Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Enid's RJG to retire from touring & takes a 'swipe' at Steve Wilson!

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I though Steven Wilson was someone who just remixes albums. At least that's the way I view him.
    and steals Hawkwind songs
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

This thread seems to consist largely of opinionated people who are upset that a couple of artists expressed their opinions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Do you think they are adding to our rep as a "cesspool of hate"? Do you think they even know what they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    This thread seems to consist largely of opinionated people who are upset that a couple of artists expressed their opinions.

which is unusual how?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Do you think they are adding to our rep as a "cesspool of hate"?
    Where are they saying that?

It's been widely said about this place for years now. Ask around. I think we have made great strides to change that in the last few years and we are "nicer" than ever. But the rep is still out there. When you give free speech to everyone and don't censor not everyone is going to like what is said when everyone is given a chance to be so open. Would I have changed anything in light of that? Not really, but we probably should have been quicker to kick out the obvious trolls back when we had v2.0 going. It's sort of like raising your "kid" to be the best they can be and then being told they are a big bully. Sort of a surprise initially, but after awhile it's easy to see why SOME people might think that.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.

^ You have to factor in those who have that impression, though. When I listen to Sports Talk radio, there are always some callers who get angry with the host if the host says anything critical or negative about the home teams. They're looking for a "home on the range" experience, where never is heard a discouraging word. That has all the edge and interest of a therapy group for recovering lobotomy patients. Having seen the snake pit that was rmp, I think PE strikes the right balance.

I do too and in light of that I can only chalk it up to the thickness of people's skin and how it varies.

Have we ever said something so bad that someone didn't buy a band's CD and their career was screwed? I doubt it. I seriously doubt we have the reach to do that anyway.

Have we created a buzz that sold CDs for lesser known artists (pretty much anyone in this genre that isn't Big 5 league) and helped to give their careers (and tours) a lift? You better believe it. Repeatedly...

I am sure the glass is half full for many, it's not like everyone shares the thought that prog forums are bad unless they are censored to "utopian heights".

It is what is what it is and I am just glad we are still here doing what we do regardless how it may be perceived. 16 years and running... We have done a whole of a lot of good for this genre regardless by being one of the two best places on the net to talk about these artists' work.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-08-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post

I have no problem with anyone expressing an opinion because, afterwards, I express mine as well. No problem at all.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

PE is without a doubt, the best prog forum that there is. That doesn't mean that I don't get my feathers ruffled from time to time or that there aren't opinions that I view as short sighted or incorrect. I have even walked away from the forum once or twice. Not due to disagreeing with anyone's opinion but more so because of the negative or condescending tone that some people direct at others. Having a thick skin is one thing, but I don't tolerate people who act that way in my personal life, so no reason to deal with it on a prog forum. That said, the site has a great 'ignore' functionality along with my own ability to ignore. The vast majority of people on PE though are interesting and respectful and a lot of the conversations here are really top notch. Now, if only we could do something about right sizing the page balance for any given Yes thread vs virtually any other thread.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 03-09-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Do you think they are adding to our rep as a "cesspool of hate"? Do you think they even know what they are doing?
    That astounds me. I never thought that at all. Sure, there's a few cranky people on here, we've had the occasional sanity-challenged individual, and there's been one or two soap opera episodes. But a "cesspool of hate"? No. Where do they get that from? Even the aggravating guys tend to get treated with a fair amount of patience, if you ask me.

Maybe it was somebody who came on and immediately encountered the wrong person or wrong people. Or some band that came on, immediately started selling themselves aggressively, and got smacked down hard, rather than someone bothering to sit down and explain how that was considered bad form. Or what? I don't know.

Suspended
    A great deal of angst could be avoided if everyone remembered the simple maxim "play the ball, not the man." That is, criticism is OK, but should be directed against a person's arguments rather than the person.

I've been on at least three music fora that were far worse than PE in terms of "hating". No need to name names - some people may be able to guess.

I doubt that any reader has ever been turned off a particular artist or music release simply due to reading a rant. It's usually pretty easy to tell whether a poster is actually engaging in meaningful dialogue or simply has an agenda they are trying to push.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 03-08-2016 at 12:25 PM.

That's me done with The Enid. I liked Journeys End but Invicta and First Light did nothing for me. To my ears Joe Payne just doesn't fit with the band and it's going somewhere I don't like too much. I probably will just file Dust without playing it when it turns up as I have very low expectations. Not sure I can even be bothered to make it to the final RJG show, although that is a moot point as I seem to have mislaid the ticket.

"Geoff Downes' blog on the Yes site springs to mind, with his comments on this site...although that blog post itself wasn't particularly endearing either IMHO."

Yet initially GD was basing his thoughts on our site having never frequented it prior. Once he started to actually read it he publicly apologized and even called me a "good bloke" because I took the time to write and let him know that a few blowhards don't dictate the style of this site. Then he started to read us regularly and grew to like us and told me it "entertained him on the road".

I suspect this would be the case with many of our detractors.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's certainly nice that the most notorious troublemakers were booted off. There are still some (thankfully, a minority) who like to argue and post relentless trivia, or 'I've never heard this, but here's a load of irrelevant waffle anyway' types...who seemingly make it their mission to post in every thread
    We are on the very same page here, that is my only issue with PE and it seems to be more prevalent lately than ever before. I like the spikier posters because they generally have something interesting to say, I grow weary of reading empty waffle and pointless lists, but I've been reading this site a long time, and there's nothing new under the sun.

Suspended
    I find this interesting:
    Thread Information

There are currently 31 users browsing this thread. (10 members and 21 guests)
    Assuming the "guests" are real people, as opposed to search bots or spambots, it would be good to know what led them here if they were not keen enough to actually register on PE. Or are they future members? Or possibly past members? There's a thought to ponder.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I do tend to think a bunch of us have developed familiarity with each other to the extent that stuff is more like banter amongst mates in the pub and could be taken the wrong way by an outsider. None of it really bothers me. The only band I can think of that could have hurt its sales has nothing to do with PE's cesspool of hate. I wondering how many have been turned off Magma by the persistent Nazi rumors surrounding Vander.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think we killed Blue Vino's album sales.

So I pulled out my old vinyl BJH and Enid albums....only to put them back just as fast. Nothing I felt re-living. I still like the cutout cover for "Gone To Earth". Maybe "SWCTW" is/was memorable because it had lyrics? Whatever, to each his/her own.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    and steals Hawkwind songs
    Which ones?? Never heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Which ones?? Never heard this before.
    The first few Porcupine Tree albums have Hawkwind stamped all over them!
    If you read RJG's comments he's also very complimentary to SW, calling him an exceptional producer. I like S.W's solo albums more than Porcupine Tree albums but they are far from groundbreaking in a truly progressive sense, so RGJ's right in that context!

Cool. Let's get this Enid thread to 27 pages.

Truly, I love the Enid. But I don't feel a need for everybody else to. I've always enjoyed the feeling of rooting for a band almost like a sports team. In my young days I would hope passionately that each new Rush album would go to the top of the charts. Recently with the Enid's upswing, I've found myself cheering for them in the same way and hoping they could make that transition into a little bit of limelight in mainstream thought.

I don't particularly agree with RJG's assessment of Steven Wilson, just because I know Wilson's music is in fact very, very meaningful for many people. I guess if Steven Wilson was a team I was rooting for, I might get my hackles up a little. But I haven't been able to form a strong emotional connection with his music. Meanwhile, there are very few creative forces that hit me emotionally as intensely as The Enid's output. I think RJG could stand in the middle of 5th avenue and shoot somebody and I'd still love that music. ;-)

Good luck cleansing your record collection of artists who have said things you don't agree with. I wouldn't have much left. Some of my favorites espouse world views that I find borderline horrific. But it's not coincidental that the most opinionated artists often make the music with the most meaning.

[QUOTE=Rufus;534326]The first few Porcupine Tree albums have Hawkwind stamped all over them!
    You mean Pink Floyd

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Let's turn this place into a cesspool of love.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Stir it up!