Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts On Rainbow:The Joe Lynn Turner Years

The Beethoven 9th (Ode To Joy) thing they did is great on the Finyl Vinyl live album. More upbeat than its version on their Difficult To Cure studio album. You can go to the 34:50 mark at this video to check out this live version:

Banned
    I'm listening to Difficult To Cure now, and I still don't get the Foreigner comparisons. Rainbow has always rocked harder than Foreigner(btw, that's not meant to slight Foreigner since I like them). I only heard echoes in Foreigner in JLT's voice(only slightly). I noticed that Don Airey uses a lot of organ on this CD. I want Maybe Next Time played at my funeral. It's such a beautiful piece of music. Would love to know what keyboards Don used on this CD.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I'm listening to Difficult To Cure now, and I still don't get the Foreigner comparisons. Rainbow has always rocked harder than Foreigner(btw, that's not meant to slight Foreigner since I like them). I only heard echoes in Foreigner in JLT's voice(only slightly). I noticed that Don Airey uses a lot of organ on this CD. I want Maybe Next Time played at my funeral. It's such a beautiful piece of music. Would love to know what keyboards Don used on this CD.
    Well, the video for Since You've Been Gone shows him playing a Yamaha CS-80. I imagine that was probably his main synth, or one of them anyway.

Sabbath - Ozzy
    Purple - Gillan
    Rainbow - Dio

End of list!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sabbath - Ozzy
    Purple - Gillan
    Rainbow - Dio

End of list!
    Are you saying you only listen to those bands with those particular lead singers?

Sabbath - Ozzy
    Purple - Gillan
    Rainbow - Dio

End of list!

Sabbath: Dio
    Rainbow: Turner
    Purple: Coverdale

I always like the Turner era Rainbow stuff quite a bit, though it doesn't come close to the albums with Dio in my opinion. On a somewhat related topic, I just picked up a copy of the Fandango CD that JLT was on just prior to joining Rainbow. Pretty decent stuff, and not far removed from what that version of Rainbow sounded like.

Are you saying you only listen to those bands with those particular lead singers?
    No.

Banned
    No.
    Then, what are you saying?

[QUOTE=sotdude;94445] Fandango CD that JLT was on just prior to joining Rainbow.

Fandango was a pretty great bar band in North Jersey when I was 20 or so and used to play at a bar called Dweets North regularly, I was friends with Mark, the keyboard player (who was asked to leave when a record contract was offered to the band, and he went on to play some great fusion stuff) A couple times I brought my reel to reel to the bar and recorded their sets thru their mixer. They had some great original stuff that never made it to an album, the record company pretty much dictated the content, too bad, what was on the records was inferior. It was while Joey was recording the last Fandango album that Richie heard him singing at the studio and offered him the spot. Then he was all over MTV. Funny story, both Joey's and my wife belonged to a group of woman who called themselved ladies of the 80's and had annual labor day parties (an extension of a party a friend of mine held every year) and it was basically the only time I saw Joey anymore. One year it was the same day as the annual Giants/Jets preseason game and Joey, I and another friend decided to go to the game. I drove and paid parking, and we had nice seats in the lower section. We got tired of waiting for the beer guy so Joey offered to go get us beers since I paid for parking. While he was gone, I was tapped on the shoulder by a man with his son who apologised for interrupting us but could we tell him if that was Joe Lynn Turner? I said yes, feel free to say hi when he comes back. I turned around and my friend Glen tells me "did you see the look on that kids face? He's wondering who we are that Joe's getting us a beer!" Heh, my moment of fame. Joey did chat with the kid a bit, probably made his day.

Then, what are you saying?
    Sabbath - Ozzy
    Purple - Gillan
    Rainbow - Dio

End of list!

Banned
    Sabbath - Ozzy
    Purple - Gillan
    Rainbow - Dio

End of list!
    Still don't get it. How would you like it if I just typed nonsense on one of your threads? Then, I just kept writing the same thing over and over again? How about this:are those the singers most associated with those bands?

It isn't nonsense. Every other fan would know immediately what it means, as anyone does with any favourite or best of list. I can't believe I'm having to explain this. Don't overthink it.

Banned

How do you all think Joe handled this Rainbow classic?

Banned

Check out the intro to this song. I mentioned it before.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Sabbath: Dio
    Rainbow: Turner
    Purple: Coverdale
    Yea, that works for me too.

Banned

Let's get funky. I just played all three JLT Rainbow albums. I can't decide which one I like the best.

Banned
    Bump. I was at Amoeba Music in Hollywood not too long ago and I got Long Live Rock And Roll and Down To Earth by Rainbow. What do people think of these albums? Can't decide which era of Rainbow I like more.

Bump. I was at Amoeba Music in Hollywood not too long ago and I got Long Live Rock And Roll and Down To Earth by Rainbow. What do people think of these albums? Can't decide which era of Rainbow I like more.
    Those are both great recordings. I like just about any era of Rainbow as well, although I'm not too high on the "Stranger In Us All" album.

Banned

I bought Down To Earth because of this song. I heard it on KLOS a few times. Cool keyboard section by Don. That's what drew my to this song. Incidentally, I bought this CD at the Amoeba in Hollywood. My brother and I were there to see Kevin Smith.

I blame Rainbow for turning me into the outcast I am. Bought SBTE, found out the band was much older than I knew, started buying that stuff THEN I found the Deep Purple connection and became a huge DP fan in the '80's. No one I ever knew back then listened to them or, for that matter, most of the other music I listened to. I remember trading my Triumph Thunder 7 t-shirt for a Perfect Strangers shirt and thought the guy was nuts. It wasn't until around '97' that I found a friend who was as big a fan of Rainbow and DP as I was and he was a transplant from Buffalo.

One of the many reasons why I HATE Las Vegas, I would have been more accepted in almost any other city but here it was a no go. Then again, I'm an asshole, so maybe not.

I still love SBTE and the Live Between The Eyes video. They set me on a path that, while being a outcast, led me to different music than the usual '80's crap. I didn't know much more than The Beatles when I got into high school and that album and video were huge influences.

I agree with JIF, I think it was, about Maybe Next Time. That and Child In Time I'll have at my funeral, if there's anyone there to play them.

Anyone ever notice Fool for the Night(IIRC) from Bent out of Shape has a piece originally done by DP, the unreleased Slow Train from the Fireball 25'th anniversary disc?

The Dio years were still better but I'll always have a soft spot for the JLT years. JLT gets slagged a lot but I was impressed with his work with Over The Rainbow. The couple of boots I have had songs from all of the era's and he does a pretty damned good job with them all, at least to my ears. I never realized he was that good, as I never saw the band live until Stranger in us All and the Between the Eyes video only has LLRAR from the Dio years. Wasn't until I found some boots and got a copy of the live in Japan '84' video that I heard him do some older stuff.

Then again, anyone who worked on Slaves and Masters deserves to get slagged as that is truly sonic tripe.