite a bit anal.

  16. #16
    Nobody has even reviewed the suggestion I put in. Not that I am surprised, since I don't sit at the cool table there.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  17. #17
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Nobody has even reviewed the suggestion I put in. Not that I am surprised, since I don't sit at the cool table there.
    Well thank goodness for PE where you are very, very cool

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,633
    What's Nad doing in Pennsylvania?

  20. #20
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    3,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    What's Nad doing in Pennsylvania?
    That's almost as bad as my joke that everybody ignored.

  21. #21
    Member Nijinsky Hind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Progarchives has been very "good" to us. Prog Magazine, well that's something else entirely. We do a European tour playing 4 dates in the UK, play Summer's End Festival and its 8 months later and every Prog publication has reviewed our "new" album except them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do an interview and praise Rick Wakeman? Jus kiddin.

    Great admiration for a band that actually takes it on the road. You deserve it.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-12-2016 at 12:56 AM.
    Still alive and well...

  22. #22
    Hehe, good point Nijinsky Hind. 80% of the Prog Magazine editors live in the past and the other 20% ignore every new release that has not been touched by Steven Wilson

    As for ProgArchives: getting an act included is an (overly) complicated process there these days. The site tries to avoid being inclusive, but the process around that is putting a strain on the limited time of a small group of volunteers.

  23. #23
    Member Nijinsky Hind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Hehe, good point Nijinsky Hind. 80% of the Prog Magazine editors live in the past and the other 20% ignore every new release that has not been touched by Steven Wilson

    As for ProgArchives: getting an act included is an (overly) complicated process there these days. The site tries to avoid being inclusive, but the process around that is putting a strain on the limited time of a small group of volunteers.
    They do really have a huge listing of prog bands and even include avant garde and metal. (progarchives)

    Reviews galore too. Almost as good as PE. . But then they are two completely different websites.
    Still alive and well...

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well, I've seen posts about progressive ears on progarchives so hopefully no one will think this is a big deal. Anyway, I'm not sure why it took so long but they finally added a profile for Nad.

    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9720
    It took so long you said?

    Look this: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=80870

    Almost five years




    p.s. Anyway, many thanks to Sagichim from the PA' "eclectic prog" team who cleared The Grand Astoria for addition.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They refuse to include the Tubes and the Grateful Dead(who ironically had the same keyboard player at one point) and probably lots of others and yet they do include Tori Amos and Bjork and lots of crossover and post rock bands.
    A very interesting discussion about The Tubes suggestion for the PA' "prog-related" section: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo...TID=76664&PN=1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •