Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - "The Wall" - The Opera!

Roger Waters - "The Wall" - The Opera!

Plenty of milk left in that cow. Thought he was taking it to Broadway, perhaps after this.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-wall-20160305
    **An opera based on Pink Floyd's 1979 album The Wall, a collaboration between Opéra de Montréal and the band's former bassist and chief songwriter Roger Waters, will premiere at the Quebec opera house in March 2017. The production, dubbed Another Brick in the Wall: The Opera also unveiled their haunting rendition of the album's hit "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)."**

**The story behind The Wall was partly borne out of an incident that occurred in Montreal's Olympic Stadium in 1977, when a Pink Floyd concert ended with Waters spitting in the face of a fan who attempted to storm the stage. When asked whether The Wall's opera being staged in Montreal brings the album full circle, Waters said, "The Wall is about the journey from the enmity of spitting in someone's face to the position where love becomes more important than that enmity."**

I wonder if the original spittee gets invited? I mean, he should, at the very least, after all these years and millions and millions of dollars he's made Roger & the band. Has this person ever been identified?

Last edited by Obscured; 03-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Bloody hell, The Wall is a decent album, but Roger is ridiculous in his milking of it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Ri-chard! I cast thee out!"

"That's fine -I'll be paid as a stu-di-o musician and paid more than YOU!!!"

<enter SNOWY WHITE>

What's next, a Klezmer version of The Final Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Plenty of milk left in that cow.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadingSouth View Post
    Bloody hell, The Wall is a decent album, but Roger is ridiculous in his milking of it.

Moo!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I wonder if the original spittee gets invited? I mean, he should, at the very least, after all these years and millions and millions of dollars he's made Roger & the band. Has this person ever been identified?
    He hasn't washed his face or cut his hair since the incident to avoid spoiling the souvenir.

So this version of The Wall will be somewhat bombastic?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's next, a Klezmer version of The Wall?
    Hip-hop. To appeal to the younger generation of fans.

Roger had a few good years there as a member of Pink Floyd. Since then, he's been drifting. Coasting on his laurels. Trying to reinvigorate a 37-year old work instead of creating anything new. Pink Floyd is over. It's time to move on, Roger.

I kind of liked the Broadway production of Tommy, but a Broadway production of The Wall sort of worries me. I can see them dropping things that are to English (Vera Lynn), or too "weird" (Waiting for the Worms), and basically watering (Watersing?) it down. Would they use the Gerald Scarfe genital flowers? (Actually, did they use the Scarfe animation on the latest Wall concerts? I forget.

Next up after that: Tales from Topographic Oceans on Broadway!

STOP! I wanna go home, take off this uniform, and leave the show...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Suspended
    Surely this thread does not merit an exclamation mark in the subject heading. This is news?
    It's all he does. I didn't like David Gilmour's last album much, but at least he is creating NEW music and not living on past "glories".

In further breaking news, it has been discovered that the Pacific Ocean contains a large amount of water!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Surely this thread does not merit an exclamation mark in the subject heading. This is news?
    It's all he does. I didn't like David Gilmour's last album much, but at least he is creating NEW music and not living on past "glories".

In further breaking news, it has been discovered that the Pacific Ocean contains a large amount of water!
    Maybe it's actually going to be called "The Wall - The Opera!"

Suspended
    Maybe it's actually going to be called "The Wall - The Opera!"
    Ah, I see. In the manner of "Oklahoma!".

Next up after that: Tales from Topographic Oceans on Broadway!
    I think it would be more appropriate on a cruise liner. Maybe a Disney cruise?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hip-hop. To appeal to the younger generation of fans.

Roger had a few good years there as a member of Pink Floyd. Since then, he's been drifting. Coasting on his laurels. Trying to reinvigorate a 37-year old work instead of creating anything new. Pink Floyd is over. It's time to move on, Roger.
    I really liked his re-working of The Wall for the extended tour a couple of years back. I loved the original as a college kid, but eventually realized I couldn't take the self-obsession anymore at some point and other than a couple amazing songs was done with it. But, the live version felt like an almost completely new piece of art and I really liked it, right down to the focus feeling less like a rich, whiny rock icon.

That said, yeah, it is definitely time to move on to something else. I don't think he's coasting on his laurels so much as he keeps thinking it isn't done and needs just one more re-working. But, enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If only there was a "Cruise To The Edge"....

Based on the 2nd video in my op, I see Roger spending several years to come promoting this opera worldwide.

!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The cample wasn't bad ,up till they started singing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tales from Topo Gigio Oceans

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I really liked his re-working of The Wall for the extended tour a couple of years back. I loved the original as a college kid, but eventually realized I couldn't take the self-obsession anymore at some point and other than a couple amazing songs was done with it. But, the live version felt like an almost completely new piece of art and I really liked it, right down to the focus feeling less like a rich, whiny rock icon.

That said, yeah, it is definitely time to move on to something else. I don't think he's coasting on his laurels so much as he keeps thinking it isn't done and needs just one more re-working. But, enough.
    You're right - he should do Radio KAOS on Broadway!

Actually, someone could probably do a decent Broadway review of Waters' material from different solo albums and a few songs from Final Cut and The Wall. But it would have to be a bit maudlin. But the bombast and pathos would probably translate well to the molasses pit that Broadway has largely become.

it ain't over until the fat lady sings......

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    it ain't over until the fat lady sings......
    And the wall finally crushes her.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by HeadingSouth View Post
    I must say....

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Moo!
    .... That Roger is overdoing it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

http://www.operademontreal.com/fr
    Tickets (Billets) are selling very briskly based on what little French I know. Prices range from ~$45-112US. I think. (57.75-147.24CA.)

There's no stopping The Wall!

Hey Roger, here's some advice from the title of one of the songs from The Wall...

STOP
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

It's finally reached the point where the fans are spitting on Roger.