Thread: Classical Songs that Would Make Good Prog Versions

Classical Songs that Would Make Good Prog Versions

Canzon septimi toni (Giovanni Gabrieli, 1597)

This has some really interesting lines, would be very interesting as a Prog version.

Suspended
    Franz Schubert was the equivalent in his day of the pop songwriter. His two song cycles would have been early examples of concept albums - except of course he did not put them on albums, as they did not exist in his day.

I think this song, the first song in the Wintereisse suite, would sit well with many popular music lavers. Compare it for exampole with "Crossraods" from Don mcLean's album American Pie.

I've always felt Holst's Jupiter should be done as a prog piece. Zappa included a very brief excerpt of it in Call Any Vegetable, Yes also had an excerpt in The Prophet and Manfred Mann did some kind of variation of the piece. But no one has tried to tackle the entire composition in a way like ELPowell did with Mars.

Didn't King Crimson do a version of Jupiter on one of their own label releases?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I've always felt Holst's Jupiter should be done as a prog piece. Zappa included a very brief excerpt of it in Call Any Vegetable, Yes also had an excerpt in The Prophet and Manfred Mann did some kind of variation of the piece.
    Morgan Fisher (with his band Morgan) Incorporated more of it on Nova Solis. Australian band Spectrum used the main theme as the basis for the tune "Make Your Stash" on their debut album in 1971.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Didn't King Crimson do a version of Jupiter on one of their own label releases?
    Mars - found on Epitah

I've always felt Holst's Jupiter should be done as a prog piece.

The final movement of Saint Saens' 3rd Symphony, with the pipe organ replaced by a heavy Hammond B3.

Last edited by progmatist; 03-08-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post

Canzon septimi toni (Giovanni Gabrieli, 1597)

This has some really interesting lines, would be very interesting as a Prog version.

Yeah, I could hear Gryphon or Gentle Giant doing that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yeah, I could hear Gryphon or Gentle Giant doing that piece.
    Thanks. Here is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The final movement of Saint Saens' 3rd Symphony, with the pipe organ replaced by a heavy Hammond B3.

Very nice. I never heard this. I did have a sampler CD from a classical magazine that had an interview with a Saint Saens biographer.
    He apparently was like a Da Vinci and had his hand in many different arts and sciences.

This is just begging for a cheesy Hammond/synths re-arrangement:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've always felt Holst's Jupiter should be done as a prog piece. Zappa included a very brief excerpt of it in Call Any Vegetable, Yes also had an excerpt in The Prophet and Manfred Mann did some kind of variation of the piece. But no one has tried to tackle the entire composition in a way like ELPowell did with Mars.
    Didn't Tomas Bodin once say he was working on a version of some part of The Planets? I don't recall the exact details.
    <sig out of order>

I recently heard that Frogg Cafe worked on a prog rock arrangement of this tune, but it never saw the light of day:

<sig out of order>

Barber - Adagio For Strings
    Ravel - Introduction and Allegro
    Honegger - Pacific 231
    Delius - Walk to the Paradise Garden
    Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis