Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Essential albums from 1980 and 1981

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Svetonio, you can easily shut down all argument by posting scans of reviews of MLitBoG from music publications of the day such as Sounds, Melody Maker, Trouser Press, Circus (or many others) in which they call it a Prog-Rock album or call Ambient Rock a part of the Progressive Rock fraternity. Everyone will then happily agree with your take on the subject.
    The genres weren't a topic so much as today, and so many reviews from that time even not mentioned a genre. The evidences are in the mailing lists made by LPs re-sellers, but the prog gods are saying that those ancient mailing list "are not valid".
    However, I provided there an evidence that Steve Miller Band's 60s stuff was regarded as "milestones of progressive rock" (the source is The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock from 1976) in favour that Steve Miller Band to be added to progarchives' "proto-prog" section but it also was ignored and ridiculed by the grumpy one who is, btw, a kind of "mastermind" of the prog gods.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-10-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, though I do think you are extrapolating your own theories into fact. " In order not to have Joni Mitchell and other American Art Rock stars in that former Art Rock section". Did they state that as the reason, or is that just your conjecture?

It's just that I'm amazed at how worked up people get over this issue. Even over the Internet, I can almost see you frothing at the mouth.
    Of course I haven't been told something like, "Hey Svetonio, we suffer from a severe form of Anglocentrism regarding progressive music", but I have plenty of evidence for this statement of mine, and I explained that on this page - you'll easily find my biggish post in the bottom of the page: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Archives/page4

p.s. Oh and in order to avoid any confusion, I want to point out that I said all of that to them in the face there, on the PA.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-10-2016 at 12:25 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    PA management and genre 'experts' are somewhat of a hot button issue for Svet, which, as he states above, has been discussed ad nauseum face to face (or the internet equivalent) over on PA. Just think of it as PA's version of MT's posts on ethnicity blindness in the early days of prog definitions on PE.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    ^^ "Hot button issue" is right. As I said, it's only music.

Banned
    Another example: *influence* is the main thing for adding bands in the PA "proto-prog" section, as per the prog gods' definition of the "genre"; so please just look how the prog gods rejected the "proto-prog" suggestion posted by my countryman, although he proved that The Velvet Underground was the main influence on the birth of krautrock http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo...asp?TID=105185
    As per my own theory about Anglocentrism at progarchives, only "problem" with The Velvet Underground is that they weren't an English band.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-10-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    By me, for one. If it's not prog what is it?

BTW, if 80s Gabriel is prog, so is Kate Bush.
    Only Gabriel's 80s stuff that is prog, it's those two soundtracks, Birdy and Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ.

You can say that again. Music has always been important to me, but jeez, the level to which some people take things is a bit extreme in my opinion. Ultimately, it is just music. As wonderful as it is, it is just music.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    That's crazy, there was tons of great stuff in 1980 and 1981. Allow me to copy and paste from my spreadsheet with no additional information.
    Oh, be my guest! Allow me to suggest one album that is so obscure that it probably doesn't exist.

Or, better yet, let's you and I debate "What is Prog" again......I will call you a Symph Weenie, and you may choose your epithet of choice as well!

Fondly,
    Cone

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not by me!
    Not by anybody. Classifying the album as prog today is completely revisionist. Agreed that it's really good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Not by anybody. Classifying the album as prog today is completely revisionist. Agreed that it's really good.
    I know people who argue also that KC's Discipline is not prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    I know people who argue also that KC's Discipline is not prog.
    I know people who have too much time on their hands and too little real things to worry about.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Was My Life in the Bush of Ghosts considered prog in 1981? By who?

Ps. it is a great album!
    well, the 4 letter word "prog" did not exist in 1981.

The first wave of artists doing progressive things using Rock music elements was indeed over though, so there was a new generation of artists doing progressive things using Rock music elements. Looking back, I would have to say that MLITBOG was indeed quite progressive and of course it does use Rock music elements.

but to answer your question, no one called *anything* "prog" in 1981
    though there *were* bands that were called "Symphonic Rock" and "Jazz Rock" and "Zeuhl" and "Kosmische" and "Canterbury" and "Avant Rock" back then
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, the 4 letter word "prog" did not exist in 1981... no one called *anything* "prog" in 1981
    You keep saying that, but it's not true. I was introduced to Progressive Rock in 1978 by someone calling it "Prog Rock." Yes, the dreaded four letter word. It may not have been widely used, it may have been a regional thing, or whatever. But "Prog" as a shortening of "Progressive Rock" was in use in the 70s by some people. And both terms were in reference to bands like ELP, Yes, KC, Genesis, Tull, etc. as differentiated from other adventurous, but not quite as adventurous, rock music.

Bill

where was this place you heard the 4 letter word? I lived in and around NYC in the 70s (the NYC that's *the* trendsetting city of the planet Earth) and did not hear the 4 letter word until the late 80s
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hitler!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.