Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracks of 'your' years?

Tracks of 'your' years?

A weekly BBC Radio programme called 'Tracks of my Years' features guest artists [last week it was Phil Collins's turn] to list 10 songs that where pivotal, influential and meaningful to them and played a significant meaning at certain periods of their life. So this is unlike Desert Island Discs which specifically asks artists to list their favourite music.

Of course they have to be songs that you still love to hear!

So bearing that criteria in mind-
    -Jeepster-T Rex
    -School's Out-Alice Cooper
    -Just my Imagination-The Temptations
    -Can't help myself-Donnie Elbert
    -Take me Bak 'Ome-Slade
    -Roundabout-Yes
    -Move Closer-Phyllis Nelson
    -The Wizard-Uriah Heep
    -Your Ready Now-Frankie Valli
    -Run Baby Run-The Easybeats

BTW, if anyone knows what Phil Collins chose please post!
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-10-2016 at 01:25 PM.

I've been sitting thinking about this and it isn't at all easy.

Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan
    Living Years - Mike + the Mechanics
    30 Years - UK
    Golden Years - David Bowie
    Stones of Years - ELP
    Every Hundred years - Woody Guthrie
    A Thousand Years - Sting
    Living Forever - Genesis

Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 03-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Beats the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Beats the crap out of me.
    You've used that phrase before. What does it even mean?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Let's see. Ten, huh?

1. Don McLean, "American Pie." The song that taught me that lyrics could have layers.
    2. The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again." Still the closest (in my mind) approach to that apex to which all rock aspires.
    3. The Who, "Sparks." Specifically, the version on the Tommy movie (not the bastardized s/t album). Inspired chaos.
    4. Chicago, "Ballad for a Girl in Buchanan." My first lesson in both sheer musical virtuosity (esp. Kath's soloes) and in the idea of many parts combining to create a greater whole, which is at the heart of any real "epic."
    5. King Crimson, "Red." For its purity.
    6. Gentle Giant, "Knots." It was the first really complicated bit of rock music I ever heard.
    7. Talking Heads, "Once in a Lifetime." It was my themesong in the '80s.
    8. Beatles, "Something." Still the greatest love song I know.
    9. Frank Sinatra, "New York, New York." Reminded me that things didn't *have* to be complicated.
    10. Taylor Swift, "Blank Space." The discovery that pop music could still be good.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Suspended
    Hmmm.

Bob Lind - Elusive Butterfly
    Richard Harris - MacArthur Park
    Yes - Your Move
    Elton John - Your Song (he has done better songs, but this was the one that got me hooked)
    Genesis - Supper's Ready (I could have named any of a dozen Genesis songs)
    Pink Floyd - Us and Them
    The Eagles - Tequila Sunrise
    Rita Lee - Mania de Voce (this song basically defined my whole time in Brazil)
    Goanna - Solid Rock
    Porcupine Tree - My Ashes (basically the song that opened my ears to the world of "new progressive")

I tried not to think too hard about this list. I also consciously avoided using an artist more than once.

You will notice a big time gap between the last two. that's because there was hardly anything I was hearing on the radio that blew me away - and radio was definitely the primary source at that time.

First quick stab at this:

Last Train to Clarksville: I discovered the Monkees and my life-long love of music (and the drums....later to be replaced by the GTR...see later entry)
    Sin's a Good Mans Brother: GFRR: I bought Closer to Home on a complete whim at age 12 in 1970. When the heavy fuzz guitar comes in after the acoustic intro, I think I screamed in both fear and delight
    Children of the Grave: Sabbath: I had just started playing the GTR when I happened upon the airing of the California Jam. I had never even HEARD of Sabbath before. When that song came on, I was so blown away that I went out and bought 3 of their albums the next day and began taking the GTR really seriously.
    Knots: GG: A classmate of mine at GIT lent me this album "Convinced" I would LOVE this band...I initially hated it...after several listens I "got it" and that song really woke me up.
    And You and I: YES: Back in the day, this song could bring me to tears and I was convinced that it represented the apex of all things Prog. AND, I began taking the GTR REALLY REALLY seriously then.
    Rhapsody in Blue: Gershwin (piano version) One of the greatest pieces of American 20th century music ever dreamed-up by a human. (See thread on desert island albums)
    Dissolution (The Clouds Disperse): Ozric Tentacles: This album had just come out and my Brother got it, brought it to my house excitingly hurrying to put it on for me to hear. That first echoplex ridden solo of Ed's on this song F-ing blew me away. Gave me hope for the return of Space Rock.
    I want You (She's so Heavy): Beatles: I received this album in '69 after a lengthy hospital stay. during my long home-bound recouperation, I listened to this album over and over...the way the ending section slowly builds and builds like it's winding you up a mountain only to be pushed off the cliff once the music suddenly stops taught me the aspect of tension-building in music.

I'll come back and add my final two later.

Sail Away: Deep Purple - Burn: Blackmore's solo in Harmonic minor, with its middle-Eastern vibe was totally cool. Taught me that there were WAY more ways to construct music with different scales & chords......and speaking of different scales and chords......

Not sure what song it was but on the first needle-drop on a Mahavishnu album that my drummer friend had played for me absolutely altered my DNA right on the spot.

....AND....honorable mention to address a song that represents an important period in your life: Stairway to Heaven...That song: RULED FM radio for my entire High School years, was loved by everyone at the time and just so perfectly fit the attitude of the times. If you weren't there, you wouldn't get it. Once I learned how to play that on my acoustic 12-string, my popularity at teen keg parties went way up (trust me, I needed all the help I could get...lol)
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 03-10-2016 at 02:53 PM.

West Side Story - Bernstein- They used to run the movie once a year over like three nights in the late 60s/early 70s.
    I loved the music so much I bought the album.

Alice Cooper - School's Out - 10 years old, summer of 72, WABC on my AM transistor radio.
    I bought the 45, then the album and then everything else by the original ACB.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - I came home from school one day in 7th grade and my sister was playing this in the downstairs playroom.
    The sound they made stopped me dead in my tracks. This made me buy all their albums, a Gibson SG, a Big Muff fuzz pedal ,and the Black Sabbath Shattering Sounds songbook.

Gentle Giant - Knots Another game changer for me as a musician.I never heard such a complicated piece of music with heavy guitar before.
    The bar was set!

Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4 The first tune from the Spectrum album with a blistering guitar solo by the late Tommy Bolin.
    That solo changed the way I played the guitar.

Frank Zappa I think it was Overnight Sensation that brought me into his world that I never left. The 70s wouldn't be the same without FZ.

more later,
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    First quick stab at this:
    Children of the Grave: Sabbath: I had just started playing the GTR when I happened upon the airing of the California Jam. I had never even HEARD of Sabbath before. When that song came on, I was so blown away that I went out and bought 3 of their albums the next day and began taking the GTR really seriously.

I remember this well!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    West Side Story - Bernstein- They used to run the movie once a year over like three nights in the late 60s/early 70s.
    I loved the music so much I bought the album. I LOVE THIS TOO.

Alice Cooper - School's Out - 10 years old, summer of 72, WABC on my AM transistor radio.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - I came home from school one day in 7th grade and my sister was playing this in the downstairs playroom.
    The sound they made stopped me dead in my tracks. This made me buy all their albums, a Gibson SG, a Big Muff fuzz pedal ,and the Black Sabbath Shattering Sounds songbook.

Gentle Giant - Knots Another game changer for me as a musician.I never heard such a complicated piece of music with heavy guitar before.
    The bar was set!

Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4 The first tune from the Spectrum album with a blistering guitar solo by the late Tommy Bolin.

Frank Zappa I think it was Overnight Sensation that brought me into his world that I never left. The 70s wouldn't be the same without FZ.

more later,

DUDE: Me too.... "This made me buy all their albums, a Gibson SG, a Big Muff fuzz pedal ,and the Black Sabbath Shattering Sounds songbook"

I remember this well!

Holy crap...I just visited a very happy place. Thanks for posting.....I'm glad I took the few minutes out of my stupid mindless workday to re-enjoy that.

These are really also including the entire albums they are on:

Brothers Johnson - Stomp
    Stanley Clarke - School Days
    Front 242 - Headhunter
    Frontline Assembly - Mindphaser
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
    Rush - Tom Sawyer
    REM - Pretty Persuasion
    David Sanborn/ Bob James - Maputo
    Breathe - Hands To Heaven
    The Flys - Got You Where I Want You (my wife and I's special song )

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    BTW, if anyone knows what Phil Collins chose please post!
    A list (and a stream if you can access it) here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03l1zpv

The list is incomplete for some reason, missing Walker Brothers - Sun Ain't Gonna Shone Anymore; The Action - Never Ever; The Animals - It's My Life; OneRepublic - Life In Color.

I'll try.

She Loves You/A Hard Days Night - It all started here for me.
    Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin. This is my soul phase, post Beatles
    Sunshine Of Your Love/Purple Haze/Summertime Blues (Blue Cheer) - My pre-Zep, post-soul phase
    Black Dog - Led
    Poem 58 - Chicago Transit Authority (when Chicago had balls)
    No One To Depend On - Santana. Santana in general was my gateway to latin music

fast forward to the late 90s/early 00s

CTTE (the track)
    For Those About To Rock - AC/DC
    The Thing That Should Not Be - Metallica

I still listen to everything I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've been sitting thinking about this and it isn't at all easy.
    I agree. For one thing for me it's more about albums.

There are some songs I remember from my childhood that stand out but I'm not sure how important they are to me over all.

As for that clip the only thing I could think about was whether Ozzy boinked that reporter in the trailer.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-10-2016 at 07:17 PM.

