Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - "The Wall" - The Opera!

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Hey Roger, here's some advice from the title of one of the songs from The Wall...

STOP
    #10 -
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Whatever makes the old man happy and alive!
    I don't really care: I honestly never been a huge fan of The Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Hey Roger, here's some advice from the title of one of the songs from The Wall...

STOP
    Yeah, he's in danger oflosing my respect

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's finally reached the point where the fans are spitting on Roger.
    lmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Jesus, does this guy ever quit?

How about some new music....or, at least, something that isn't relentlessly all about him, as the recent concert/film was. There were few frames in which a roger didn't appear....even when someone else was soloing/singing.....

Sheesh....

Well remember, when he quit Pink Floyd he thought the band would die.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well remember, when he quit Pink Floyd he thought the band would die.
    True, but if there ever were a megalomaniac in Prog, it would have to be him. Even when someone else is singing he's stomping around the stage, arms pumping, mouthing the lyrics....and if it's not where everyone's eyes go, it's certainly where the camera does.

"Look at me! Look at ME!! LIOK AT ME!!!!"

I repeat: sheesh. I mean, it was an ambitious spectacle, but if he'd only been a little more generous to those in his band it wouldn't have been so.....

All joking aside, I'm willing to wait to hear what the intended audience thinks about this instead of a what bunch of snobbish prog fans have to say.

Is he milking it? Perhaps. But, if he opens this up to an entirely new audience, more power to him.

If he was so bent on milking "The Wall," why did it take him decades to release a live PF concert of it?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Release more official 70's PF concerts. Milk THAT!

I like "The Wall" well enough, but it's too musically, thematically and lyrically thin to be a convincing opera. That "version" of "Another Brick in the Wall" proves it to me. They add a lot of musical folderol to make it look deeper than it really is.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Jesus, does this guy ever quit?

How about some new music....or, at least, something that isn't relentlessly all about him, as the recent concert/film was. There were few frames in which a roger didn't appear....even when someone else was soloing/singing.....

Sheesh....
    well, a few months ago, there was news that he would have a new album out in 17
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Say what you will but Amused to Death and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking stand out compared to any Gilmour solo releases.
    The last PF album clearly needed Waters input, the last track with vocals was the worst one.
    I am happy they did release another album tho' I will consume anything released by them.

The Wall, I too think it's the one that could possibly be made into a great dramatic opera piece.

Gilmour's guitar is probably the most memorable experience within PF, this too, never was a major fan Clapton till I heard this album and specifically this track... awww most beautiful guitar tunes...
    Roger Waters - 5:06AM (Every Strangers Eyes)

I'll just keep on posting here by myself.
    Amused to death, this album too had Jeff Beck playing the most memorable sensitive tunes, like no one to date.
    Here is Waters talking about Jeff Beck, who played all guitars on his album, Amused to Death.

It's hard and almost impossible for any guitarist to beat Jeff Beck's (I feel every note)

or

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    I'll just keep on posting here by myself.
    Amused to death, this album too had Jeff Beck playing the most memorable sensitive tunes, like no one to date.
    Here is Waters talking about Jeff Beck, who played all guitars on his album, Amused to Death.
    Wasn't a Jeff Beck fan before Amused to Death, not because I didn't like him but because I didn't know his work. His guitar on RW's album is incredible. I went and bought a bunch of his albums, some of them are of my all time favorites. On another post you said that you can feel every note, that pretty much sums it up. I wish he recorded more.
    Last edited by Tangram; 03-13-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    well, a few months ago, there was news that he would have a new album out in 17
    I think the 17 was for January 17th. No year included! It will be on autobuy, and it has been for decades but I'll believe it when I hear it.

Sonia, one of my best concerts was Roger Waters on his Pros and Cons tour, at Radio City Music Hall. Alas, it wasn't with Clapton, I think it was Andy Fairweather Low? Anyway, a great show! Very mellow, and in a beautiful, comfortable venue.

I also saw his Radio KAOS, Amused to Death (I think!) and In the Flesh tours. And The Wall a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Say what you will but Amused to Death and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking stand out compared to any Gilmour solo releases.
    The last PF album clearly needed Waters input, the last track with vocals was the worst one.
    I am happy they did release another album tho' I will consume anything released by them.
    In your opinion. Amused to death is good, but goes on too long and lacks variety. Pros and Cons is dull. Personally, I prefer Gilmour solo and the Gilmour-Led Floyd over anything Roger did solo.

Endless River didn't need Waters' input.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    In your opinion. Amused to death is good, but goes on too long and lacks variety. Pros and Cons is dull. Personally, I prefer Gilmour solo and the Gilmour-Led Floyd over anything Roger did solo.

Endless River didn't need Waters' input.
    Yeah, I have to agree that Roger without Gilmour is frequently missing something. I can say some Roger songs surpass Gilmours output, but I haven't found anything Roger has done to be strong start to finish - perhaps that is why he has spent so much time revisiting DSOTM and The Wall in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If he was so bent on milking "The Wall," why did it take him decades to release a live PF concert of it?
    That's easy. He didn't want to have to give any royalties to his ex-bandmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree that Roger without Gilmour is frequently missing something. I can say some Roger songs surpass Gilmours output, but I haven't found anything Roger has done to be strong start to finish - perhaps that is why he has spent so much time revisiting DSOTM and The Wall in the last decade.
    Personally, I fond both are missing each other...

Waters might miss someone (Gilmour) to refine melodies in his compositions and someone (Wright) to arrange the whole thing

And Gilmour certainly needs someone (Waters) to write and co-write his songs.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    All joking aside, I'm willing to wait to hear what the intended audience thinks about this instead of a what bunch of snobbish prog fans have to say.

Is he milking it? Perhaps. But, if he opens this up to an entirely new audience, more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That's easy. He didn't want to have to give any royalties to his ex-bandmates.
    Also it took a long time to reach an amicable sponsorship agreement with the Miller Brewing Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Personally, I fond both are missing each other...

Waters might miss someone (Gilmour) to refine melodies in his compositions and someone (Wright) to arrange the whole thing

And Gilmour certainly needs someone (Waters) to write and co-write his songs.
    I agree. Probably should have put that in there. They definitely are better as a whole, but I find that there are Waters fans who think he was the whole and that his solo material is on par (or almost on par) with Floyd material. I don't see that from Gilmour fans so much.

The Wall was pretty weak in terms of memorable hooks and melodies, not to mention that even then Waters had a range of about six notes. I can see making a decent story of it but you'd have to come up with entirely different vocal parts for most of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart