Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog T- shirts

Prog T- shirts

Ok, basically just a thread here discussing your favorite T-shirts, or any recommendations (or not) of some proggy shirts. I have been contemplating picking up a few new ones - namely a Henry Cow shirt on Amazon that is made by Old Skool Hooligans - but its hard to judge what type of quality these are?

If you have picked up some great shirts (either online or at shows), please tell us about it. A few of my most prized possessions shirt-wise are:

1) Anglagard - Black with a white mellotron in the middle. Classic - I love this thing. NF 2003.

2) Mike Keneally/Beer for Dolphins - Red with the upside down question mark/cat. Bought this on the Sluggo tour in NYC. A bit snug, but that's not the shirts fault.

3) NEARfest 2003 - neon green with the Roger Dean Lizard. I love this shirt and its just super quality - looks amazing still after 13 or so years.

4) Cardiacs - black with the classic 'Little Man' logo in white. Runs a bit small, but my favorite article of clothing, period.

What says thee?

Too many to list.

They seem to eventually wind up in that vortex that socks go into in the laundry though and vanish though! So any fave is only one for a few years and then, POOF!

I've reached a point too where I'd rather wear a thinner tee with no art on it rather than the concert tee, though I still wear them occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Too many to list.

They seem to eventually wind up in that vortex that socks go into in the laundry though and vanish though! So any fave is only one for a few years and then, POOF!

I've reached a point too where I'd rather wear a thinner tee with no art on it over the concert tee, though I still wear them occasionally....
    Don't put them on the dryer - EVER!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When I bought shirts years ago I should have anticipated middle age spread.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Don't put them on the dryer - EVER!!
    Well, you have to get preshrunk and really find a size that fits you well and then you will be OK.

I sell screen printed tees for a living so I've seen and tried them all.

When I see them selling for 35+ bucks at a show I have to laugh. Also, I really don't dig shirts with a lot of layers of ink on them. When it feels like a sweaty patch on your chest it's way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When I bought shirts years ago I should have anticipated middle age spread.
    I hear ya! I usually order a size up, BUT you can actually stretch them before you put them on and gain about a 1/2 a size. I do that with most of my Larges now. Don't get carried away and rip it though!

Too many to list.
    And how!

The last prog related shirt I bought was at ProgDay last year. It's not for a specific band. It just says in big letters PROG LIVES MATTER.

Jefferson James
    When I see them selling for 35+ bucks at a show I have to laugh.
    Sean, what are you laughing about, that the band needs to ask a fortune for apparel to make up for the loss of CD sales, touring costs, etc.?

Everyone knows bands make their money via touring and merch. What is a reasonable price for a medium quality band t-shirt? I would think $10-$15 but, like you, I have seen t-shirts priced ridiculously high and it's always the same reason: because no one is buying their musical offerings.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Current favorites

Univers Zero Heresie (Cuneiform)
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores (psychedelic cat)
    Secret Chiefs 3 (2013)
    Anglagard - Viljans Oga (from NF12)
    RIO Festival - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Cuneifest 2011
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Oh, I got me old Camel Dust and Dreams t-shirt from 1992 still. Don't dare to wash it

I like the Hackett Genesis Revisited shirt I got a little over a year ago. It has the stock part of his Gibson Les Paul with his name on it. I don't particularly care for black t-shirts and most concert shirts are black so I skip them. This one isn't solid black so I grabbed it. I also quite liked the Tab in the Ocean shirt I was able to pick up at a Nektar concert (Nearfest 2002 or maybe the US tour they did a couple of years later).

Anyone know a good source for buying on-line prog shirts by more obscure bands like VdGG or older album cover-like shirts like Lamb or Court of Crimson King?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Current favorites

Univers Zero Heresie (Cuneiform)
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores (psychedelic cat)
    Secret Chiefs 3 (2013)
    Anglagard - Viljans Oga (from NF12)
    RIO Festival - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Cuneifest 2011
    Sweet! You are the epitome of prognerd fashion

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Sean, what are you laughing about, that the band needs to ask a fortune for apparel to make up for the loss of CD sales, touring costs, etc.?

Everyone knows bands make their money via touring and merch. What is a reasonable price for a medium quality band t-shirt? I would think $10-$15 but, like you, I have seen t-shirts priced ridiculously high and it's always the same reason: because no one is buying their musical offerings.
    I'd say you are correct, sir.

I only wear tour / festival shirts of shows I have actually seen. I have a ton of them......

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    S'alright, but I'd rather have the Hatfield shirt that Liam Magill from Syd Arthur often wears. It looks vintage but I read somewhere that it was homemade (it's his fave band apparently). You can half-glimpse it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87muzXnJkPw

Last few purchases I've made. Ordered all in 2XL or 3XL size to allow for shrinkage:

Best Gentle Giant shirt I've seen. Made in Italy. Good quality: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Gentle-Giant-.../271782549187?

Spock's Beard: http://t4merch.com/spocks-beard-harley-black-tee/

Genesis: http://bestrocktshirts.com/site/inde...1890&Itemid=32

Marillion: http://bestrocktshirts.com/site/inde...=124&Itemid=32

Fish: http://shop.fishheads.club/product/f...t-shirt-black/

Favorite t-shirts of mine:

Love "Forever Changes" cover
    Byrds "5D" cover
    Steely Dan Becker-Fagen circa 1973 photo
    Zappa mega-face

All "progressive" afaic.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I still have a commercially bought four colour Gentle Giant shirt of the full giant holding the band, bought in '75 or 76. The shirt in the photo on the left is one I saw someone wearing at a battle of the bands in 2011, it says Progossaurus and is dinosaur playing a Moog.
    I remember tomorrow

Suspended
    I'm not a big fan of slogan T-shirts at all, so I would be very selective.

The only concert I went to where I would have been tempted to buy a T was Porcupine Tree ("The Incident"). It's not my favourite PT album, but that Incident cover with the hand is a cool design. As usually happens with me, there were no T-shirts left in my size. I would have been fine if I had been XS or XXL, but there were no "normal" shirts left.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 02-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

Don't forget, that at theater and arena shows and some clubs, the venue takes a 15% or 20% cut of merch sales for the privilege of letting the artist set up shop. If the artist is remitting sales tax, that is another factor in pricing. Also, here in Vancouver BC, when bands bring shirts over the border, they get hit with duty fees.
    I remember tomorrow

A friend of mine has a great shirt, it says Bob Marley and has a picture of Jimi Hendrix. Commercially bought, I believe it is intentional.
    I remember tomorrow

I must have at least 20 but probably closer to 30 or more.

At least two t shirts have been made into pillows. One is my YES pillow which is on my bed as we speak. I also have a Genesis pillow somewhere. I also have t shirts by:

Rush, Kansas, Porcupine Tree, Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Nektar, Frost, Fireballet(got it for free at Progday one year), Yes, VDGG plus several Nearfest, Progday and Rosfest t shirts and one Prog in the park t shirt. I wouldn't mind having t shirts by Echolyn, PFM, Camel, IQ, Marillion, Djam Karet, Banco and Anglagard among others.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-01-2016 at 11:26 PM.

I would really LOVE a "RASH" T-shirt. I bought a Yes t shirt a few years back but lets face it, a 60 yearold bald man in tye-dye just looks about as desperate (and gay) as anything one can imagine...

...Not that there's anything wrong with that...