Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How have your musical tastes changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I also went through an opera phase... Mostly the classics. (madame butterfly, etc). Some of it is very good to listen to and it has many soaring and brilliant high spots. Some of it is just awful. It really is a genre not to be ignored completely... But the classics are classic for good reason I found. I think they are the best place to start.
    Well, I always had problems with the size of opera; for me, I always preferred classical music in smaller ensembles...string quartets, chamber ensembles, etc., My wife has also taught me an appreciation for counter tenors that I never before had.

Great that I can still find my way into new music at 60...and that there's still so much more to explore!

[And I still listen to the radio]

I do too but it's mostly either classical, jazz, college radio or talk programs. I can't imagine many prog fans still listening to the same old boring crap you would typically hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

I do too but it's mostly either classical, jazz, college radio or talk programs. I can't imagine many prog fans still listening to the same old boring crap you would typically hear.
    Yes.... Like Dreamweaver, or lay down sally, or feel like makin luuuuuuv. I just cant anymore. Need new music even if it was composed in 1658.
    Still alive and well...

I like radio because it takes the "choice" out of what to play, and the (admittedly degraded) thrill of not knowing what's next. As for those oldies, that's the only time I listen to them, but yeah, I switch stations a lot!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Haven't changed that much. I had to listen to a country station and it sounded to me that they were using old 70's rock riffs. They just slowed it down or added that "Twang" to it. The lyrics were as simple as you can get but that is country music.
    I heard on an NPR show that country is HUGE in Africa and they said that it was because the people like to hear a story in a song. I guess Yes doesn't tour to much in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Haven't changed that much. I had to listen to a country station and it sounded to me that they were using old 70's rock riffs. They just slowed it down or added that "Twang" to it. The lyrics were as simple as you can get but that is country music.
    I heard on an NPR show that country is HUGE in Africa and they said that it was because the people like to hear a story in a song. I guess Yes doesn't tour to much in Africa.

i'll believe that when Dolly tours with black africa's biggest cocks

ok, bad jokes aside, I kind of doubt that country music is huge, big or even small in Tropical Africa
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

ok, bad jokes aside, I kind of doubt that country music is huge, big or even small in Tropical Africa
    LOL... helloooooo dolly.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, they said that Dolly is HUGE in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Some guy named Don Williams sells out gigantic stadiums in, I think it was again, Zimbabwe.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They'll certainly change when you are dead.
    LOL (sort of). I think long, minimalist drones will be in order.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL (sort of). I think long, minimalist drones will be in order.
    Well that would be the same as now
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My tastes hasn't changed that much. I just found out that there are a lot of good genres to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You'll be discovering them fresh daily so maybe eventually, you WILL like them!
    "OMG, DSOTM is awesome!"

"OMG, DSOTM is awesome!"

"OMG, DSOTM is awesome!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well that would be the same as now
    You'll just have to adjust to the lack of fine ales.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Actually, I have the luck that my CR station is still the best radio all-around and that it's sister radio is THE news radio in the land...

Yeah, I happen to stich to Radio Campus (ULB) , partly because they're different, ... and because they're across the park from where I live.... But often, they're also quite boring ... and across town, you can't catch their airwaves either.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I like radio because it takes the "choice" out of what to play, and the (admittedly degraded) thrill of not knowing what's next. As for those oldies, that's the only time I listen to them, but yeah, I switch stations a lot!
    Well there is some truth to it, but if their choice don't fit me, I'll zap away
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have spent most of my life a Yes fanatic but in my early thirties I got heavily into classical. Sibelius is my favorite composer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yes.... Like Dreamweaver, or lay down sally, or feel like makin luuuuuuv. I just cant anymore. Need new music even if it was composed in 1658.
    Yeah, whip out that Monteverdi cd.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I prefer much more instrumental music as my tolerance for insipid lyrics has declined as I've aged.
    Just be careful with now spreading Paul Morley's disease

Since before I can remember, my ears were blasted with music from my mother's era ie. Eagles, Queen, Scorpion, Bee Gees, Carpenters, Air Supply, ABBA etc. I wouldn't have changed anything even if I can go back in time, those were the days. But as time progress I was introduced to Dream Theater and my musical taste got changed again, into wanting something 'more' than conventional, something that pushes the limit. Then I got bored with Dream Theater's Firework-spectacle show-off galore and wanting something more nuanced and emotional. That was when I first listened to Anesthesize by Porcupine Tree, and oh boy I've hit the jackpot. Steven Wilson is my, and of course many of yours, favourite songwriter. But of course I have to prepare myself for another departure pretty soon as there's a limit to what I would love listen to in the Prog world. I've been trying out some folk stuff lately and they are a good fix during this time. Something like The Rube's (a Thai band I've been listening tohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQbO1bDRTPA) I'm Sorry song really intrigue me to the point where I want to check other folk-prog-rock songs from around the world. Thats my current stop, feel free to give me directions, I'm still, by all sense of the word, finding my way.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ocre View Post
    I've been trying out some folk stuff lately and they are a good fix during this time. Something like The Rube's (a Thai band I've been listening tohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQbO1bDRTPA) I'm Sorry song really intrigue me to the point where I want to check other folk-prog-rock songs from around the world. Thats my current stop, feel free to give me directions, I'm still, by all sense of the word, finding my way.
    Have you tried the Strawbs?

From hard rock/metal to singers-songwriters to D&B to Techno In a short way...

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I prefer much more instrumental music as my tolerance for insipid lyrics has declined as I've aged.
    My thoughts exactly, I have little tolerance for rambling, wordy lyrics in my older, wiser years....

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    As I get older, there is much more music I hate.
    LOL! Yes indeedy-dee!

There is a college radio station WTMD (no commercials) that plays mostly local and indie music and some of it is pretty good.

I am also gaining more appreciation for ambient music. So soothing and relaxing.

Not only has my style preference changed, my tastes have grown more sophisticated. Pieces which used to sound slightly exotic to me, like Stravinsky's Firebird or Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra, now sound as tame as anything by Beethoven or Brahms. Atonal Classical and RIO Prog used to sound wild to me, now they sound only slightly exotic.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-21-2016 at 02:04 PM.