Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mostly Autumn- Any friends or foes?

I've been checking them out during various interims right from the start, but I honestly can't say I was ever very convinced. "Neo-prog-folk" was supposedly their game, but they fell completely through with the arrival of the new folk wave in the early 2000s (Mary Jane, Espers, Circulus, Tunng and so on).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Long time fan here, I happily pay £30 up front for the special edition of their albums. Bryan Josh is a gifted song writer for sure.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My love of them is more of a seasonal thing....
    Are you saying it leaves you cold?

I fell in love with them with The Last Bright Light, and thought that Passengers was superb. I have everything they have done, and have seen them a few times live.

Sadly, I do not think they will ever be "huge", but, having said that, I am not altogether sure that Bryan and Olivia really want that. They seem very happy in their own skin, and with what they produce.

I must say, though, that Dressed In Voices is an utter classic, and required listening for all discerning prog fans. Extremely thoughtful and moody, it simply oozes class.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I fell in love with them with The Last Bright Light, and thought that Passengers was superb. I have everything they have done, and have seen them a few times live.

Sadly, I do not think they will ever be "huge", but, having said that, I am not altogether sure that Bryan and Olivia really want that. They seem very happy in their own skin, and with what they produce.

I must say, though, that Dressed In Voices is an utter classic, and required listening for all discerning prog fans. Extremely thoughtful and moody, it simply oozes class.
    Laz knows good prog without even having to listen to it. Just kidding. Mr. Lazland is wonderful articulator of the sounds of modern prog and I highly respect both his person and views.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I'm with you, but Passengers didn't set the prog world on fire.
    If they didn't make it with Heather Findlay, I doubt they'll ever will.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The arena "classic rock" aspect is their Achilles' heel for me. As long as they keep mixing it with the most radio friendly aspects of Pink Floyd they'll never fully convince me to keep an interest on them.

If they went the Mary Jane / Circulus way (as stated above), they would have gained more "prog" cred but to a smaller audience.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-03-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The only thing I have by them is their Lord of the Rings album. It was OK, but didn't inspire me to buy anything else.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I've all the MA studio albums and most of the live ones too. I came in at TLBL in about 2001.
    They are the band I have seen live more than any other - simply because they play on my patch once or twice every year and, providing I can make it, I'll be there to see them. They always put on a good show - whatever the line-up.
    I'll agree that their first 4 (proper) albums are the gems of their catalogue (Not "Lord of the Rings" though - that was an interim release and isn't that representative of the quality they're capable of) - followed by a lull after Passengers lasting until Heather left (some great songs but too much so-so).
    A rejuvenation started once Olivia took over - their last couple of albums being up there amongst their best.
    Live they brought in the best of the Breathing Space songs (particularly Questioning Eyes) which made sense considering Olivia and Iain Jennings are back in the band.
    Try "Catch The Spirit" or "Pass the Clock" to cherry-pick the early albums with Heather and maybe the live "Still Beautiful" to see how the band now sounds with Olivia out front.
    "Dressed in Voices" (their first proper concept album) is excellent and shows a lot of promise for the future.

That's encouraging. Do you mean it's a higher-quality example of the usual thing, or has there been a newer direction lately?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The only thing I have by them is their Lord of the Rings album. It was OK, but didn't inspire me to buy anything else.
    Yeah, that one's sort of a Last Bright Light Lite. Decently good, if formulaic (which probably isn't surprising for something banged out in two weeks).
    Last edited by Spiral; 03-03-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    'll agree that their first 4 (proper) albums are the gems of their catalogue (Not "Lord of the Rings" though) - followed by a lull after Passengers lasting until Heather left (some great songs but too much so-so).
    That's where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    A rejuvenation started once Olivia took over - their last couple of albums being up there amongst their best.
    I have not tried any, but maybe Ill do that.

They have a lot of very loyal fans in UK, but then there are a lot of people who consider them Mostly Awful. It would help, in my opinion, if Bryan Josh reduced the amount of singing he did. I'm afraid that his voice is an acquired taste, that I have not managed to acquire.

The thing is that they should be a band that I like, and people will say to me that the new one is much better than the last one. So, I'd go and buy it, play it a few times, and then forget it. It is said, here and elsewhere, that the new one (released in 2014 maybe) is the much better than the one before. I haven't bought it. I'm afraid that Mostly Autumn is not a band that I enjoy for whatever reason.

I've seen them live, and there are some good moments. They play year in, year out at the Cambridge Rock Festival which I go to occassionally. Last time, after half their set, I turned to the person I was with, realised that we weren't enjoying it, and left.

^ Despite being a long time fan I agree with you that Bryan should leave most of the singing to Olivia. Josh's voice is the one main obstacle they have had in becoming more successful imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    That's encouraging. Do you mean it's a higher-quality example of the usual thing, or has there been a newer direction lately?

Difficult question, really. It is an album which is instantly recognisable as a MA work, because Bryan Josh, especially, has always produced such work. By this, I mean think of Yes with Anderson. Always recognisable as such, but with variations within that theme. I hope this makes sense.

The really pleasant surprise on this album was just how much it dripped with emotion, and with a subject matter which was not easy, this being the last moments, and reflections on life, of someone who has been murdered. Those reflections, however, were rooted in ordinary life, and it is this which made it so utterly urgent. I recognised instantly those reflections in my own life.

Musically, there is a progression in the wall of sound which booms from the speakers, far more than in previous efforts. There are passages which are incredibly heavy, emotionally significant, quite beautiful, and never anything less than interesting. I did do a review on PA. I am not technically competent enough to post a link, but it is easily enough found, and it is, I believe, a fair reflection of the album.

I am a fan of Mostly Autumn. I'm surprised at all the people that don't like Bryan Josh's voice only because I think he sounds quite similar to Gilmour.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I heard one album and thought of them as a sort of neo-prog version of Fleetwood Mac.
    Yeah. Their song Flowers for Guns really sounds like FM.

They're uneven, but there are times when Bryan Josh's guitar playing is extremely sensitive and just great. At times he seems to me like if the unthinkable happened and Steve Rothery was to be replaced, he'd be a good fit.

It is an album which is instantly recognisable as a MA work ... Musically, there is a progression in the wall of sound which booms from the speakers, far more than in previous efforts. There are passages which are incredibly heavy, emotionally significant, quite beautiful, and never anything less than interesting.
    Thanks, that's just the sort of thing I was wondering about. (Yeah, I may get around to listening to samples, but it's so much more interesting reading opinions.) I'm curious enough to keep an eye out for this one, even if I may have to be in a certain frame of mind to go with the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I'm surprised at all the people that don't like Bryan Josh's voice only because I think he sounds quite similar to Gilmour.
    Really? I never would have thought that at all. Bryan doesn't have the depth or richness of a Gilmour. Nothing against the guy, I mean--it's just the way his voice is. I don't dislike it (his emotion & sincerity are unmistakable), but it's also not the right kind of voice for some of the bigger dramatic moments he goes for. The understated verses of "Heroes Never Die" work great; that overwrought "beautiful friend" song from Glass Shadows whose title I forget right now, really not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They're uneven, but there are times when Bryan Josh's guitar playing is extremely sensitive and just great. At times he seems to me like if the unthinkable happened and Steve Rothery was to be replaced, he'd be a good fit.
    Agreed, that's where he really shines most.

I like Brian Josh's voice, even though I know his limitations. He does sound like David Gilmour. Maybe he's gone downhill on recent albums? I only own the albums prior and up to Passengers.

My wife & daughter also enjoy Mostly Autumn, and I've never heard them cringe at Brian's voice.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I like Brian Josh's voice, even though I know his limitations. He does sound like David Gilmour. Maybe he's gone downhill on recent albums? I only own the albums prior and up to Passengers.

My wife & daughter also enjoy Mostly Autumn, and I've never heard them cringe at Brian's voice.
    Do they cringe audibly?

Personally I think this band overdid it, out too much and too many releases. I also think whilst accomplished musicians the material is often very samey and not very memorable.

Mostly Autumn will support Ritchie Blackmore’s new-look Rainbow lineup in Birmingham on June 25

Mostly Autumn have been confirmed as support for Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow in Birmingham on June 25.

The show is the only UK date for the guitar icon’s new-look lineup, and will follow the band’s appearance at the Monsters Of Rock festivals in Germany on June 17 and 18.

Mostly Autumn guitarist Bryan Josh says: “We are very proud to announce that Mostly Autumn, as a four piece, have been invited and confirmed to be the support for Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow on June 25 at the Birmingham Genting Arena.

“Our most sincere and heartfelt thanks go to all in the Ritchie Blackmore camp for this incredible opportunity. As you may well know, Ritchie Blackmore has been a major influence on me ever since I was a child. In fact, one of the main reasons I picked up a guitar in the first place all those years ago. This will be very special for so many reasons.”

Mostly Autumn released an acoustic EP last year which was recorded on their support tour with Steve Hackett in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Personally I think this band overdid it, out too much and too many releases. I also think whilst accomplished musicians the material is often very samey and not very memorable.
    Overhyped as well, I think...the 'new Pink Floyd' PR put me off.

I wish them no ill, though...that they have kept going for so long is to be commended. And supporting Ritchie Blackmore is something of a coup given there will be quite a bit of interest in that show.