Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis - French TV (Melody '74) Supper's Ready - 1st Gen. Copy (Finally)

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    This would be pure gold. Gold I tell ya!!!!
    Yes it absolutely would be. I'd love to see the entire show... "White Mountain" would be a treat! Not to mention losing all the stupid film footage.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I guess I should be glad it's there at all, but it annoys me there are several shots of Steve doing nothing during "Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" and not a SINGLE SHOT of him doing the solo to "Iknaton and Itsacon." At what point did directors and editors finally become competent in filming concerts?
    Did they become competent? Other than the Grateful Dead Movie, Woodstock, and The Last Waltz, virtually every concert film/video/whatever I've ever seen has more than it's share of bad editing. There's out of synch shots, where it's clear the musician on screen isn't playing what you're hearing, or shots where they show the wrong band member (eg showing the bass player or the rhythm guitarist during the guitar solo). I've seen a few where guitarists mysteriously change instruments mid song (eg the Whole Lotta Love sequence in The Song Remains The Same, or Guy Pratt's Money bass solo in Delicate Sound Of Thunder, where he's shown playing about 4 different basses). Then there's dumb ideas like the "fantasy" sequences in The Song Remains The Same and the computer generated stuff in 9021Live.

Now you've got that terrible thing of cutting to a new shot every two seconds. Who was the rat bastard who started that, and why did everyone follow his lead? I'd pay several million quatloos to have his head brought to me on a platter.

There's a bit on the Grateful Dead Movie DVD commentary where one of the editors comments about how you "couldn't" edit a concert film like that today, and I keep asking "Well, why not?!". Why can't you edit like that now?! Because some asshole says no one will watch such a film?! Or because directors of such films are so stupid they can't figure out they don't have to follow the pack?!

One thing that stinks is you probably don't have cinematographers anymore who know how to shoot a concert the way the Grateful Dead Movie was shot. I'm talking about the cameramen, who in this case were top notch documentary cinematographers who knew how to construct a shot, how to do stuff like shift the focus from musician to musician. For instance, in this case, you've got a shot of Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Phil Lesh performing. Jerry's in focus at the outset, with the other two a little fuzzy. Then the camera slowly shifts focus first to Weir (with him coming into focus with crystal clarity) than to Phil. Or there's a great moment in Stella Blue where Jerry backs off from the microphone, and instead of abruptly panning over to wherever Jerry moved to, the camera simply slowly, calmly zooms out just a bit until Jerry's in the shot again. I bet nobody who shoots concert footage today even knows how to do that kind of stuff anymore.

(shrug)
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-15-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes it absolutely would be. I'd love to see the entire show... "White Mountain" would be a treat! Not to mention losing all the stupid film footage.
    Well, I might agree that the silent movie footage during The Cinema Show is pushing the limits of "artistic license", I actually rather like the stuff that was used on Entangled and especially Supper's Ready.

What I'd like to see is the front halves of both The Cinema Show and Supper's Ready, if such things exist in a viewable form. The other thing I'd like to see is Dance On A Volcano, since I know they used a really cool slideshow/film during that one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I might agree that the silent movie footage during The Cinema Show is pushing the limits of "artistic license", I actually rather like the stuff that was used on Entangled and especially Supper's Ready.

What I'd like to see is the front halves of both The Cinema Show and Supper's Ready, if such things exist in a viewable form. The other thing I'd like to see is Dance On A Volcano, since I know they used a really cool slideshow/film during that one.
    You are quite correct: the 1976 tour featured new slides/films (such as for "Dance on a Volcano") as well as many of the old slides/films they used in the past (such as for "The Lamb..."). It was very well done. My old photos of the show don't quite do justice to what the show was like.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reputedly, all the raw footage from the Genesis In Concert shoot still exists, which apparently includes most, if not all, of the setlist that was played on the A Trick Of The Tail tour, so it would just be down to someone making Tony Maylam (I think that's the director's name, he's the one who apparently owns the material in question) a big enough offer to get him interested in doing something with it.
    Lord knows why he's just sitting on it. Unreasonable visions of renumeration?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    You are quite correct: the 1976 tour featured new slides/films (such as for "Dance on a Volcano") as well as many of the old slides/films they used in the past (such as for "The Lamb..."). It was very well done. My old photos of the show don't quite do justice to what the show was like.
    Yeah, I had heard about the slides used during Dance On A Volcano, showing an erupting volcano. And then for the instrumental coda section, the slides morph into an actual film. I was lucky enough to see The Musical Box do the A Trick Of The Tail show, and I assume they did a good job of recreating that part of the show, which did indeed look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Lord knows why he's just sitting on it. Unreasonable visions of renumeration?
    Well, in the first place, someone has to pay for the project. You can't just say "Oh, I've got all this footage sitting around, I should put it out on DVD". Someone has to pay to have the footage developed (if it hasn't already), then these days, it has to be transferred to digital format (well, you could edit the old fashioned way, but that would even more expensive), then you have to rent an editing suite and pay an editor to put the footage into releasable form. You'd also have to do similar work on the audio portion. All of that costs money. So someone has to put that money forward for such a project to happen.

Oh, and don't forget all the permissions that have to be had to do something. Just because the money is there, and the director wants to do it, doesn't mean the record or publishing company or whoever who would have to sign off on it would say yes (actually, it would be the record company or video company, probably who would be putting up the money in the first place).

But I've heard the director was asked at some point, and he apparently still has all the outtakes or whatever you want to call them, in his possession. Or at least he did as of 10 or so years ago, when I saw it mentioned somewhere online, I think. But I have the impression that he's not really a fan, and has no real interest in pursuing the project. There would have to be someone from the outside pressuring him to, at the very least, releasing the footage to someone else to work on. I believe his comment about Genesis In Concert was "It's very much of it's time", and I don't think he meant that as a compliment.

For what it's worth, I read that the guy who directed The Last Days Of The Fillmore filmed entire sets by every band who was in that film. He actually intended to make a sequel, but could never secure the financial backing to do it. Finally, sometime in the 80's, he was unable to continue paying for the storage of the footage, so it all got junked.

Oh, and the financial issue is probably why the officially released versions of Genesis In Concert, the Melody TV show, etc look as poor as they do. Nobody was willing to put up the money to get anything that would look better.