Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't Roger Dean sue "Galaxy Quest"?

Why didn't Roger Dean sue "Galaxy Quest"?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/33-secrets-yo...-of-1759220814

22. Roger Dean’s album cover for Yessongs influenced the design of the Thermian station:

Maybe it made him laugh.

Unlike Avatar which probably inspired tears.

So, what's your history with Roger Dean, A Scherze? I presume there is something personal behind the obsession?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The depiction of portions of a sphere is copyright (C) Roger Dean.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    By Grabthar's Hammer, I don't know, don't care, but this is cool: There's been talk of both a sequel and an Amazon Video spinoff series.

Because the whole look of Galaxy Quest was not a Dean ripoff like Avatar. Cameron is a dick.

I enjoyed Avatar.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought Avatar was enjoyable enough. Galaxy Quest was great.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Because he's too busy suing China.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

...or Meteora monastery in Greece.

if someone gave me a tip of the hat in their film (and a great film too) - why would I get all pissy about it? silly. art is one series of copied ideas after another... so what.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    if someone gave me a tip of the hat in their film (and a great film too) - why would I get all pissy about it? silly. art is one series of copied ideas after another... so what.
    Until there's big money involved
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    So, what's your history with Roger Dean, A Scherze? I presume there is something personal behind the obsession?
    Actually, I really like Dean's artwork. I have two of his books (Views and Magnetic Storm) and the one with the album covers.

It just amuses me when someone creates something based on prior art and then thinks anything remotely similar is ripping them off.

This is interesting because it actually WAS based on his art, but it seems that he didn't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    a Dean ripoff like Avatar.
    This is why I do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Until there's big money involved
    Or better... you cant sue someone for a partial shape created from a planet or moon and think you're going to win. Big money or not - if he did try to sue. He'd lose.

source

On Thursday, Jim Gianopulos, 20th Century Fox chairman-CEO revealed that he is hopeful that "Avatar 2" will be released in the Christmas holidays of 2017 with the other two sequels trailing behind a year apart, Variety reported.

Gianopulos disclosed that he paid James Cameron a visit in New Zealand two months ago. He also shared the things he saw in his office.

"It's a room...which is covered floor to ceiling with images, characters, worlds, settings," Gianakopulos said. "It's the most amazing, breathtaking thing you've ever seen. His challenge is to put all of that in a movie."

It's interesting how Cameron admitted in an interview that he probably got ideas from looking at Yes record cover,
    he's made hundreds of millions of dollars, and he can't give Dean any credit or money. And.....I think he's hailed
    as one of the more "spiritual" cultural figures of his time? I guess spiritual now means "dreaming about far away
    planets."

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

And Croatia.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    It's interesting how Cameron admitted in an interview that he probably got ideas from looking at Yes record cover,
    he's made hundreds of millions of dollars, and he can't give Dean any credit or money. And.....I think he's hailed
    as one of the more "spiritual" cultural figures of his time? I guess spiritual now means "dreaming about far away
    planets."
    I still say the best movie he ever had anything to do with was Piranha II: The Spawning. And even then, he got fired by the producer after the first couple weeks.

Actually, you know what? I take that back. Galaxy Of Terror was pretty damn good too. And it was apparently Cameron's work on this picture that got him the job working on Piranha II: The Spawning. And how can you top a movie where a woman is raped to death by a giant maggot?!

Come to think of it, he did some of the special effects work on Battle Beyond The Stars, which is still my choice for best American version of Seven Samurai (of course, I'd never be silly enough to suggest it's better than the Kurosawa original!).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-08-2016 at 08:44 PM.

As long as you don't make a direct copy of something he painted, you're good. A different arched rock formation, different looking floating islands....

You can't sue someone who was inspired, or did something derivative of your work. Think of how many prog bands would be sued by Genesis if that were not the case.

Of course, it would have been nice is Cameron would at least acknowledge he was inspired by Roger Dean. Because he obviously was. He still owes Dean nothing $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gianopulos View Post
    "It's a room...which is covered floor to ceiling with images, characters, worlds, settings. It's the most amazing, breathtaking thing you've ever seen.
    "It's like walking into a Yes album cover!"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    The assumption seems to be that just because someone CAN sue someone else (perhaps), it follows that they SHOULD.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "It's like walking into a Yes album cover!"
    Yeah. So. Enjoy it. Why get all puffed up over it like YOU are the one being somehow victimized. Millions of people all day long are getting great ideas from other people... just happens.

Rush should sue Galaxy Quest for stealing the Stone Man idea from their Test For Echo album cover.

I used to like standing naked in front of 30-storey office blocks so that the people inside could see my genitals. Suspended jail sentence and £20,000 legal costs; three months later, Going For The One released.