Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Music: Which rock or popular artists really got to it first?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's politically correct. Fuck it, I'm voting the Trumpster........lol
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I think another story to be told is the reverse pollinization of African and Asian musicians with music from the Americas. Yes, if you go back long enough, blues music and Latin music eventually ties to African rhythms from the slaves imported from mostly West Africa. But in the 1940s, 50s and 60s lots of music from Cuba, Jamaica, and the American south went back to Africa as LPs in the luggage of traveling Africans. Way before even the Nonesuch series, Fidel Castro was fomenting revolution in the area, getting out the word with Cuban music which appealed to the masses.
    Listen for Duke Ellington in this big band music in E.T. Mensah from Ghana http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info.php?id=RETRO24CD
    Listen for Cuban rhythms from ORCHESTRE PAILLOTE from Guinea http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info.php?id=SLP01 a
    And early American jazz from Bembeya Jazz http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info.php?id=slp04
    Even the Malian guitar great Ali Farka Toure had tons of LPs in the house from classic American bluesmen.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Whoever snopes is.
    Snopes.com, a website dedicated to ripping the veil from common misconceptions and fake urban legends. Anyway, Yma Sumac is demonstrably South American, and most likely really Peruvian. Her real name is Augusta Castillo and she got her start performing with the Inka Taky Trio (along with her husband Moisés Vivanco on guitar and her sister—whose name I forget—on harmony vocals) in Buenos Aires. They released some 78 RPM discs in Argentina in the 40s before Capitol Records discovered her and whisked her off to the States.

All that business about her being Incan royalty or whatever is, of course, balderdash. I’d bet money on her actually being from Lima.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Yes, I believe this is the first hit record of a world music song! Congrats to you!
    Who was the lady who wore the basket of tropical fruit on her head? Carmen Miranda?
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Who was the lady who wore the basket of tropical fruit on her head? Carmen Miranda?
    That was her. Bananas were her "schtick".

Lol... Dem bananas... Daaaay-O
    Still alive and well...

I'm adding Aktuala (Italy), Dionysis Savopoulos (Greece), Clivage (France), Pan-Ra (Hungary/France) and Ossian (Poland).
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-09-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^

Haven't heard Pan-Ra, but those others fit into glove.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Paul Winter Consort should be mentioned. Just remembering that I saw them in concert circa 1977!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Patrick Moraz - The Story of I - 1976

Brazillian percussion
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Close but no cigar. Carmen Maranda made faux "South American" songs like 1941's South American Way, which was also recorded by the Andrew Sisters. Both versions were quite popular and campy, but it was not world music.

Try again. This is not as easy as you think it is.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Paul Winter Consort should be mentioned.
    Good call. Paul Winter traveled to Brazil in 1958-9 IIRC, and fell in love with the local music scene. He released his album "Rio" a couple of years before the whole Bossa Nova craze hit jazz in 1963-4.

How about Dean Martin. Volare, Thats Amore... ?

Also, there was a very popular crew in the 50s called "Los Indios Tabajares" who sold an impressive number of records.

And Mongo Santamaria

Astrud Gilberto... ?

Herb Alpert

Miles Davis.... Hugh Masakela?
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Close but no cigar. Carmen Maranda made faux "South American" songs like 1941's South American Way, which was also recorded by the Andrew Sisters. Both versions were quite popular and campy, but it was not world music.
    What about her Portuguese-language stuff?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And Paul Simon had been dabbling with it for years before Graceland- 'El Condor Pasa', 'Duncan', 'Mother And Child Reunion'...
    There was a documentary last year on PBS about 'Graceland'; it had presented it as the 'catalyst' of what we think of as 'World Music' today
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    There was a documentary last year on PBS about 'Graceland'; it had presented it as the 'catalyst' of what we think of as 'World Music' today
    Could very well be... Wiki says the term "world music" was coined in 1989. graceland was released around 86. Everything before was termed exotic or foreign or latin, african, etc.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    What about her Portuguese-language stuff?

Yes, it was very popular in her native country of Brazil. The same way Son music was popular in Cuba. But it was not crossover.

Next.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Could very well be... Wiki says the term "world music" was coined in 1989. graceland was released around 86. Everything before was termed exotic or foreign or latin, african, etc.
    And Steve Hackett was incorporating Brazilian music into Til We Have Faces a couple of years before Graceland...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Posting this for the interesting vocals performance, not for the music the guitarist has brought in (which is good too), but I have no idea what they're saying. Couldn't find a more suitable thread than this for it.
    https://youtu.be/F3VYORQhhWY

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    And Steve Hackett was incorporating Brazilian music into Til We Have Faces a couple of years before Graceland...
    Good answer!!!

I always thought this was a bit of a real breakthrough.

https://youtu.be/LqMEUSyeWGY
    Last edited by clivey; 07-25-2022 at 02:55 AM.

from 1966

Recent 2022 performance of Graceland
    https://youtu.be/qwDgbcfAsxA

This fairly old (1977) album by Randy Armstrong and Ken LaRoche, not mentioned much here at PE if at all, is considered one of the classics of World Music and I can see that. But during the years I heard and enjoyed it (early 80s), I was simply thinking of it as a "mainly acoustic guitar + various flutes instrumental album", and even today I'd probably rather put it into the New Age / Western Folk bin than World. I'm highlighting it here because it's an excellent album. Really great tunes. A classic in melody writing and acoustic guitar. And good flutes. Unless I'm forgetting something since it's been years, this is simply great folky New Age, has little or no synths or keyboards, and its World Music'ness may just be mainly Native American flavor in only a few tunes, plus sitar only one track (and acoustic guitar played in a sitar-like way / sounds). I guess it's time I listened to the entirety of this again after many years. Highly recommended.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...88CERiI9-87wc8