Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Sir George Martin "The 5th Beatle"

RIP Sir George Martin "The 5th Beatle"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-at-90-727807

Goodbye to the pioneer producer in rock. RIP His contributions were massive and we probably wouldn't be talking about prog without all the doors he helped open musically for everyone by expanding rock's palette greatly.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-09-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-at-90-727807

Goodbye to the pioneer producer in rock. RIP Your contributions were massive and we probably wouldn't be talking about prog without all the doors he helped open musically for everyone.
    Oh No. Not to mention the greatness he did on Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck. RIP

Banned
    RIP

Wow... Another we didn't see coming. I just found out not long ago he also worked with the band America.
    Still alive and well...

One of my personal favorites

In recent years I had felt things had gone very quiet, so to be honest I had been expecting this. But it's more dreadful news for this year.

I too have always thought he was the 'real' 5th Beatle in terms of what still matters and will always matter- the music. And then there's all the other artists- from America to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Cilla Black.

I just saw this mentioned on TRF. RIP George.

This one hurts almost as much as all the great musicians we've already lost this year. Talk about an instrumentally important figure in modern music. Can you imagine how things might have worked out for the Beatles (and all of us) had it been just some industry hack who had worked with them instead? Would someone else have let them use their own song for their all-important second single instead of forcing them to record someone else's?

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

RIP, Sir George Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This one hurts almost as much as all the great musicians we've already lost this year. Talk about an instrumentally important figure in modern music. Can you imagine how things might have worked out for the Beatles (and all of us) had it been just some industry hack who had worked with them instead? Would someone else have let them use their own song for their all-important second single instead of forcing them to record someone else's?
    This is key; in fact he let them use their own songs right from the off, with their very first single. He went through the motions of giving them 'How Do They Do It' and I suspect was secretly impressed by their less-than-thrilled attitude to the song (audible on the version they did record!).

His ways of thinking outside the box opened rock music up to experimentation in ways nobody had prior. Not even close! Would there be "prog" had he not pushed The Beatles to "break the rules" of rock and expand it's palette? Maybe, but who knows. It's rare you can point to one person and know they were the catalyst for change in a whole genre... But it's easy with George. His work with many other artists (Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu Orchestra are a few that come to mind immediately) brought out the best in them as well. RIP to a pioneer among pioneers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    His ways of thinking outside the box opened rock music up to experimentation in ways nobody had prior. Not even close! Would there be "prog" had he not pushed The Beatles to "break the rules" of rock and expand it's palette? Maybe, but who knows.
    If there were no Beatles, I'm sure he would have performed his magic working with another artist or group.

hat doffed. head bowed.

RIP George, peerless producer.

A life lived to the fullest. Thank you George for all the great music!!!! Condolences to his family.

RIP. Watched a DVD documentary about him & his career just a few months ago.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Oh No, so so much can be said of Sir George. To me his presence can always be felt and heard while listening to The Beatles music, and the synchronicity between the lads and Martin resulted in a pop music explosion of immense proportions, like the big bang, but in musical terms. Thank you Sir George Martin, for without you, God only knows how music would have evolved? Even prog loved him...Van Der Graaf Generator - Theme One. I'm saddened by your loss, but so grateful that I was alive when The Beatles, with your help, invaded the world and changed the way I looked at and heard music. R.I.P. great Sir.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

He had a good life and did good things.

Goodbye.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    If there were no Beatles, I'm sure he would have performed his magic working with another artist or group.
    There's an interesting idea. If EMI hadn't signed the Beatles, who would have benefited from his sprinkling of fairy dust? And how would the Beatles have turned out if Decca hadn't dropped the ball?

'If you look around you, you will see a few minds being blown' - Jimi Hendrix

Well, not that it makes it better, but Him (capital H) , I expected to pass away any month now (he's substantially older than a lot of our heroes)

RIP, Sir !!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

RIP Sir George.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There's an interesting idea. If EMI hadn't signed the Beatles, who would have benefited from his sprinkling of fairy dust? And how would the Beatles have turned out if Decca hadn't dropped the ball?
    The initial ideas for most of the sonic experiments came from The Beatles, but Martin provided the technical know how and classical training to bring it into sonic reality. I think it was really amazing luck that they found each other because IMHO neither The Beatles nor Martin would have scaled the heights they did without the other.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

RIP
    Whithout him Revolver, Mystical Tour, Pepper a.o. wouldnt have been nearly so interesting!