Thread: Anybody else like Grand Magus?

Anybody else like Grand Magus?

I was listening to them this afternoon and bought the first two albums... er CDs. Got to hear their 3rd one soon.

I liked them in their first three albums where they toyed with a hybrid of stoner rock (early Orange Goblin comes to mind here), doom metal and 80s US influenced epic power stuff. For me their better albums is the wonderful Wolf´s Return; a minor classic that crushes in its raw, huge riffing metal destruction. Their fourth album Iron Will finds them freed from their earlier doom influences, changing direction to a more upbeat NWoBHM sound while retaining the strong and memorable songwriting of the previous album.

I was extremely deceived when they limited themselves entirely to a typical 80s anthemic power metal unit with next album Hammer Of The North and stopped following them since.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm not really familiar with most of the bands of the NWoBHM, and those I do know I don't really like.

I'd recommend the above-mentioned "Wolf's Return" as well as "Monument". Those are the only 2 I own.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have Monument.

I love JB's vocals on the Spiritual Beggars albums so I thought this band would be a slam-dunk. I owned all the Grand Magus albums at one time or another and none of them had staying power. They weren't bad, they just weren't great.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I like them, but they lack a bluesy quality that I really like in a lot of music. e.g. I like Goatsnake more than I like Grand Magus, but GM is still worth listening to.