Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Yes : Yessongs

The best sounding live album from that period ...love itĄ Its probably the most unique live album ever released . No re-recorded in studio on this one. The playing is stellar so no need to!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I found this list of triple albums:

1. Library of Congress Recordings Woody Guthrie (1964)
    2. Woodstock by Various Artists (11 May 1970)
    3. All Things Must Pass George Harrison (30 November 1970) The first non-compilation triple album by a single artist.
    4. The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (1970)
    5. The Concert for Bangla Desh by Various Artists (20 December 1971)
    6. Escalator Over the Hill by Carla Bley & Paul Haines (1971)
    7. Delusion of the Fury by Harry Partch (1971)
    8. Europe '72 by Grateful Dead (5 November 1972)
    9. Will the Circle Be Unbroken by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1972)
    10. Yessongs by Yes (27 April 1973)
    Interesting. I'd always thought Woodstock was the first triple.

When I bought Yessongs on CD I thought I'd been cheated, because it was a double-CD - had to check the track list. LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

YesShows is better. Deal with it.

This album is a solid desert-island classic. The fact this band was recorded during their firey assent to Prog glory is a gift that we should not dismiss as it will be available for all future generations to enjoy. The definitive versions of each of these songs. CttE, YinD, SK, AYaI, HotS are near-perfect...Yeah, the recording is a bit murky but it doesn't matter to me. I hope to be listening to this album on the day that I die.

Once upon a time (I think it was 10th grade) I was riding my bike on a Saturday morning when I came upon a yard sale. I stopped to look at what they had and there was a box of records for sale. Looking through it, I saw that they had Yessongs for $1.00. I remembered liking some of this album when my older brother would check it out from the library, and I had a dollar in my pocket, so I bought it. Riding home on my bike with a record under one arm was a challenge, but I made it.

And then my life was changed. New synapses formed in my brain and nothing was ever the same. It was that powerful.

Best album ever. End of story.

I heard the studio albums first so this one was a bit of a shock when I first heard it. I put on Roundabout and expected that usual intro and got a piano solo instead. I ordered this through Columbia House record club, it counted as three boxes on the little card. I doubt I could have sprung for it at the time. I was surprised by the rawness but eventually grew to love most all of it. Best live Siberian K EVER!!!!!!!! I think it got slower from that day forward, but here it totally SMOKES. YIND, PC and HOTS are great too. The rest I can take or leave.

No one has mentioned that it had such cool art work! And a book full of great photos that covered my wall in my bedroom. I too fondly recall purchasing this after hearing it at Boy Scout Camp one summer (a friend had it on cassette). It was a milestone at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    No one has mentioned that it had such cool art work! And a book full of great photos that covered my wall in my bedroom. I too fondly recall purchasing this after hearing it at Boy Scout Camp one summer (a friend had it on cassette). It was a milestone at the time.
    I agree,Roger Dean's most ambitious effort for an album package-4 sep. paintings.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I knew someone was going to say that; that's why I added the "note." I was thinking about Great Deceiver or some of the KCCC releases, but I guess Fripp had the benefit of enhancing these recordings with some modern technology. Still, those recordings sound so much better.
    Well yeah,TGD was released in 1994. I am listening to it while I drive to/fro work this week. It sounds great and of course way better than Yessongs because the remixing/remastering tech stuff is so much more advanced. That's why I said it wasn't a fair comparison because of the advances in sound tech 22 years in the future. I have never,since buying the lp/8-trak in 1973 complained about the sound. The first time I did that was the ELP triple disc. Horrible production. Anyway Polmico,you have your view and I have mine and enjoy what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I love this album. One of my fondest memories of being a teenager is of my dad driving me to the record store (before I got my license) so that I could buy this triple-LP set. It was a beautiful autumn day and I remember the excitement of buying that album and taking it home. What a buzz. And then the sheer pleasure of listening to all six sides! A question, though: why is there still no new remaster of this available? All the other Yes titles were remastered around 2003, with the exception of Yessongs. That's a weird omission. The version on the market now is okay, but it was remastered in 1994. Seems to me the label could compile a really tasty deluxe boxed set around the existing tapes plus, perhaps, previously unreleased material. Along with new photos, a book, etc. Rhino Records: are you listening?
    Really? Aren’t there enough of these money-grab remasters trying to con us into buying the same records again and again? You’re saying we need more of them?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:nothing

It was remastered in 1999 by Pacific Microsonics/Japan and virtually everyone hates it. It's the only one I own on cd,but I kept my mint- vinyl just in case. I use to have the Gastwirt but I seem to have misplaced for over 3 years one of the 2 discs.

There is also a recent remaster in SHM Japan that is a fortune,but said by some in here to sound fantastic. I don't understand the loathing for the PM Rm's myself. It was never a pristine recording anyway,so what exactly is so wrong with those 1999's? I'm not asking to stir up shit I just want to learn....you all know that about me by now right? n.p. Unlabeled Jazz on Sirious Real Jazz. These birdbrains can't figure out that it says "Music artist/title info not available."

I listened to it a lot back when it came out, haven't heard it for decades now so I'm just now checking a few moments from it on Youtube. It's like I remembered: great energy, messy sound but I think that messy sound actually adds to the energetic feel. Never cared for the "extended solos" like the middle of Yours is no Disgrace (saw them live many times in the 70's and felt the same then) but the overall energy is really good and rockin.

I didn't like it at first because of the recording quality but the first thing that really impressed me was Perpetual Change with its very clever ending. I just wish they could have recreated the original stereo effects in the live version. But that was what got me hooked on Yessongs.. I still like the original versions better but The Fish alone is worth the price of the album. Not to mention the only live performances with Bruford up to then.

wonderful raw powerful live YES when they were a rock band first and a prog band second lol.
    Last edited by yogibear; 01-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    YesShows is better. Deal with it.
    squire fanboy!

Anyone ever clean a 1/4lb on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    There is also a recent remaster in SHM Japan that is a fortune,but said by some in here to sound fantastic.
    Not said by me. I think it is horrible, and no better than the crappy HDCD version from Japan.

My digital remaster by Joe Gastwirt sounds just fine !

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    when they were a rock band first and a prog band second
    This is well put but I'd go even further. I usually refer to Yes as "better than prog". All the other prog bands were nerdy. Yes was hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Rick should have recorded a studio version of Yours Is No Disgrace imho.
    God. God and Baby Jesus. No. A thousand times no. I love Rick, but his little no-Leslie-wet-fart of an organ can not begin to approach the mighty all encompassing awesomeness of Tony Kay's sound. The organ on the studio recording of YinD is basically the best rock organ sound ever committed to tape.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    squire fanboy!
    *lol* That and a Moraz fanboy too! Admittedly, there is Side One of YesShows... but we can pretend that never happened...

Several years ago, on a three hour drive to go skiing, a friend suggested we play Led Zeppelin's "new" CD "How the West was Won", which as most PE'ers know features recordings of the band playing live at the LA Forum and Long Beach Arena in 1972. It was great to hear the old concerts, and on the way home I suggested we listed to another album recorded in 1972.

Of course my selection was Yessongs. My friend, an excellent guitar player, but not a Yes fan, was blown away by the album. He knew that Yes was technically sophisticated, but unaware that they could sound so heavy and rocking (his words)--especially SK, ST, CTTE and YIND. Though he stills prefers Zeppelin, he went so far as to say that on many levels Yessongs is superior to How the West was Won.

It was many years ago that I received my original three album version of Yessongs as a gift, and despite the numerous production problems noted by others, I still find it to be the best live rock album ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Anyone ever clean a 1/4lb on it?
    we always used CTTE- the bonging national anthem

Kinda not fair about the Crimson comparison....Earthbound sounded like it was recorded over the telephone and Robert knew it should not have been released in that state.
    Fripp also knew he owed the record company another album, so he should brought a good quality two track tape machine (at the very least) on tour to record the album. Instead, he wimped out, and used a cassette deck! That's why Earthbound sounds the way it does! If it had been recorded on a Studer or a Nagra, with the proper mixing gear, it would have sound much MUCH nicer.

As far as Welcome Back My Friends goes, my understanding is that Lake added a lot of reverb during the mixing session. I think I've read that the King Biscuit radio broadcast, which had material from the same show, used a different mix with less reverb.

There are a couple of anomalies regarding Yessongs,but first I have to agree with Duncan and Yogi,this is my all time favorite live album. Ok, here I go: 1. Your Move DOES NOT contain John Lennon's "all we are saying is give peace a chance" and seems to be the only place ttbomk where it doesn't.
    They don't do it on the 90125 tour either. Or at least, it's not on 9012Live. Trevor plays guitar fills where the Lennon quote would go on that version. I've got one or two bootlegs from that tour, I'd have to listen to them again to see if that's the way it was done every night, or if they just mixed it out for publishing reasons.

2. And You And I starts out with the bridge in a lower key,CTTE version and all other live versions except Q.P.R use the acoustic harmonics played by Steve with Rick on organ. I have always wondered why Yes changed the arrangement for this album and again at Q.P.R. 2 years down the road,then went back to the studio version from then on,except maybe YesWest's version on YesYears....but at this moment I can't remember.
    I'm pretty sure they do the Yessongs style arrangement on every tour during the 70's. I think the earliest version I've heard where Steve does the acoustic intro as per the album is on the Drama tour. They definitely do the Yessongs style arrangement on the bootlegs I've heard from the 90125 and Big Generator.