Thread: Prog in Ireland

Prog in Ireland

Hi,
    curiously Acid Dragon gets no subscribers from Ireland and gets no records from that gorgeous island. No prog fandom and scene since Fruupp ?
    Cheers,
    Thierry

Suspended
    "Prog" even sounds like an Irish word.

No Prog in Ireland? Well, I'm sure they do have their own Prog music scene and such!

Dead Heroes Club have 3 albums since 2004...last coming in 2013
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Maybe I'm just not thinking of it, but Winter was the last band considered Progressive Rock that I remember from Ireland, in the early 90s. I think they sounded more like AOR to me, but I haven't played that disc in many years.

Banned

Banned

Banned
    Jim Griffin from Limerick, Ireland.

http://therangerandthecleric.bandcam...and-the-cleric

If UBS is doing Prog-Rock now, then they've changed quite a bit since I first looked into them.

Horslips: The Tain. The starting point of true Celtic Prog!

Concerning the T�in.

Ireland's most exciting saga is, undoubtedly, T�in Bo Cuailgne (The Cattle Raid of Cooley), the centrepiece of the Ulster cycle of Heroic Tales. Normally referred to as "The T�in", it deals with the conflict between the forces of Connacht and Ulster for the possession of a prize bull.

The events of the T�in are estimated to have taken place in Ireland approximately 500 B.C.

The earliest written version of the T�in known to us is contained in the Book of the Dun Cow, which dates from the 12th century. Before this the story was kept alive by storytellers.

Two other manuscript versions are also available; the 12th century Book of Leinster and the 14th century Yellow Book of Lecan.

The T�in, as Ireland's equivalent of the Aeneid, has long intrigued historians, academics and writers.

The Story

One night in bed, the promiscuous Connacht Queen, Maeve, quarrels with her husband Ailill. They argue over who has the most wealth. Ailill doesn't like the suggestion that he's a kept man.
    "Her words were sharp they cut him deep, in a war between the sheets".

Ailill's magnificent White Bull is the deciding factor in which their subsequent measuring of possessions. Maeve's a bad loser. MacRoth, her messenger, goes to Cooley to rent the famed Brown Bull for a year, thus giving Maeve the decider.
    "I once told her where she could find her dream."

The Bull's owner is agreeable until MacRoth and his party get very drunk and reveal that had they not been allowed to borrow the bull they would have taken it by force. The deal breaks down. They go home empty handed. Maeve decides on war.

Having marshalled all her warriors, and allies from Munster and Tara, and with Ailill's six brothers and their armies standing by, Maeve receives favourable omens from her Druids.

The long march to Cooley begins.

"The Champions and the Seven Sons are come to take away the Donn".
    However, a sorceress appears and warns Maeve of impending defeat at the hands of Dearg Doom, Cu Chulainn.

"Saw the host stained red in war, saw the hero-light around the head of a dragon-boy."
    The warning is ignored.

Meanwhile the men of Ulster are ill with labour pains, the legacy of a curse put on them for their inhuman treatment of a pregnant woman. The one man exempt from this curse is Cu Chulainn, whose very birth is shrouded in mystery. Single handedly he takes on the defence of Ulster, harassing Maeve's soldiers,
    "And like a hawk I’ll swoop and swoop again" beheading those who stray from the main force. "You can hear me shout 'two heads are better than none, one hundred heads are so much better than one!'"

Cu Chulainn is a hard man. Originally called Setanta, he became known as Cu Chulainn - the Hound of Culann, because of his savagery.

As the Connacht losses grow greater, the deposed King of Ulster, Fergus Mac Roich, who is having a secret affair with Maeve, meets Cu Chulainn and arranges a treaty.

Cu Chulainn agrees to single-handed combat with any Connacht champion provided Maeve's army does not advance.

One by one, day after day, he defeats each warrior until eventually he faces his old foster-brother and close friend, Ferdia. Cu Chulainn pleads with Ferdia to leave.
    "But Ferdia just laughed and shook his golden head and then they fell to battle again."

For three days they fight at a ford and appear evenly matched until on the third day Cu Chulainn flies into a rage and lets loose his super-natural javelin, the terrible Gae Bolga, which destroys his friend.

As Ferdia falls, Cu Chulainn catches him and carries him to the riverbank lamenting.
    "Life was a game, Now I miss your name; your golden hair."
    Then overcome by despair Cu Chulainn abandons the fight. Maeve's army moves south with the stolen bull.

The Ulstermen rally and with Cu Chulainn back in their ranks they give chase.
    "But before you hit off, let me say this time you bit off more than you can chew!"

The Morrigan, Queen of Demons, who has been encouraging slaughter all along prophesies the outcome. In the battle which follows, the Connacht army is routed.
    "It seems our fortunes lied despite our gain. Our tears fall like our pride."

Maeve's life is spared by Cu Chulainn. As the Ulstermen are taking the Brown Bull home they meet Ailill's Bull, the White-Horned One. The Donn immediately attacks the White.
    "You can fool them alright but can you fool the beast?"

All day and night they are locked in combat. Morning sees the Donn victorious. The armies consider destroying him, the cause of all their suffering, but leave him as, dying, he staggers homewards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Tracks
    Setanta
    Maeves Court
    Charolais
    The March
    You Can't Fool The Beast
    Dearg Doom
    Ferdia's Song
    Gae Bolga
    Cu Chulainn's Lament
    Faster Than The Hound
    The Silver Spear
    More Than You Can Chew
    The Morrigan's Dream
    Time To Kill
    Last edited by StevegSr; 02-29-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It is, its the word farmers use to call in the cows, like a trapper shouting mush to his dogs or a shepherd shouting "come by" to his dog
    Progaí is a word used to soothe cows during milking e.g. progaí-Daisy, progaí.

Quote Originally Posted by Ier View Post
    I'm sure they do have their own Prog music scene and such!
    eeerr...No, not really.

We've only ever had a handful of prog rock bands, and even then most of them were rooted in Irish folk, hard rock or pop.

BUT there is M-Opus who make 70s style symphonic prog

And this is Jonathan Casey from M-Opus who toured with David Cross for years.

And this is Jonathan Casey's cover of a Peter G song.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Horslips: The Tain.
    Yeah, I think the OP was inquiring about the current state of Progressive Rock in Ireland.

Sort of prog, mostly post rock...but God is an Astronaut hail from the Emerald Isle!
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It is, its the word farmers use to call in the cows, like a trapper shouting mush to his dogs or a shepherd shouting "come by" to his dog
    Progaí is a word used to soothe cows during milking e.g. progaí-Daisy, progaí.
    "Prog, dog, come for a jog in the bog."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I think the OP was inquiring about the current state of Progressive Rock in Ireland.
    I figured as much but just wanted to plug an old favorite. Not much chance to expound upon Horslips these days. And expound upon The Tain I most certainly did.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Good call on M-Opus. One of my top discoveries of the past year!

Here’s a ridiculously obscure choice, Supply, Demand & Curve. I never even knew about them until recently!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Except in Irish, it would be spelled something like “promhmhlhghghíagh.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Good call on M-Opus. One of my top discoveries of the past year!

Here’s a ridiculously obscure choice, Supply, Demand & Curve. I never even knew about them until recently!

Except in Irish, it would be spelled something like “promhmhlhghghíagh.”
    No, you can't have an L between consonants like that in Irish

But just for shits & giggles, if we remove that impossible L and insert a very necessary vowel A,

"promhmhahghghíagh" we get the pronunciation "prow-aye-eee".

For the record though:
    rac-cheol siansach = symphonic rock music
    rac-cheol forásach = progressive rock music
    ceol sícideileach = psychedelic music
    ceol turgnamhach = experimental music

Certainly not contemporary, but I've always thought Taste's "On The Boards" had prog leanings in some places (It Happened Before, It'll Happen Again, Morning Sun)...obviously rooted in Rory's love of blues but with a bit of boundary-stretching. Although I enjoy bits and pieces of his later output it seems a shame that he seemed content to confine himself to the more traditional blues structure. I will always wonder why he chose to confine himself to the more traditional blues/folk structure.

Prog mahone!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Certainly not contemporary, but I've always thought Taste's "On The Boards" had prog leanings in some places (It Happened Before, It'll Happen Again, Morning Sun)...obviously rooted in Rory's love of blues but with a bit of boundary-stretching. Although I enjoy bits and pieces of his later output it seems a shame that he seemed content to confine himself to the more traditional blues structure. I will always wonder why he chose to confine himself to the more traditional blues/folk structure.
    +1