Thread: Strawbs: Grave New World.

Strawbs: Grave New World.

It still holds up for me. Benedictus and the title track are two of the Strawbs best songs, IMHO, and the other strong songs that make up this classic prog album are top shelf as well.

What say you?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Good LP; mellotron-tastic. The "Hey Little Man" interludes I can do without, but "Ah Me, Ah My" is execrable. Fortunately they're all short.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

10/10 for me. Not sure if its a masterpiece, but I adore this album more than I can convey here. I love every track here - even the ones that Mo' doesn't - and "Benedictus" probably gets my vote as my all-time fav Strawbs tune. My pick for the best Strawbs album.

"On Growing Older" makes, for me, one of the defining and truly *magic* Strawbs moments, especially when the entrance of a second guitar (before verse no.2) makes you realize that the tune is all but deeper than the folky ditty it initially presents itself as. This is of course one of the continuous subjects of Cousins' romantic ponderings on life; just how awakenings in following age cast revelations on exact incidents of past tense, resulting in new awareness of fate in man. I love that song.

"Benedictus" is fabulous as well, despite the - for me - astrangeing entoxication of a pietously ecstatic chorus which obviously only enhances the greatness of the song. And I actually like the "Hey, Little Man"/"Queen of Dreams"/"Brilliant Disguise"/[title]/"Hey, Little Man" mini-rock-opera affliction. "Journey's End" is a wonderful closer too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

May you Rot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "On Growing Older" makes, for me, one of the defining and truly *magic* Strawbs moments, especially when the entrance of a second guitar (before verse no.2) makes you realize that the tune is all but deeper than the folky ditty it initially presents itself as. This is of course one of the continuous subjects of Cousins' romantic ponderings on life; just how awakenings in following age cast revelations on exact incidents of past tense, resulting in new awareness of fate in man. I love that song.

"Benedictus" is fabulous as well, despite the - for me - astrangeing entoxication of a pietously ecstatic chorus which obviously only enhances the greatness of the song. And I actually like the "Hey, Little Man"/"Queen of Dreams"/"Brilliant Disguise"/[title]/"Hey, Little Man" mini-rock-opera affliction. "Journey's End" is a wonderful closer too.
    Nice thoughts Scrotini.

I'm rotting so slowly that I feel as though I'm kind of living. But I know it's a sham. Deep down I know it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Old man of prog
    "Heavy Disguise" is my joint.

"Queen Of Dreams" is my favorite Strawbs track.

Grave New World and Ghosts are Strawbs at their finest!

My fav Strawbs LP by far.
    I can still listen to it over and over and not get tried of it.

My favorite Strawbs lp. "From the Witchwood" is a close second. I still enjoy GNW to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    May you Rot!!!
    Eggzactly
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I really prefer the Hooper-Hudson-Ford era (as opposed to the Lambert-Coombes-Cronk one), but GNW is not up to part with Witchwood or Antiques & Curios, IMHO

But I still like it quite a bit.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This was The Strawbs Fragile, groups songs interspersed with solo efforts from the members of the band.

The shorther solo songs serve as nice interludes to the much stronger group songs. The Flower and the Young man is my favourite.

This was amongst the first 25 albums I owned. Lots of charm to this album.
    I remember tomorrow

This was the first Strawbs album I bought, back in '72. Still love it immensely. The title track is the song for which the Mellotron was created.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.