No explanations here. Just ten songs and make of it what you will. This is, after all, OT, so lists are A-OK:

1. Elton John: “Bennie and the Jets”
    2. Todd Rundgren: “Just One Victory”
    3. Laura Nyro & Labelle: “The Bells”
    4. Yes: “Roundabout”
    5. Egg: “I Will Be Absorbed”
    6. Ilhan Mimaroglu: “Agony”
    7. Faust: “Mamie Is Blue”
    8. Novalis: “Der Geigenspieler”
    9. Freddie Hubbard: “Red Clay”
    10. Lighthouse: “One Fine Morning”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

For me it all started with Duane eddy's

1. Rebel Rouser... My dad played duane eddy a lot, he was about as big a rockabilly cat as you could be then... Carl Perkins, etc. but he loved rebel Rouser so I did too. Early 60s. Childhood.

Then...
    2. Its a turn down day... The Cyrkle
    Innocent early hippie 60s stuff, spanky and our gang, mamaspapas... Stuff like that.

3. Crimson and Clover... Tommy James & the shondells.
    Dipping into psychedelia now. Beatles, stones.

4. Sky Pilot... Animals
    Vietnam era... Johnson, nixon,

5. Jethro Tull Aqualung.... First prog album. Learning about darker sides of life... led me to...

6. King crimson .... ItCotCK. Started smoking weed, cigs.

7. Moody Blues .... ride my seesaw...very powerful song i thought.

8. Deep purple... Lazy, i related to this song then.

9. X... los angeles. (Went into punk rock phase that opened my ears and dont regret a minute of it, lived near Brendan and Rodneys masque in hollywood) rough crowd, could have easily died there. Many strange and cool memories.

Then back into prog and rock... But not abandoning all of the above.

10. Genesis- i know what i like and i like what I know.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-10-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    DUDE: Me too.... "This made me buy all their albums, a Gibson SG, a Big Muff fuzz pedal ,and the Black Sabbath Shattering Sounds songbook"
    You had the Shattering Sounds songbook in standard notation?!?
    Thank god my guitar teacher taught me to read music, for this was the pre tab days.

I loved the music so much I bought the album.

The bar was set!

more later,
    Dixie Dregs - Night Meets Light - This tune had my head spinning for days. Steve Morse called it "electronic chamber music" , but I call it the most beautiful, ethereal instrumental of all time.

Bruford - One of a Kind The whole album's a masterpiece and arguably the finest instrumental prog fusion album from the 70s.
    It also started my quest for all things Holdsworth.

King Crimson - Discipline The whole album and tour! One of the most amazing shows I've ever seen was KC at the Savoy in NYC 1981.When Fripp started playing the melody to The Sheltering Sky, the place went ballistic.

Miles Davis - In a Silent way This is the album that got me into jazz future past & present.

Univers Zero - UZED This is the band that I learned about in the late 90s via the internet . I just love their beautiful, dark and complex approach to composition.

Wow, very difficult to come up with only 10. Let's see...

1. The Beatles-Things We Said Today (timesless lyrics)
    2. Simon & Garfunkel-Scarborough Fair (my first Celtic-English mesmerizing folk song)
    3. Donovan-Sunny Goodge Street (early influential song about smoking dope)
    4. The Yardbirds-Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (mystic psychedelic lyrics with both Jeff Beck and jimmy Page on guitar)
    5. Jimi Hendrix-Third Stone From The Sun (ushering in a new rock era "Uh..and you'll never hear surf music again")
    6. The Beatles-Strawberry Fields Forever (a surreal acid trip)
    7. King Crimson-21st Century Schizoid Man (blew me off the chair in 1969)
    8. Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Lucky Man (Emerson's bombastic moog ending was like nothing heard before)
    9. Genesis-The Return Of The Giant Hogweed (the live 1973 version. It was then and there that I realized how great Phil Collins was on drums.)
    10. King Crimson-Epitaph (IMO the first dark mellotronic gothic prog track)

Really there are many more, but these came to mind first.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I think a Beatles song would probably be in everyones list if we had 11 choices. I omitted them to give room for others, because we all probably know that.
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I think a Beatles song would probably be in everyones list if we had 11 choices. I omitted them to give room for others, because we all probably know that.
    That's a bit presumptuous. In my case I apprecuiate them more now than I did at the time; I liked some of their songs but was not really into them the way I was with the songson my list.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    That's a bit presumptuous. In my case I apprecuiate them more now than I did at the time; I liked some of their songs but was not really into them the way I was with the songson my list.
    Perhaps it is a bit. The Beatles were THE soundtrack for my generation, you could not go an hour without hearing a Beatle song on the radio... Still hear them a lot. I told my wife that I expected to hear the Beatles playing on my deathbed... To tell you the truth, i'm a little tired of hearing them. Yeah they were great and amazing but 80 years of the Beatles should be enough.
    Still alive and well...