Thread: RIP-John Thomas of Budgie

RIP-John Thomas of Budgie

Band’s longtime drummer Steve Williams confirms news that John Thomas has passed away

Former Budgie guitarist John Thomas has died aged 63, it’s been reported.

His death was confirmed by the band’s longtime drummer Steve Williams who broke the news on Facebook.

Williams says: "My friend and fellow Budgie band member John Thomas sadly passed away last night. My thoughts are with the loved ones he left behind.”

Robin Trower expressed his sadness at the news on Twitter, calling Thomas a “rifftastic guitarist.”

No cause of death has been reported.

Thomas replaced Rob Kendrick in the band in 1979 and continued to play with Budgie until they split in 1988. He came back into the fold once the band reformed in 1995 and again when they returned to action in 1999. He departed for the final time in 2002.

Thomas played on three of Budgie’s albums – 1980’s Power Supply, 1981’s Nightflight and 1982’s Deliver Us From Evil.

That's sad. The albums that he co-wrote in the 80s were very good albums and although they aren't necessarily my favorite Budgie albums I'm nostalgic about them because that was the time when I saw Budgie live on several occasions. He was a fine rock guitarist and it was always great to watch him play. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP. "I Turned to Stone"...what a great song.

Very sad, but Tony Bourge was my favorite Budgie guitarist, just listen to Breadfan...

Orcopian
    This is terrible news, Budgie were the first live band I ever saw in1981 when they were support to Ian Gillian. Over the years the details of the gig have faded but the one memory I have always had was of John Thomas Wearing his army jacket, playing an explorer shaped guitar and riffing furiously on panzer division destroyed, the sound when he first slowly dragged his plectrum along the fretboard was my first guitar hero moment when I went wow, in hindsight it's probably not very impressive but it made a huge impression on me as a 14 year old and was an iconic moment I have never forgotten

I subsequently worked back through their catalogue and of course found about Tony bourge, but John Thomas will always be the first guitarist I ever saw play.

aT the start of a busy weekend this is such sad news and I can't wait to find the time play some budgie as a tribute to a great musican. I think it will be turn to stone first then the live version of panzer division.

RIP.

Budgie is a band I've been wanting to get into for years. The few albums of theirs I've seen online are a shade expensive.

"Big" John Thomas was an excellent guitar slinger. Just listen to the riffing of Forearm Smash and be convinced.

RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS