Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix apprication thread.

Experience Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix appreciation thread.

I just bought Live At The Atlanta Pop Festival that came out last year. I don't know why because there's nothing new on offer, but Mr. H plays great and I dig it.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 03-04-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

How's the sound on this release? Hendrix could be a bit sloppy live sometimes, but most of the time the live stuff is worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    How's the sound on this release? Hendrix could be a bit sloppy live sometimes, but most of the time the live stuff is worth while.
    Excellent concert. He starts to go slightly out of tune on two songs near their end, but only a Hendrix fanatic like me would probably realize it. He's almost picture perfect on every song and the sound quality is very good.

I recently picked up the Miami '68 disc and it, too, is quite good. I'll have to check the Atlanta gig.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I don't think it's one of his better performances. I haven't heard the official release, though. It's really good, but not top-notch, IMO.

He had a terrible time staying in tune back in those days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    I saw the video based on that concert, it's called The Electric Church. The audio is good, and the performance is awesome.

Suspended
    Some of Hendrix's own songs are pretty good, and he absolutely nailed All Along the Watchtower, but I don't care for his more bluesy stuff like "Hey Joe" or "Red House".

Hendrix is one of those artists that I admire immensely without really wishing to own any of his albums.

The alternate version of Spanish Castle Magic - where the band just jams out on it live in the studio - I heard at a friend's house and bought the Experience Hendrix boxed set just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Some of Hendrix's own songs are pretty good, and he absolutely nailed All Along the Watchtower, but I don't care for his more bluesy stuff like "Hey Joe" or "Red House". Hendrix is one of those artists that I admire immensely without really wishing to own any of his albums.
    Different strokes. I put together an entire CD of different versions of "Red House" by Jimi, and it's probably the best Hendrix album I own.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Different strokes. I put together an entire CD of different versions of "Red House" by Jimi, and it's probably the best Hendrix album I own.
    I've been considering doing that for many years. I think I have enough to fill at least three discs. Do you have a particular favorite?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hey Joe??? I didn't even realize that it was blues... more like needles and pins.

Until I heard this...

Next someone will be telling me Satisfaction is blues based.

My favourite Hendrix blues recording is that filmed acoustic version of 'Hear My Train A Comin'...notable as he seldom if ever used acoustic guitar on his singles/albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    My favourite Hendrix blues recording is that filmed acoustic version of 'Hear My Train A Comin'...notable as he seldom if ever used acoustic guitar on his singles/albums.

Actually that Blues CD which contains that I'm playing now- full of great playing, most of it isn't on other (official) albums that I know of.

I still have my "Electric Church" tour booklet, from '69:

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I still have my "Electric Church" tour booklet, from '69:

I'm not worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Do you have a particular favorite?
    Wow, they're all good -- but I have a sentimental fondness for July 17, 1970, New York Pop, Randall's Island.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That's a good one f'sure.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.

New York Pop, Randall's Island.
    I was in attendance. Can't comment specifically on "Red House" but, overall, a comparatively sub-par gig. Judging by the dirty looks he threw in Cox's direction, Jimi wasn't happy; I recall his amps picking up a radio signal, à la Spinal Tap. My worst festival experience.

I was in attendance. Can't comment specifically on "Red House" but, overall, a comparatively sub-par gig. Judging by the dirty looks he threw in Cox's direction, Jimi wasn't happy; I recall his amps picking up a radio signal, à la Spinal Tap. My worst festival experience.
    I agree, not very good.

The Electric Church "Red House" on the "Blues" CD kills. The acoustic one certainly is top-notch, too.

I have a hard time picking a favorite. They are all so different from one another.

Same thing happened in his Isle Of Wight show of the same year.

Hopefully one day the decades-long snafu concerning the Royal Albert Hall footage will be resolved. Doesn't seem to have been a particularly cohesive audio release of that material either. 'Little Wing' from one of those shows is one for the ages...at least that's been on a few collections over the years.