Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why don't girls listen to RUSH?

Why don't girls listen to RUSH?

Who're you callin' a girl?

Suspended
    I think the question whould not be "Why don't girls listen to Rush", but rather why boys DO listen to Rush.

Why girls don't listen prog music and like just pop music?

I know a great female singer who fronts a Rush cover band, Fred Barchetta. Are you kidding me?

The song is called " WHY WHY ZED" ! These guys don't know a thing about Rush!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My first wife was the most outrageously sexual individual I ever came across (and an academic expert on sensualism and erotic decadence in early modernist Angloamerican literature), and from the 5-600+ progressive artists I listened to back then, Rush were the ones she laughed at the most. Mockingly. I believe she referred to them collectively as something akin to "unknowing animations on disturbed communications of identity" or thereabout.

Which, I suppose, renders Rush one of the most unequivocally and immaculately masculine "prog" groups there ever were; these dudes didn't even bother with issues as profoundly trivial as the axiom of sexuality.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm an ordinary man. But for me personally, Rush are shit!.. Being a long time prog-fan, I never liked their music and almost hated Geddy's voice. So.. what it should mean?

My Wife loves Rush (and quite a few other Prog bands too I might add) I have found; Moving pix, Snakes & Arrows, GuP, etc. in her car severals times. (NOT put there by me) She's also very fond of Solo Steve Howe stuff, (Grand Scheme of things, Turbulance), PG-era Genesis, Nektar, Ozric, etc.

I don't go along with this 'women don't like prog' thing (I know from my time on forums this is not the case...the official Genesis forum ten years or so back had quite a few female fans, and yes, that's 70s Genesis!).

Having said that, I do feel there is definitely something very 'male' about Rush, more than usual for the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't go along with this 'women don't like prog' thing (I know from my time on forums this is not the case...the official Genesis forum ten years or so back had quite a few female fans, and yes, that's 70s Genesis!).

Having said that, I do feel there is definitely something very 'male' about Rush, more than usual for the genre.
    Like Geddy Lee's vocals on their first albums?

I like those.

I'm just a working man, so I don't have the answer.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

LOL, I enjoyed the video!

Every girl I've ever gone out with have all liked Rush, and liked them before they ever met me. There have always been plenty of women at the Rush concerts I was at. I get the whole "thinking man's rock band" thing and how that would play into the classic image of terminal teenage males living in their parent's basement being the only fans. But it isn't so and never was.

Still, funny video. It's OK to laugh at the cliche, even if it doesn't really hold true.

Bill

My wife loves Rush, although mostly from Moving Pictures on... it's unlikely I'll ever come home to her blasting Caress Of Steel.

She's been to several shows with me, and even instigated the ticket buying when I was humming and hawing over it (seen them nine times over the years). I've always seen plenty of females at Rush shows, but my wife has said that she enjoys the "no lineup" at the bathroom during intermission - not the case with the men's room!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like the song, it's catchy!

But why all the hating on RUSH now on PE? Come on, most girls hate all prog it's not exclusive to Rush.

My wife would never play a Rush album on her own but she's gone to a few shows with me and she knows many of the songs. On the Vapor Trails show, we were in seats parallel to end of the stage. During "Roll the Bones" she got on a concrete landing and was doing her best to dance along. This was heresy for many of the fans around us. First of all, the band is playing that song. Second, there's a woman at a Rush show, which they found both horrifying and fascinating. And there she is, dancing in sort of a sixties go-go girl manner, to that goddamn song. Finally, Ged notices my wife and gives her the Nod of Approval. I am certain at least three of the virgin males sitting behind us were going into full comic book guy: Worst.Concert.Ever.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I know lots of women who like Rush.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I don't understand why woman don't like them--Geddy is so sexy lol---I think woman will like them if they like a arena rock band---they are not strictly prog ---but at all the prog concerts I've been to--it's usually 75% ugly guys with the exception of me lol---and 25% ordinary looking girls---the same girls that go to Renessainse fairs lol. Kidding aside my sister has seen Rush with her husband twice is she a fan not really but likes to see them live

When my daughter was a young teen she was really into classic rock. We'd have these conversations about the biggies, the Zeppelins, Beatles, etc. I told her about Rush and Kansas and stuff that was proggy. One day she tells me "Dad I heard Rush." She didn't like them. I didn't ask her what song she heard or anything so don't know if it was something from the 80s or 70s. I told her that Rush is kind of a guy's band, or a band for musicians. She agreed. My daughter's mother (the ex) was/is a piano player and singer. She sang professionally at one time. She loved opera and classical music so I figured she'd like prog. Nothin' doin.' She didn't "get" it. I played her "Knots" by GG (being that she loves vocals). She wasn't impressed. She could not have cared less......

Now, those of you who've seen the Rush documentary (Beyond The Lighted Stage): There's that part toward the end where they go on about how there are more women into Rush these days than ever in the past. Then there's this concert footage where they show some older women standing at the front of the stage, clapping, singing along, etc. Forgive me but it just seemed so cornball.

As my wife used to tell me: "it's because they just weren't sexy. At least Ian Anderson had that codpiece." LOL
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    When I play Rush now it's mostly Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.
    This is essentially - for me - the only Rush album I'd deem thoroughly excellent today, although "Jacob's Ladder" still suffers from that lack of substance-structural unity which so marked ALL of their earlier releases. I'm one of those who actually find Moving Pictures the patchiest of the band's 'progressive' records.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Because they don't have the balls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To note- I shared the song because it was humorous and not serious. The title of this thread was a line from the song. If you didn't listen to the song, go have a listen now (I know some of you did).
    Last edited by Sean; 03-05-2016 at 12:15 PM.

I listened and chuckled mightily at the song. Good times, well played
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Nerf Herder is best known as the band that did the theme song for the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart