Thread: Rick Wakeman ABC Video 1974 Journey to the centre of the earth

Rick Wakeman ABC Video 1974 Journey to the centre of the earth

Hi,
    I just rejoined PE to share the following:
    I just uploaded a video from Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the earth in 1974: You find it here: https://youtu.be/ZAQFfycgmzs. It's not good quality and also incomplete. I got it in a trade some 15 years ago. I was searching for a better version but could not find one, so decided to upload the poor one I have. Enjoy, but maybe someone has a better version or complete one?

Is this different to the DVD that was recorded in Australia?

It's different from the Australia show. I have a bit of a better copy, but I have no desire to waste time uploading it to Youtube.

I remember watching this when it aired way back in the day. Wish the quality was better and it was released officially. Thanks for posting.

I remember it being simulcast on local radio stations, where I watched the show on TV and listened to it through my stereo.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The Audio part of this was released as a bootleg LP "Unleashing the tethered One". First on LP, later on CD. Rick put it on his Treasure chest and it was finally released officially on CD in 2002 (see http://www.rwcc.com/title_detail.asp?int_titleID=138). I have had the audio recording for ages and played it to death. I like it even more than the official release from 1974, London.
    Especially the narrator and the moog solo at the end ("In silence, they waited for the Storm") are fantastic. The video I uploaded is pretty bad, but I enjoyed it never the less.
    Now to you who saw it in the days... "Journey" was probably played in full, but were there some wives of Henry played and/or the American Concerto?
    They were on the LP and CD versions. and to "Main the Mountain"... is your version more complete. Would love to see him play THAT solo at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RuudE View Post
    and to "Main the Mountain"... is your version more complete. Would love to see him play THAT solo at the end.
    No it isn't. It's a shame really, there are other good quality videos of Rick from those days, but this one was never one I spent time watching because of the poor video quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RuudE View Post
    Now to you who saw it in the days... "Journey" was probably played in full, but were there some wives of Henry played and/or the American Concerto?
    Yes, the Concerto and at least a couple of Six Wives tracks were included in the broadcast. I only remember two wives being played, but the CD has three...I may be misremembering there.

Wow, thanks for posting that. I remember watching it when it aired (thanks to my sister telling me to, I was only 10 at the time). When the Australian DVD came out, I thought for sure that what I saw was different from that DVD. Now I know for sure that it was a different version.

By coincidence, Rick just announced a new Journey Box Set, and while it includes the audio of this show, no video is included.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2016-0...to-be-reissued

Good grief, can't he even wait until he's completed his current reworking of King Arthur before announcing yet another recycling of Journey?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Journey to the Center of Rick Wakeman's Tax Return.