Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracks of 'your' years?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    you could not go an hour without hearing a Beatle song on the radio
    It was either the summer of 1965 or 1966 that The Beatles had 3 top ten hits in America at the same time! I don't recall anybody doing that before or since!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    It was either the summer of 1965 or 1966 that The Beatles had 3 top ten hits in America at the same time! I don't recall anybody doing that before or since!
    Yes... Hit after hit after hit... Year after year. Wasn't a bad thing, but it was quite a lot... Could be the reason I am pretty much uninterested in Paul and Ringos stuff now.

Dont let me derail the thread... ill shut up now.
    Still alive and well...

OKay, I'll try

Roger Clover - Love is all My first musical memory. I was 6 or 7 and I always wanted to stay up because I had to see that 'song with the frog' on the Dutch Top of the Pops. Bought the CD only when i was an adult and still like it.
    Queen- Killer Queen Queen greatest hits was the first album I ever bought
    Fisher Z- Marliese One of the first concerts I had ever visited. Still like it a lot.
    Marillion- Script for a jesters tear Marillion was the first prog band I ever listened too and became a big fan of. Much less a fan now but I still have a soft spot for the debut.
    Peter Hammill- Stranger still Became a huge fan and still am today. Saw the man play live over 50 times. The lyrics of this song still give me goosebumps everytime
    Cardiacs- The everso closely guarded line My favorite band and it is hard to pick just one song. This is just such an amazing multi-layered composition that will never bore me.
    Debussy- Nocturnes Because it is there for eternity.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    At one point i1977 I think) there were FIVE songs in our top 10 that were either sung or written by The Bee Gees.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've been sitting thinking about this and it isn't at all easy.
    Yes... I'm also not sure I really understand the deeper quest...
    Is it just songs that became the background soundtrack of your youth?
    Or tracks (abums) that really affected your and your life's outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree. For one thing for me it's more about albums.

There are some songs I remember from my childhood that stand out but I'm not sure how important they are to me over all.

As for that clip the only thing I could think about was whether Ozzy boinked that reporter in the trailer.
    Yes, It's often more about albums in my case, so I'll mix both albums and single songs that did play a (major) role in my life - so it's in a +/- chronological order.

1. Bourée / Stand Up >>came across this when I was six... It MUST've played a major role... Psychologist would probably agree too.
    1a. Age of Aquarius And Let The Sunshine In >> Hair soundtrack (given to my father, but I was the only one who played it) >> I guess this made me a hippie at 8.
    2. Crime Of The Century... not just because it was my first album bought (at 11), but I certainly agreed about the alienation of a youth and I thought every song was about me. Not sure this was a commendable album to dig so young, though.
    3. TAAB, DSOTM, ITLOG&P, ITCOTCK, etc... for obvious reasons, but none affected my life as COTC did.
    4. Spirits In The Night >> the MMEB cover. This described my week-end nights
    5. Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell. This one drove my back in the thick of the pack in highschool, even if I thought every song was agaijn written specifically for mle
    6- London Calling... Toronto's drowning. And I live by the lake (Ontario) >> I really did too. In my 17 years there, I only lived two of them further than 2 kms away, but ometimes it was just across the street (Lakeshore Road). Yup, my punk era, where I thought I didn't have a future.
    7- Funeral For A Friend >> played at my buddy's funeral after he wrapped his Mini Cooper around a concrete telephone poll
    8- Treat - Santana (debut album) >> played live at another buddy's funeral (OD this time). This lasted some 20 minutes and had us in tears, and his father fuming and scandalized ... we had to explain him that he didn't know his son's out of the house life and that "song" fitted him perfectly
    9- Caravanserai (I think I explained this a few tmes before on PE)
    10- Ragged Glory/Nevermind/Blood Sex Sugar Magik >> that year drove me back in the rock world >> bnever really left again since.
    10a- In the same frame of mind as 10, but prog: Hybris, Vemod and Ryktigt Aktat

OK, to please Peter, I'll stop at 10 (though there is a 1a)

(I won't make it a habit, though)
    Last edited by Trane; 03-12-2016 at 02:48 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    At one point i1977 I think) there were FIVE songs in our top 10 that were either sung or written by The Bee Gees.
    Australia sure loved those boys. America too.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    You had the Shattering Sounds songbook in standard notation?!?
    Thank god my guitar teacher taught me to read music, for this was the pre tab days.
    Yes. Standard notation....I am very proud of myself, During my sophmore year summer, I taught myself to read music. I was DETERMINED to not be a weak musician.

sadly, I lent that songbook to a student and never saw it again. I do however still have my YES: Fragile/TYA songbook and my Deep Purple: Machine Head songbook (both obviously transcribed by a piano player. (horribly wrong in many places)

Hi trane... You asked,
    Yes... I'm also not sure I really understand the deeper quest...
    Is it just songs that became the background soundtrack of your youth?
    Or tracks (abums) that really affected your and your life's outlook?

I understood it to be songs that were guideposts and landmarks as your life progressed from childhood to now. Songs that made an impact on your life and listening habits. The first song on my list was something my dad liked and of course being a kid, I liked what dad liked... And so on.
    Still alive and well...

Wow. This is pretty tough.
    James Brown - Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - This song taught me the importance of rhythm and was probably the first Funk hit single. Way ahead of its time.

The Beatles (Paul) - Yesterday - I have a very vivid memory of hearing this over the classroom P.A. speaker on my first day of school. It clearly established a love for melody and mellow love songs.

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love - My older brothers used to play this full blast and lay between the speakers. LZ II was the first Rock album I ever purchased. At this point, I wanted to become a electric guitarist.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Hoedown - I'm not picking this because of Keith Emerson's death. I have another vivid memory of my older brother receiving the Trilogy album on his 16th birthday. He immediately played this track and imitated Keith playing two separated keyboards. I loved the energy of this track. It hooked me into listening to Progressive Rock.

Yes - Close To The Edge - It might be unfair not to list Roundabout as it was the track on the commercial for Yessongs that influenced me to go out and plop down 18 bucks for a copy of Yessongs. It was this track that really drew me into what I consider more adventurous music than even ELP. The "I Get Up, I Get Down" section was like a musical revelation to me.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - This album was the biggest surprise ever. I had actually heard "Money" on the radio, but wasn't impressed enough to want to buy the album. Then I heard part of Breathe/On The Run on WRAS and knew I had to get this album. The problem was finding it. It was in my local Treasure Island (JC Penney's answer to Richway back in the day), but I had to ask an employee if they had it because I didn't realize that it was the black album cover with the prism. This was the first album I took home and listened to from beginning to end. As a result, my record collection started growing exponentially.

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son (Leftoverture) - This album was a Christmas present from my stepmother's sister. The second album I listened to all the way through on first listen. I was amazed at how Classical Rock could really rock hard and be this aggressive. This album is a master work. The story of Kerry's writing at this time is truly amazing.

Phil Keaggy - Time - From his second album, Love Broke Thru. I was finally able to hear some good rockin' music that encouraged my new (then) Christian faith. This track features some awesome guitar and a incredible jam with Richard Souther.

George Winston - Moon - This track was on the first Windham Hill sampler. It led me to appreciate acoustic New Age music. My first date with my wife (of 28 years now) was to a George Winston concert.
    George's work shows how solo piano can be both hypnotic/mesmirizing and extraordinarily beautiful as well.

Ennio Morricone - The Mission - this is a live track that someone posted here a few years back. It is from a concert in Germany. It is one of the few tracks that consistently brings me to tears of joy.
    If I were to list the one performance that best represents a single instrument, it would be the oboist here. One of the comments on YouTube is "Dammit, who's chopping onions?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post

I understood it to be songs that were guideposts and landmarks as your life progressed from childhood to now. Songs that made an impact on your life and listening habits. The first song on my list was something my dad liked and of course being a kid, I liked what dad liked... And so on.
    So I answered OK then.

Though, come to think of it, I probably could've added a Jacques Brel song or two.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son (Leftoverture) - This album was a Christmas present from my stepmother's sister. The second album I listened to all the way through on first listen. I was amazed at how Classical Rock could really rock hard and be this aggressive. This album is a master work. The story of Kerry's writing at this time is truly amazing.

Phil Keaggy - Time - From his second album, Love Broke Thru. I was finally able to hear some good rockin' music that encouraged my new (then) Christian faith. This track features some awesome guitar and a incredible jam with Richard Souther.
    I should've included these to in my list as well. I was aware of Kansas in the 70s but at the time they seemed kind of generic (Boston, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, etc.) and I wasn't really listening to rock in 1976. When I became a "born again" Christian a friend played me Vinyl Confessions and I just loved it (and still do). From there I discovered Phil Keaggy who's probably my favorite Christian artist ever. So for a good twenty years I was listening (almost exclusively) to CCM. I didn't get into Kansas again until around 1997-98 around there, and that's when I started getting into prog. Kansas was my gateway to prog and CCM.

Off the top of my head, songs that have had some kind of special significance over time:

Onward - Yes
    All Things Must Pass - George
    We'll Be Right Back - Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins
    If Only You Knew - Yes
    Peace of Mind - Neil Young
    Village of the Sun - FZ
    Unknown Soldier - Weather Report

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Ennio Morricone - The Mission - this is a live track that someone posted here a few years back. It is from a concert in Germany. It is one of the few tracks that consistently brings me to tears of joy.
    If I were to list the one performance that best represents a single instrument, it would be the oboist here. One of the comments on YouTube is "Dammit, who's chopping onions?"
    This I why I love this site. I never heard it before and this piece is fantastic. Thanks!

For my list:

The Beatles - Help! coming from a large family, this was played constantly. As a little kid, they took me to see my first movie, Help!

Pink Floyd - Money. The inter play between Gilmour and Wright was new to me and is still stunning. Listening to it on my brothers quad receiver was really the first time I noticed instrument placement. DSOTM was a revelation and I was hooked for life.

Elton John - Crocodile Rock. This is my introduction to EJ. I remember it being played over and over at my brothers party. Not by far my fav EJ song but it got me interested enough to go through the EJ records in the house. Huge fan and it starts there.

Elton John - Funeral For A Friend. Great song with a better story. My brother played it in the car after my Aunt's funeral and my sister popped the 8 track out of the car stereo and thru it out the window! Always gets told around the campfire.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse. I was reading a Genesis article and it went something like a fan came up to Steve Hackett and was talking about his favorite guitarist. SH thought the fan would say John McLaughlin but said it was him. I think I messed up the story, but I was looking for a band with an orchestra and although I lucked out in that the album does feature an orchestra, it was my introduction to Fusion. I picked this Apocalypse because it also had Jean Luc Ponty, who I first heard on EJ's Honky Chateau.

Genesis - Follow You Follow Me. Yeah I know, flame retardant suit on. I really like this song, there I said it. It was good enough that I bought the album and the rest of it is not like FYFM. Love this album, went backwards (fav ATTOT) then forwards. All phase Genesis fan.

Tangerine Dream - Thief soundtrack. I asked a friend for an instrumental album like Floyd but without the lyrics. This was during the The Wall and I'm a huge PF fan, at times I just want to hear them play. This was his recommendation and it opened up a whole new world to me. I have spend countless hours listening to them.

Kitaro - Cloud. VH1's New Visions program played Cloud and I was hooked. Beautiful music and he can at times rock too.

Elton John - Weight of the World. This song and the rest of Peachtree Road got me thru a tough time.

And of course Bugs Bunny who introduced me to classical music as a little kid!

Okay, well in order of time period of my life:

Les Baxter - Quiet Village: When I was a little kid, maybe 6 years old my parents would play this album as I lay in bed. Loved it ever since.
    Beach Boys - God Only Knows: Blew my socks off when I was about 11.
    Pink Floyd - One of These Days: First time I heard this, I remember saying over and over, 'I can't believe music can sound like this!' Then I grew to love the whole album.
    King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man: Ditto to the above
    ELP - Battlefield: Heard this as the sun was coming up after an all night acid trip when I was maybe 15. Those keyboards...
    Bo Hansson - The Battle of Pelennor Fields: introduced introspection in music to me, where I could turn inwards with music and just wallow...
    Genesis - Cinema Show - Genesis, and esp this song helped me to love the outdoors, beauty in music, and to relate the two
    Ant Phillips - The Geese & The Ghost parts 1 & 2: As the world grew away from what I sought, and felt I needed, this one went my way. Meant a lot to me.
    National Health - Tenemos Roads: Made me go back and revisit Dave Stewart's 'Hatfield' compositions as well and realize just what an amazing genius he is
    Tony Banks - City of Gold: Rekindled in me the spark I used to crave for a new Genesis album, that now continues with orchestral Tony Banks

Almost mentioned Mr. Sirius, which though I may prefer to much of the above these days, it may not have been as pivotal

You Set The Scene - Love
    Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    Desiree - The Charts
    Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan
    The Fool - Quicksilver Messenger Service
    I Ain't Marching Anymore - Phil Ochs
    Buy & Sell - Laura Nyro
    If That's The Way You Feel - Nazz
    The Other Half Of The Sky - Moon Safari
    In My Room - Beach Boys

Tonight.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Geez Geeze - I can't believe I left out WGFA. That's definitely a top tenner for me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Fool - Quicksilver Messenger Service.

That would've been the case had I heard that in my early years of musical endeavours

But I firt hear this circa 77; I think.

I'll take a stab at it:

I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles: First heard them playing it on the Ed Sullivan Show and it literally changed my life! I was a little science geek and wanted to grow up to be a brain surgeon or a paleontologist or an astronomer or something. When I heard them, all I wanted to do was play guitar in a band... and I've been doing that ever since; went professional when I got old enough to fend for myself.

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix: I heard it on the radio and bought "Are You Experienced?" shortly thereafter. I didn't just want to play in a band anymore; I wanted to become a good guitar player. I still do.

Oye Como Va - Santana: Carlos showed me that there's other notes besides the ones in the pentatonic scale and you can play more melodically if you use them. He probably initiated my interest in Latin American music too.

Caravan - Wes Montgomery: I bought a greatest hits album for my mom because she liked Muzak and I was only familiar with his radio hits like , "Going Out of My Head" and "Windy." When I heard Wes' burning solo on "Caravan," I knew there was much more going on with him than I thought; I was astounded and I started to get interested in jazz. That album unofficially became mine. I still won't go more than two months without listening to some Wes.

Seventy Five - Touch: I heard it on "underground" radio and bought their one and only album soon after. It was my first taste of prog (well, proto-prog anyway) and I loved the mix of rock, jazz and classical music. My dad was a professional classical musician and I grew up hearing the music he loved; so being already into rock and then jazz, I was thrilled that people were combining all those elements into a type of music that really resonated with me.

Emergency! - Tony Williams Lifetime: A drummer friend bought it when it came out; he played it for me and it blew my mind, especially John McLaughlin's playing! I'd been dreaming about hearing a merging of jazz and rock guitar and there it was in it's full glory! I wanted to hear everything that guy was involved in... and of course in a couple of years he formed The Mahavishnu Orchestra, which really knocked my socks off!

Agua de Bebe - Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66: Probably my first taste of Brasilian music; which I've loved ever since.

Fantasy - Earth Wind & Fire: I'd heard and dug previous hits of theirs, but there's a nice memory associated with that one. I started seeing this new girl after the demise of my first serious love relationship. I was at her place and she was spinning this record while unflinchingly changing her clothes and getting naked in front of me; I knew at that point that I was going to get laid. Sounds juvenile now, but there you have it!

The Advent of Panurge - Gentle Giant: A buddy's sister (who would become my girlfriend several years later) had seen them open for some much more famous band (don't know who) and liked them enough to buy their latest release, "Octopus." From the first track I knew there was something very special going on! Some folks say it took years to "get" them, but it was love at first listen for me! Of course I was still a teen and my mind was wide open.

Beelzebub - Bruford: I'd heard Allan Holdsworth on Tony Williams Lifetime's "Believe It!" already and was totally knocked out; just couldn't believe anybody could do what he was doing with a guitar! When I heard Bruford's Feels Good to Me while browsing in a record store, I knew it was him (and I was already an instant fanboy), but those compositions and those other players... I had to buy it right there and then. Of course, they topped it with their next album, One of a Kind, but that was my initiation to what remains one of my all time favorite bands.

I could easily list 10 or 20 more, but those are the first 10 to come to mind... today, anyway.

No PRIDE......That is one hell on a list....pretty diverse....cool stuff on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    No PRIDE......That is one hell on a list....pretty diverse....cool stuff on there.
    Thanks!