Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Enid's RJG to retire from touring & takes a 'swipe' at Steve Wilson!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Looks like SS is still at it...

I love when Norwegians get cheesed off. It is like they go out of their way to sound extra polite to the point they make the British look like road rage on the NJ Turnpike.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We're allowed to hate Skynyrd based on only those two songs because this is America, dammit!

I'm proud of my ignorant Skynyrd hatred.
    don ferget ta shoot yer guns in tha air an whoop
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    don't forget to shoot yer guns un the air and whoop
    if I am shooting in the air, a duck or pheasant better come down. Bullets are expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Hey man, I was just using Skynyrd as an example of a band everyone can share a cold beer over, talk about things, work things out. It was not a judgement about the band (I am not a massive fan of the overplayed hits but they were an amazing band with some great songwriting goin' on' just watched the doc "Muscle Shoals" and LS got a lot of time -- great doc!!!!).
    You weren't the one Kerry. Our friend from Down Under responded he'd only take the beer and skip the Skynyrd. In another thread he dissed Sweet Home Alabama as a song that just, and I paraphrase, plunks along clumsily. And even well before his comments, Skynyrd have been one of the whipping boy bands on PE...

I honestly did not expect the amount of posts in response to my comment...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    It would be hard to beat this thread for an example of where a throwaway remark by one member, followed by a light-hearted response from another, managed to blow up into World War 3.

People need to take a cold shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You weren't the one Kerry. Our friend from Down Under responded he'd only take the beer and skip the Skynyrd. In another thread he dissed Sweet Home Alabama as a song that just, and I paraphrase, plunks along clumsily. And even well before his comments, Skynyrd have been one of the whipping boy bands on PE...

I honestly did not expect the amount of posts in response to my comment...

probably because Skynyrd is a very popular, country influenced band with southern accents whose music assaults those with sensitive ear drums attuned to the restrained wails and Hawkwind-ish sounds of Opeth fanboy Steven Wilson. Indeed, Skynyrd lacks the refinement of the Allman Brothers and do not have the constant metaphors for penises that are in ZZ Top, so they are low brow and stuff of the unwashed masses who drink moonshine and waller in bogs...

I wonder what Mr Godfrey would think of LS? Let's ponder that for a page or two. Or even the thought of a collaboration!

Symphonic Southern Rock! At LAST!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

What do you mean, at last?! What do you call KANSAS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    What do you mean, at last?! What do you call KANSAS?!
    Kansas were from the west, weren't they?

I'm from Canada. It's all the south to me!

Of course Kansas were a band from the prairies, not the south....

Yep. Nothing southern about Kansas. They occasionally flirted with that style though, the tune Down The Road is a good example with it's shit kicking, boogie groove and harmonized guitar licks. But even then, it has something more....
    Last edited by Sean; 03-11-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Too late Sean, as this is prob the closest you'll ever get - and a highly underrated one at that. Of course, they came from Chicago :

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Too late Sean, as this is prob the closest you'll ever get - and a highly underrated one at that.
    "Country Eyes" is very, very nice, SS, thanks for the heads-up. 1975, huh? Never heard of Zazu, will definitely be checking out more, their story, etc.

I am trying to draw a parallel between low-level bands like mine today and '70s bands like Zazu (assuming they remained obscure), about how the only real difference is back then there were record labels with the money and willingness to take a chance on something like Zazu, and today the artists just do it themselves.

The end result is kind of the same -- the vast majority of released music just doesn't reach a mass audience, major label or not.

Hearing "Ittsanottasonatta, But It's Close" now, I dig this a lot, thanks again SS.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    "Country Eyes" is very, very nice, SS, thanks for the heads-up. 1975, huh? Never heard of Zazu, will definitely be checking out more, their story, etc.
    There's some guy in here who actually knows a member of Zazu, but I can't recall who it is just now. The LP is fairly easy to come by, and I believe there's a CD edition of this. It was never held in particularly high regard among "progs", though - I remember accusations along the lines of "Kansas don't mix with the Doobies" etc. I personally think it's a good one. Not great or excellent, but solid.

You know. Anyway, I'll chime in with zum Germaniac polka-folk later.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It would be hard to beat this thread for an example of where a throwaway remark by one member, followed by a light-hearted response from another, managed to blow up into World War 3.

People need to take a cold shower.

Um, that would be a good description of what happens in most threads on this board. Which is one of the things I love about this place.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sweet Home Alabama - play that dead band's song. (Warren Zevon)

I think this is the most drastic derailing I've ever seen in a thread. The Enid -> Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I think this is the most drastic derailing I've ever seen in a thread. The Enid -> Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    It's all rock 'n' roll to me.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    I don't think they need Steven Wilson to do the surround sound mixes. They have just announced that the forthcoming album Dust and the previous two albums Journeys End and Invicta are due to be released in surround sound with the work done by Max Read.

Well, this is definitely nice news to us 5.1 and 4.0 listeners.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post

Funny as awl hail. The Enid morphs into Skynyrd before mah eyes.

Actually, Lynyrd Skynyrd does have a prog connection of sorts -- a Mellotron was played on Tuesday's Gone off of their first album Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Too late Sean, as this is prob the closest you'll ever get - and a highly underrated one at that. Of course, they came from Chicago :

Hey now, that's pretty interesting! I quite liked the song Country Eyes.

Never even knew about those guys.