Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: RIP Keith Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I wonder what makes it "Official.
    It's organized by Keith's significant other and his band mate Marc Bonilla. Keith isn't/wasn't in ELP for quite some time, this show contains everyone from the Keith Emerson Band, and many of his friends, peers. I'm thinking about attending myself, but my schedule is hectic at this time. I will be at Chicago's very own FANFARE ELP Tribute band, to see their Emerson tribute show.

Carl's tour will contain dancers at the Florida show... and he dedicates "Pictures at an Exhibition" to Keith. Supposedly there will be some special guests which are yet to be announced. I worked on the ad artwork for the show.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 04-12-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Looks like Nighthawks is going to get a reissue on Varese Sarabande.

It's ironic how someone's passing initiates peoples interest. All ELP CD's at my local HMV store have sold out!!

Orcopian
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Andy Tillison's (the tangent) tribute to Keith Emerson on his dance on a volcano podcast is well worth a listen. He approaches it as both a fan and a musician so mixes enthusiasm with insight. The commentary on Tarkus is outstanding. He really brings the music to life and highlights all sorts of sounds and passages that I know and recognise but maybe have take for granted.

My respect for Emerson's writing increased further after I read Edward Macan's The Endless Enigma around 8/9 years ago. Contrary to their somewhat 'muso' reputation, I always find the classic ELP epics to flow well, with memorable themes all over the place.

I've played through every ELP album over the last few weeks, BSS several times. I tend to do that every year anyway!

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-we...ndrome-6723079

"Two years ago, Jill Gambaro received an email from Keith Emerson that now seems tragically prophetic. "Nobody wants to employ a session musician with any disability," he wrote. "Some musicians have resorted to suicide."

"Based on her research, Gambaro estimates that as many half of professional musicians struggle with some form of RSI during their career. In fact, one of the few studies on the subject suggests that the number may be even higher; in a 2013 survey of 377 professional orchestral musicians in Australia by the journal Psychology of Music, 84 percent of respondents said they had "experienced pain severe enough to interfere with their performance. "

"Keyboardists, Gambaro says, are especially susceptible to injury. "What we know about biomechanics has grown a lot," she says. "But with keyboards, the technique hasn't changed since Beethoven."

"Conventional treatment options, according to Gambaro, are limited. She describes Western medicine's approach to RSIs as "throwing spaghetti at the wall" — a combination of physical therapy, pain medications and surgery, though she notes, "Surgery largely does not help patients, especially when you have more than one of these repetitive strain syndromes." Emerson felt the same way; although his girlfriend Kawaguchi told The Daily Mail that he had undergone "an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle," the keyboardist wrote to Gambaro, "Surgery is not the answer."

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    No Palmer or Lake there, which I guess is understandable.
    And no Lee Jackson or Davy O'List either. It is a heck of a lineup, but kind of a bummer that no one from ELP or The Nice is represented.

From the artists listed it looks to pretty much be folks that are based in LA area.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Some impressively big names there.

I have been heartened by the outpouring of love for him, being an ELP fan often seemed a lonely pursuit. It's great to know so many musicians rated him highly.
    Not that it really matters, but Emerson Lake and Palmer never became "cool" like Rush eventually did so there's definitely less exposure over time that maybe didn't translate to future generations. It's great that there seems to be more appreciation now even if it's an unintended consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    It's organized by Keith's significant other and his band mate Marc Bonilla. Keith isn't/wasn't in ELP for quite some time, this show contains everyone from the Keith Emerson Band, and many of his friends, peers. I'm thinking about attending myself, but my schedule is hectic at this time. I will be at Chicago's very own FANFARE ELP Tribute band, to see their Emerson tribute show.

Carl's tour will contain dancers at the Florida show... and he dedicates "Pictures at an Exhibition" to Keith. Supposedly there will be some special guests which are yet to be announced. I worked on the ad artwork for the show.

Jeanie Flowers
    April 13 at 10:58am ·
    NEWS FLASH!! So many of you have asked me, and now I am very excited to be able to announce that Rachel will be playing at the Official Keith Emerson Tribute concert at the El Rey Theater, Los Angeles on May 28th. This concert is open to all ages, and tickets go on sale Friday.

A nice podcast/compilation of Keith's career : http://bestradioyouhaveneverheard.co...karn-evil.html

(Not sure if this has been posted already.)

Stuart Maconie did this nice tribute programme to Keith on BBC Radio 6 with a good selection of music. Think you have to be in the UK to hear it unfortunately:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075pr1z

One more time on top.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Looks like Nighthawks is going to get a reissue on Varese Sarabande.
    Its a good album, aside of disco song 'Nighthawking'. Impressive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    And no Lee Jackson or Davy O'List either. It is a heck of a lineup, but kind of a bummer that no one from ELP or The Nice is represented.
    I did not expected anything from former Nice members. Lake's issue looked rather strange, by the way. He 'was not surpised', - was it really appropriate to remind? - and his memorial speech looked rather formal, after two or three days after. Palmer is all about his business, he created a dedicational tour..I really don't care much of his renditions.

I read that Jackson was a pallbearer at Keith's funeral. I have no idea if he still performs professionally anymore. I don't know what to make of Lake's public statement. Suggesting that Keith's depression problems date back around 40 years was sad to read (I think that he stated that in a subsequent UK newspaper interview).

Greg Lake's comments were a little gauche/blunt, but they were honest.

Keith Emerson did go through a pretty horrendous 90s (in addition to his hand problem, his marriage broke down, his house burned down and there were also financial problems)...all of that must have taken a massive toll.

Keith Emerson did go through a pretty horrendous 90s (in addition to his hand problem, his marriage broke down, his house burned down and there were also financial problems)...all of that must have taken a massive toll.
    His house burned down again? I knew he had a house burn down in '75 or thereabouts, which was supposed to have inspired the last movement of the piano concerto ("con fuoco" indeed). Did Emo have a habit of playing with matches, or what?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    His house burned down again? I knew he had a house burn down in '75 or thereabouts, which was supposed to have inspired the last movement of the piano concerto ("con fuoco" indeed). Did Emo have a habit of playing with matches, or what?
    He lost his house in the divorce. Perhaps JJ88 is conflating the two events.

A house in Sussex in the 90s, apparently:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst....artsfeatures1

He mentions that he took to drink during this period in this interview.

A house in Sussex in the 90s, apparently:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst....artsfeatures1

He mentions that he took to drink during this period in this interview.
    A. Scherze's right. That's most likely either a reporting error by the journalist who wrote the article in 2002, or the article getting butchered, pre-publication, at the copy editor phase by quotes getting cobbled together, throwing the whole subject out of context. I had my share of articles mangled at the Arizona Republic and Phoenix Business Journal. The ignorance of some of the editors there boggles the mind to this day.

So here's challenge to the resident PE A/R's for research (*cough*WikiGeek*cough*), not to mention cross-checking "Pictures of an Exhibitionist" - - - The source for this *might* come from interviews posted in the ELP Digest way back when - - but at the time of all the personal strife in the 90s (the financial hits, the first surgeries, the divorce, et al), Keith at one point wound up sleeping on Will and Candy Alexander's couch in between the divorce settlement and then settling down in Santa Monica. KE addresses the Sussex home fire and "taking to drink" in the Works Tour programme published in 1977 as well.
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 04-28-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

So I just heard for the first time The Nice Live at the Fillmore East December 1969. This is one amazing live album. For those who have worn out "Welcome Back", this is an essential companion piece. The song selection is fantastic, the sound is wonderful and the band is very, very impressive. Highly recommended. I don't know how this got past me. It would definitely be the best introduction to The Nice for somebody wanting to know what they're all about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/dwjw

Just watched the 2016 R&R Hall of Fame on HBO last night. It still seemed unreal to have Keith in the 'In Memoriam' segment (as well as Chris Squire)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor