Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Lowest Point in Contemporary Popular Music

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    State sanctioned prohibitions aside, you have to wonder what classical music audiences must have thought of the innovations of any given great innovator. In particular, one wonders about post WWII composers like Cage, Stockhausen or Penderecki. How did audiences react when they first heard Kontakte or Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima? What about the Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano, or Conlon Nancarrow's player piano pieces?
    Stravinski's 'Rite of Spring' is a famous example, on its debut fights broke out in the audience between opposing factions.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    you have to wonder what classical music audiences must have thought of the innovations of any given great innovator.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you're going to go with the Hoff you have to show his masterwork

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How about the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," movie with the BeeGees and Peter "what-the-fuck-was-I-thinking" Frampton?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How about the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," movie with the BeeGees and Peter "what-the-fuck-was-I-thinking" Frampton?
    What about Frampton's tribute to gay love, "I'm In You, You're In me"?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    What about Frampton's tribute to gay love, "I'm In You, You're In me"?
    Goes well with Big Chairs "Reacharound".
    Still alive and well...

If "contemporary" includes the 1950s, I'd add all those lily white boys, like Pat Boone, who copped all those great rock and roll songs by black artists and sanitized them for their lily white audiences: