Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Enid's RJG to retire from touring & takes a 'swipe' at Steve Wilson!

Suspended
    Looks like SS is still at it...

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Agree to disagree, gentlemen. Move on.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Agree to disagree, gentlemen. Move on.

neil
    I couldn't agree more and it works for me. My apologies for any part I had in clogging up the thread. That was not my intent.

Exclusive: The Enid mainman Robert John Godfrey insists he’s “utterly dedicated” to seeing a new progressive movement emerge after taking a swipe at the genre

The Enid’s Robert John Godfrey has responded after facing backlash caused by his recent negative comments on the current state of progressive music.

Earlier this week, Godfrey pointed to Steven Wilson, insisting that the genre was full of “musos” who “offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful.”

Many Prog readers expressed their disappointment at his comments, prompting magazine editor Jerry Ewing to give his own thoughts on Godfrey’s remarks.

Now Godfrey has approached Prog with a follow-up statement in which he says he’s “utterly dedicated” to seeing a new wave of artists emerge.

He says: “It would seem that I’ve provoked something of a debate with some comments I made concerning Steven Wilson and if I have caused any offence I can only apologise.

“I am utterly dedicated to seeing a truly new progressive movement emerge within the younger generation – and my work with Joe Payne and his friends has been to this end.

“Soon all of the founding fathers of the original progressive movement will have faded into the shadows. So what’s next, I wonder? Am I the only one fed-up with a diet of comfort food made up of carefully crafted pastiche?”

Godfrey will step back from live dates with The Enid following their show at London’s Cadogan Hall on April 2 – the last date on their road trip in support of latest album Dust, which is out on April 1.

Before the London show, The Enid will play Bristol’s Redgrave Theatre on March 18.

Dust tracklist
    1.Born In The Fire
    2.Someone Shall Rise
    3.Monsters
    4.1000 Stars
    5.When The World Is Full
    6.Trophy
    7.Heavy Hearts

Last edited by Rufus; 03-10-2016 at 01:11 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Never change SS, never change
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Strangely, I think I agreed with everything both of them said.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Strangely, I think I agreed with everything both of them said.
    You know, now that you mention it, I think I did too.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, I think I did too.
    All things aside, I guess it is good to know that some value came from the chaos. Ultimately, that is what any conversation on here hopefully accomplishes.

"Am I the only one fed-up with a diet of comfort food made up of carefully crafted pastiche?”

LOL! Don't you love a guy who apologizes by taking a back-handed swipe at the one he is apologizing to?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    This seems an excellent first draft of a definition of "muso rock"!
    Not really. In British jargon, Muso refers to a musician who is technically proficient but lacks individual style or whose playing doesn't convey emotion. In America, Muso sometimes refers to a session musician.

Both of these descriptions of a Muso has nothing to do with solos at the expense of a song, but definitions in the prog world make little sense anyway.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 03-10-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Jefferson James
    Over the last couple of years I've checked out a handful of SS's recommended videos in an attempt to experience what it must be like existing on a higher musical plane than most; just about everything I've checked out sounds like German folk music or polka. I am not joking. I'm always expecting a mind-blowing brand-new musical experience and am almost always let down. I'm, like, "THIS is what this musical scholar considers cutting edge?"

SS posted a song by a '70s French avant band the other week and it, too, had that folk music thing in places, but in other places the music was, indeed, very interesting and, more importantly, enjoyable for me. I will continue to check out SS's suggestions in hopes of finding nuggets like the French band (name escapes me).

While our tastes don't jibe and we both look at music in vastly different ways, I still appreciate his posts and knowledge. However, I do get weary of the continual dismissal of what is basically classic rock long-form songwriting aka "Prog", the kind of stuff Patalena and I both enjoy. We get it man, it's not your thing. For us, we still find enjoyment and challenges in writing and listening the stuff. Whether I am figuring out a Mike Johnson line or a Neal Morse riff, they are both challenging to me. To go around shitting on it, over and over again, reveals perhaps a deeper insecurity or maybe a propensity for provocation on your part?

Let's all share a cold beverage and listen to some Skynyrd.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Over the last couple of years I've checked out a handful of SS's recommended videos in an attempt to experience what it must be like existing on a higher musical plane than most; just about everything I've checked out sounds like German folk music or polka. I am not joking. I'm always expecting a mind-blowing brand-new musical experience and am almost always let down.

Listening Polka music without LSD? No wonder why it doesn't appeal to you.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

just about everything I've checked out sounds like German folk music or polka. I am not joking. I'm always expecting a mind-blowing brand-new musical experience and am almost always let down. I'm, like, "THIS is what this musical scholar considers cutting edge?"
    It's the new grass, Kerry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    Let's all share a cold beverage and listen to some Skynyrd.
    Thanks, but I'll just take the beverage.

I don't understand why Skynyrd constantly gets thrown under the bus on this site. Lynyrd Skynyrd was a good band. Set aside Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama ( a good song, but overplayed) and listen to tracks like Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, I Know A Little, Gimme Back My Bullets, etc..etc... and you'll hear great, diverse songs; as good as any hard rock band of the 70s imo.... but I'm convinced that those who denigrate them the most never really delved into their catalogue too much. They just see them as a bunch of Confederate flag waving rednecks...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I don't understand why Skynyrd constantly gets thrown under the bus on this site. Lynyrd Skynyrd was a good band. Set aside Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama ( a good song, but overplayed) and listen to tracks like Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, I Know A Little, Gimme Back My Bullets, etc..etc... and you'll hear great, diverse songs; as good as any hard rock band of the 70s imo.... but I'm convinced that those who denigrate them the most never really delved into their catalogue too much. They just see them as a bunch of Confederate flag waving rednecks...
    Having had to learn a couple of Skynyrd tunes over the last couple of years I developed an appreciation for their musicianship. But they have been overplayed on the radio.
    <sig out of order>

Admit to not being too familiar with their catalogue but 'God and Guns' is a great rock album!

Suspended
    I don't understand why Skynyrd constantly gets thrown under the bus on this site..
    Well, I was not the one who introduced LS to this thread, but since someone did, I felt entitled to say they are not my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Well, I was not the one who introduced LS to this thread, but since someone did, I felt entitled to say they are not my bag.
    Nor mine, but it is always interesting to see the turns a thread can take. Its funny though, when I listen to the 70's and 80's channels on XM-Sirius, I will hear songs/bands that I could have cared less about back in the day, that somehow sound more pleasing now. The comforts of nostalgia are an interesting thing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a compilation of theirs that hits the spot when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Nor mine, but it is always interesting to see the turns a thread can take. Its funny though, when I listen to the 70's and 80's channels on XM-Sirius, I will hear songs/bands that I could have cared less about back in the day, that somehow sound more pleasing now. The comforts of nostalgia are an interesting thing.
    Indeed. Right at this very moment I am listening to A Day In the Life, played on the radio as part of a tribute to George Martin. When Sgt Pepper came out, I thought it was quite good, but did not really appreciate just how good it is until many years later.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    By the way, it's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We're allowed to hate Skynyrd based on only those two songs because this is America, dammit!

I'm proud of my ignorant Skynyrd hatred.

I don't understand why Skynyrd constantly gets thrown under the bus on this site.

Jefferson James
    I don't understand why Skynyrd constantly gets thrown under the bus on this site.
    Hey man, I was just using Skynyrd as an example of a band everyone can share a cold beer over, talk about things, work things out. It was not a judgement about the band (I am not a massive fan of the overplayed hits but they were an amazing band with some great songwriting goin' on' just watched the doc "Muscle Shoals" and LS got a lot of time -- great doc!!!!).